VHF GPS DSC usage poll

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What functionality have you used on your VHF radio

• GPS internally

Votes: 21 44.7%
  • GPS - connected externally

Votes: 31 66.0%
  • DSC Distress call -Rescue 21

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • DSC - call bridge to bridge

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • DSC - all boats call - announcement

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • DSC - Test call to USCG MMSI

Votes: 11 23.4%

• Total voters
Agreed, BUT... Those options are nowhere near as easy to use as a cell phone. Most radios have neither a proper keypad nor a high-resolution display, so it's a lot of taps to enter anything. Just finding the option in the menu can be a challenge on many radios.

I'm hoping newer generation radios start making the menus and displays more like a cell phone. Maybe some already do. But typically the UI on marine devices are primitive compared to other consumer technology.

I suspect this is one of the reasons most people don't bother with any of the MMSI options.

So someone needs to come up with a VHF radio that has a Bluetooth service and can connect to a cellphone app. The app would give you a decent UI to program/manage your VHF radio settings.

Sort of how you can control and set your Fusion radio via an app.

Maybe a total black box radio that uses the phone as a mic/handeld?

Last edited:
I'm hoping newer generation radios start making the menus and displays more like a cell phone.

The "coming soon" Vesper Cortex (modular AIS and VHF) has a mic that looks somewhat smartphone like. I was thinking maybe too screen-based as just a mic (I'm one who likes controls I can just hit by feel for everyday tasks), but I can see where it could be great for some things (such as DSC). I wish it would roll out because I'm on the verge of buying an XB-8000 (AIS transponder) and would like to see the Cortex AIS base available to compare.

The Cortex mic is the one on the left.

https://www2.vespermarine.com/cortex

cortex-family-vhf-ais-monitor.jpg

Probably not. If your phone battery runs down, you couldn't use the radio.

Need power for the black box...if it had a usb port it might work....

Was thinking of it as a primary for convenience, but only if you had a backup anyhow.

So someone needs to come up with a VHF radio that has a Bluetooth service and can connect to a cellphone app. The app would give you a decent UI to program/manage your VHF radio settings.

I was thinking of the way InReach works. You can use it stand-alone, but you can optionally configure it and send and receive texts via your cell phone, using your cell phone's contact list or the contact list in the device.

I do like the black-box radio idea, too, as long as you can connect a physical mic. I think those are available now, forget which manufacturers.

The "coming soon" Vesper Cortex (modular AIS and VHF) has a mic that looks somewhat smartphone like. I was thinking maybe too screen-based as just a mic (I'm one who likes controls I can just hit by feel for everyday tasks), but I can see where it could be great for some things (such as DSC). I wish it would roll out because I'm on the verge of buying an XB-8000 (AIS transponder) and would like to see the Cortex AIS base available to compare.

I'd wait. Vesper has gone totally dark on the XB-8000. I have one. No promised firmware updates, no mention that there's any further development on that line. I think they're pulling a Garmin on us and treating it like it's obsolete and not worthy of further support.

For the same reason, I'd wait on Cortex, too. It does sound great, but I want to be able to keep my hardware more than a year or two before being told it's obsolete and I should go buy the newer, shinier model.

I'd wait. Vesper has gone totally dark on the XB-8000. I have one. No promised firmware updates, no mention that there's any further development on that line.

For the same reason, I'd wait on Cortex, too. It does sound great, but I want to be able to keep my hardware more than a year or two before being told it's obsolete and I should go buy the newer, shinier model.

Yeah, it seems like an awkward, in-between time to be buying.

Your experience is disappointing to hear (but good to know, so thanks). One reason I was sticking with my plan of the XB-8000 (vs. another basic/cheaper transponder) was my impression of Vesper as the good guys, super responsive, customer loyal, etc.

I like the anchor alarm and flexible NMEA interface options of the XB-8000. Don't really need SODTMA or a smartphone type VHF (but for purposes of DSC functions in this thread it could be really slick). But don't really want to pay relatively premium price if mfgr regards as obsolete. Food for thought, thanks.

I should have said, my XB-8000 is fantastic hardware. It sports a good combination of capabilities, not the least of which are NMEA over WiFi and the smart phone app. There are only select NMEA data types converted, however. That's one of the promises Vesper made but never followed through on. They were certainly one of the "good guys." I used to sing their praises every chance I got. I think hardware-wise, the rest of the industry is catching up, while support-wise, Vesper is coming down to their level.

Having used class B AIS now for a while, I'd definitely be interested in SODTMA if I was outfitting a boat today. I'll reserve judgement on Cortex. It's a bold move, but time will tell if that really beats out the old-fashioned handheld mic for regular use.

You use DSC to open bridges? That sounds cool, how do you do that?

Can't wait to hear myself since I got a lot of them to open in Mar/Apr/May.

dont you?

Not unless bridges now have MMSIs assigned and posted so they can be entered into my VHF radio's DSC directory so that I can make a DSC call to them.

My quick reply is that I’ve never used the DSC function. But now I’m curious. Thanks for the posting (and the survey does need the “zero option”).

+1, use to call the marina, now if I can find the damn book:)

I have an ICOM M3240 and it takes less button punches to make a DSC station to station call than a cell phone does. To enter a number into memory on your cell phone is a whole bunch of button clicks to store it into memory, almost exactly like your radio. Not a lot of difference.
I know a bunch of people that have flip phones and won't give them up for a modern cell phone because the modern ones are too complicated. I am reading a lot of comparables here.

To use the red covered emergency button properly you should punch a few choice buttons as well to tell everyone out there in radio land what your emergency is. You are ALSO supposed to follow up the red button push with a verbal MAYDAY on 16 as per normal.

DSC is technologically farther ahead than your cell phone in some respects (I know, you didn't want to hear that) in the way it can send a call to help to every DSC equipped boat in it's radio range, tell them what your emergency is and where you are. The alarm GETS there attention and then they listen on 16 to your voice follow-up of the emergency. It alarms them even if they are on a different channel, even if they aren't paying attention, even if their radio is turned down, even if they are down below grabbing a coffee.

Your DSC can tell you how many other DSC radios are in range and turned on to hear your call. It can shout out to your buddies and tell you where they are without them lifting a finger (provided their radio is set to auto respond). Or tell them where you are. With AIS your DSC radio can call another boat shown on your screen with the push of a couple buttons. With DSC you can do a radio function test without pestering anyone and without CGR reaming you out for misusing 16.

Reading this thread makes me realize a few of you need to spend a bit of time in front of your radio with your nose in the manual. It's real easy gang! You push a few buttons and twist a knob. It makes it real easy if the radio is mounted somewhere that you can see and access the faceplate.

"I can't find my buddies MMSI." So how did you get their cell number? Cell numbers aren't in the phonebook. Somewhere one of you had to tell the other what your number is and had to punch it into the cellphone. Sound pretty equal there.

Any vessels that send an AIS signal is sending you their MMSI. Your buddies all should share. CG publications should have MMSI's for all bridges, locks and the like.

OR you can look up MMSI's (unlike a cellphone number) by going to... https://www.itu.int/en/ITU-R/terrestrial/mars/Pages/default.aspx

In Canada ...
https://sd.ic.gc.ca/pls/engdoc_anon/mmsi_search.Ship

https://sms-sgs.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/sms-sgs-prod.nsf/eng/h_00024.html

As to pushing a few buttons....some ratios have keypads, many do not.

Only recently have the screens become easily readable on almost all radios.

For awhile.... scrolling through the whole alphabet on a screen you could hardly see to put in one letter was beyond most people's patience levels...certainly not like wpentering a cell phone number.

But I do agree that it is getting easier and DSC is a useful tool for those that want to use it, but for many, it still is not a high priority.

Reading this thread makes me realize a few of you need to spend a bit of time in front of your radio with your nose in the manual. It's real easy gang! You push a few buttons and twist a knob. It makes it real easy if the radio is mounted somewhere that you can see and access the faceplate.

"I can't find my buddies MMSI." So how did you get their cell number? Cell numbers aren't in the phonebook. Somewhere one of you had to tell the other what your number is and had to punch it into the cellphone. Sound pretty equal there.

I agree with most of what you say. I spend a LOT of time in front of various VHF radios. But my experience is very different from yours.

Punching in a number on most VHF radios is nothing like doing so on a cell phone. Remember, not everyone has the top-of the line, latest model!

First of all, the MMSI number is longer than a phone number. On a radio without a numeric keypad, it's tedious at best. With a crappy display, even worse. The options are often hidden way down in a menu tree. Punching in a name to match the number is even worse.

Every model radio is different. Cell phones are basically of two types. Anyone can pick one up and use it without even looking at a manual. We use them every day and are familiar with them. They have a large, high-res display. They're designed specifically to make entering names and addresses easy.

Believe me, as soon as I find someone else willing to share MMSI numbers, I'll start using them. I'm willing to invest a few minutes with the manual and a few more pushing "up" and "down" buttons to enter the name and ID.

Most people aren't.

Last edited:
I'd wait. Vesper has gone totally dark on the XB-8000. I have one. No promised firmware updates, no mention that there's any further development on that line. I think they're pulling a Garmin on us and treating it like it's obsolete and not worthy of further support.

Garmin and the Fusion Apollo has been the same. Same utterly terrible app, same horrible on-unit user interface, same unreliable wireless connectivity. I fully expect it to be abandoned by Garmin. The whole thing smacks of a development team that wasn't able to deliver, management that made promises and Garmin getting stuck with junk that nobody there wants to address.

I'm interested in replacing my Icom VHF setup, in favor of something with friendly on-ship intercom features. That and support for a hailer from more than just the base station. The Cortex could be interesting, but I'd absolutely want a tethered handset for the helm stations. Wireless for stateroom/galley would be convenient.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom