DSC - all boats call - announcement 4 8.51%
DSC - Test call to USCG MMSI 11 23.40%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-03-2020, 08:28 PM   #21
Veteran Member

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Voyager
Vessel Model: Universal 39' Europa Trawler
Like many here, I have programmed and understand my DSC radios from the docs but never used the feature.

Yes, I’d push the red button in an emergency situation.

In ham radio we organized ‘nets’, or meetups for local communities and hf long range nets too especially to practice coordinated communications

Has anyone heard of a local DSC net being used to practice use of the feature? Any chance a CG Aux would coordinate something like this?

Otherwise it’s not useful beyond the fated red button
warfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:06 AM   #22
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olebird View Post
Jeff, at first blush DSC appears to be another gooberment mandated solution - for which there is/was no problem. The emergency aspects are surly better than voice only calls but hardly idiot proof.
Not really......even small vessel DSC was becoming popular in Europe a decade before the US got started.

Wikipedia

For these reasons, the International Maritime Organization (IMO), a United Nations agency specializing in safety of shipping and preventing ships from polluting the seas, began looking at ways of improving maritime distress and safety communications. In 1979, a group of experts drafted the International Convention on Maritime Search and Rescue, which called for development of a global search and rescue plan. This group also passed a resolution calling for development by IMO of a Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS) to provide the communication support needed to implement the search and rescue plan. This new system, which the world's maritime nations are implementing, is based upon a combination of satellite and terrestrial radio services, and has changed international distress communications from being primarily ship-to-ship based to ship-to-shore (Rescue Coordination Center) based. It spelled the end of Morse code communications for all but a few users, such as amateur radio operators. The GMDSS provides for automatic distress alerting and locating in cases where a radio operator doesn't have time to send an SOS or MAYDAY call, and, for the first time, requires ships to receive broadcasts of maritime safety information which could prevent a disaster from happening in the first place. In 1988, IMO amended the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS) Convention,[3] requiring ships subject to it fit GMDSS equipment. Such ships were required to carry NAVTEX and satellite EPIRBs by August 1, 1993, and had to fit all other GMDSS equipment by February 1, 1999. US ships were allowed to fit GMDSS in lieu of Morse telegraphy equipment by the
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 01:48 PM   #23

City: BOCA RATON
Vessel Name: RE:LAX
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 44 CPMY
I use it quite a bit sending/receiving buddy boat positions when headed to and while in the Bahamas. I am surprised more folks, incl coast guard don't use when sending out and relaying pan-pans and maydays. I can never write down the GPS coords fast enough to be able to put them in a MFD to see how far away the boat needing help is. If the coords were transmitted using DSC I'm sure more people would respond. I've never used it to call someone, just track them.
heatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 02:25 PM   #24
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
I can see, many of us need to find a school to learn about DSC.
Put my name on the top of the list assuming the class is not at a major boat show.
Old 02-05-2020, 02:49 PM   #25
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
I don't know if a school would help. Far more helpful, I think, would be an app. Or any way to easily maintain a contact list of MMSI numbers associated with names.

Keying MMSI numbers into the VHF radios I've used just isn't practical. People don't even type in phone numbers any more. You get someone to call your cell phone, then "save as a contact." You never even need to know their number.

Until VHF radios can do the same thing (or connect to an app that can do it) I don't see them getting much use by the casual boater.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 04:27 PM   #26

City: Guntersville, Al
Vessel Name: StarLite
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II - 2003
DSC MMSI use

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I don't know if a school would help. Far more helpful, I think, would be an app. Or any way to easily maintain a contact list of MMSI numbers associated with names.

Keying MMSI numbers into the VHF radios I've used just isn't practical. People don't even type in phone numbers any more. You get someone to call your cell phone, then "save as a contact." You never even need to know their number.

Until VHF radios can do the same thing (or connect to an app that can do it) I don't see them getting much use by the casual boater.

Tom, most DSC radios provide a very similar function as you cell phone. You can key Names & MMSI into the rados directory (contact file). Like your cell, you can then select a boat and make an individual DSC call, position request or send position.

And, Like the "call history" on your cell, your DSC radio has a call log. You can view the log and initiate a call from the log using the MMSI from the log, never having to enter the name/MMSI manually - just like your cell!

What I haven't found is a way to copy data from the "log" to the "directory". I have a call into Standard Horizon on that subject.
Olebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 04:49 PM   #27

City: Guntersville, Al
Vessel Name: StarLite
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II - 2003
Further - you can use the "All Ships" safety mode to send your Name/mmsi data to all ships with in range. Once you have exchanged DSC data and have it in the log, things get simple.

Another interesting feature is the "polling" or "tracking" mode, Once you have a ships MMSI - you can use the "polling" mode to request periodic position reports, there by tracking the boat over time - my radio will track 4 boats simultaneously - and its all automatic - on both ends.

It also post those position reports on the chart plotter.
Olebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 09:13 PM   #28
Guru

City: West Coast
There is another use for DSC not mentioned in the poll -- group calling. Very handy for stuff like YC cruises and wolf pack fishing trips. DSC is especially convenient in combination with AIS, where it can be used to hail an AIS contact directly instead of by name. One time as I was about 60 miles offshore, near Navy war games, I heard the navy repeatedly trying to hail a commercial cruise ship. After about 10 minutes, the cruise ship answered and followed Navy instructions to alter course. The cruise ship's new course was a collision course with mine, although we were still 4 - 5 miles apart. Rather than trying to hail the cruise ship (though, in fairness, they may have started to listen to their radio), I made a direct DSC call to it, which was promptly answered (it is hard to ignore the radio's alert tone). Very handy.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:33 PM   #29

City: NW Washington State
Vessel Name: Kingfisher
Vessel Model: 37' converted gillnetter/crabber
I use the GPS/AIS out on my Standard Horizon to feed my primary nav system, Coastal Explorer on a laptop. There is a secondary unit, an older SH combination VHF/plotter. Both have the red button, which I very much appreciate and find comforting; Donna is much more comfortable knowing that feature exists in the event that I am incapacitated, as am I in the event of a catastrophic vessel casualty.

I have to agree with the prevailing view that routine use of DSC is far too complicated for the vast majority of users. It's easy to initiate such a call from the AIS screen, but entering MMSI numbers manually is a non-starter and managing the radio's contact list is a PITA.

I have heard several actual actuations of emergency calls, and they reinforce the usefulness of the technology. Cell phones, however, are a couple of generations ahead in being accessible and user friendly in making calls. Until VHF manufacturers address the user interface, the potential of DSC will likely remain untapped.

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. ~The Dalai Lama
Sabre602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:15 AM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olebird View Post
Tom, most DSC radios provide a very similar function as you cell phone. You can key Names & MMSI into the rados directory (contact file). Like your cell, you can then select a boat and make an individual DSC call, position request or send position.
Agreed, BUT... Those options are nowhere near as easy to use as a cell phone. Most radios have neither a proper keypad nor a high-resolution display, so it's a lot of taps to enter anything. Just finding the option in the menu can be a challenge on many radios.

I'm hoping newer generation radios start making the menus and displays more like a cell phone. Maybe some already do. But typically the UI on marine devices are primitive compared to other consumer technology.

I suspect this is one of the reasons most people don't bother with any of the MMSI options.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:54 AM   #31
Guru

City: Southwest MI
Vessel Name: Sobelle
Vessel Model: C-Dory 22 Cruiser
Quote:
Agreed, BUT... Those options are nowhere near as easy to use as a cell phone. Most radios have neither a proper keypad nor a high-resolution display, so it's a lot of taps to enter anything. Just finding the option in the menu can be a challenge on many radios.

I'm hoping newer generation radios start making the menus and displays more like a cell phone. Maybe some already do. But typically the UI on marine devices are primitive compared to other consumer technology.

I suspect this is one of the reasons most people don't bother with any of the MMSI options.

So someone needs to come up with a VHF radio that has a Bluetooth service and can connect to a cellphone app. The app would give you a decent UI to program/manage your VHF radio settings.

Sort of how you can control and set your Fusion radio via an app.
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 10:56 AM   #32
Guru

Maybe a total black box radio that uses the phone as a mic/handeld?
Old 02-06-2020, 11:06 AM   #33
Guru

City: Southwest MI
Vessel Name: Sobelle
Vessel Model: C-Dory 22 Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Maybe a total black box radio that uses the phone as a mic/handeld?
Probably not. If your phone battery runs down, you couldn't use the radio.
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 11:18 AM   #34
Guru

City: US PNW
Quote:

I'm hoping newer generation radios start making the menus and displays more like a cell phone.
The "coming soon" Vesper Cortex (modular AIS and VHF) has a mic that looks somewhat smartphone like. I was thinking maybe too screen-based as just a mic (I'm one who likes controls I can just hit by feel for everyday tasks), but I can see where it could be great for some things (such as DSC). I wish it would roll out because I'm on the verge of buying an XB-8000 (AIS transponder) and would like to see the Cortex AIS base available to compare.

The Cortex mic is the one on the left.

https://www2.vespermarine.com/cortex

Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 11:19 AM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssobol View Post
Probably not. If your phone battery runs down, you couldn't use the radio.

Need power for the black box...if it had a usb port it might work....

Was thinking of it as a primary for convenience, but only if you had a backup anyhow.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:41 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssobol View Post
So someone needs to come up with a VHF radio that has a Bluetooth service and can connect to a cellphone app. The app would give you a decent UI to program/manage your VHF radio settings.
I was thinking of the way InReach works. You can use it stand-alone, but you can optionally configure it and send and receive texts via your cell phone, using your cell phone's contact list or the contact list in the device.

I do like the black-box radio idea, too, as long as you can connect a physical mic. I think those are available now, forget which manufacturers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
The "coming soon" Vesper Cortex (modular AIS and VHF) has a mic that looks somewhat smartphone like. I was thinking maybe too screen-based as just a mic (I'm one who likes controls I can just hit by feel for everyday tasks), but I can see where it could be great for some things (such as DSC). I wish it would roll out because I'm on the verge of buying an XB-8000 (AIS transponder) and would like to see the Cortex AIS base available to compare.
I'd wait. Vesper has gone totally dark on the XB-8000. I have one. No promised firmware updates, no mention that there's any further development on that line. I think they're pulling a Garmin on us and treating it like it's obsolete and not worthy of further support.

For the same reason, I'd wait on Cortex, too. It does sound great, but I want to be able to keep my hardware more than a year or two before being told it's obsolete and I should go buy the newer, shinier model.
Old 02-06-2020, 01:01 PM   #37
Guru

City: US PNW
Quote:

I'd wait. Vesper has gone totally dark on the XB-8000. I have one. No promised firmware updates, no mention that there's any further development on that line.

For the same reason, I'd wait on Cortex, too. It does sound great, but I want to be able to keep my hardware more than a year or two before being told it's obsolete and I should go buy the newer, shinier model.
Yeah, it seems like an awkward, in-between time to be buying.

Your experience is disappointing to hear (but good to know, so thanks). One reason I was sticking with my plan of the XB-8000 (vs. another basic/cheaper transponder) was my impression of Vesper as the good guys, super responsive, customer loyal, etc.

I like the anchor alarm and flexible NMEA interface options of the XB-8000. Don't really need SODTMA or a smartphone type VHF (but for purposes of DSC functions in this thread it could be really slick). But don't really want to pay relatively premium price if mfgr regards as obsolete. Food for thought, thanks.
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 03:58 PM   #38
Guru

I should have said, my XB-8000 is fantastic hardware. It sports a good combination of capabilities, not the least of which are NMEA over WiFi and the smart phone app. There are only select NMEA data types converted, however. That's one of the promises Vesper made but never followed through on. They were certainly one of the "good guys." I used to sing their praises every chance I got. I think hardware-wise, the rest of the industry is catching up, while support-wise, Vesper is coming down to their level.

Having used class B AIS now for a while, I'd definitely be interested in SODTMA if I was outfitting a boat today. I'll reserve judgement on Cortex. It's a bold move, but time will tell if that really beats out the old-fashioned handheld mic for regular use.
Old 02-07-2020, 03:42 PM   #39
Veteran Member

City: Plantation, Fl.
I only use mine to open bridges!
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 05:24 PM   #40
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismenace111 View Post
I only use mine to open bridges!
You use DSC to open bridges? That sounds cool, how do you do that?

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote