Vessel Capacity for MMSI application

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dhays

Guru
Vessel Name
Kinship
Vessel Make
North Pacific 43
I am filling out the application an MMSI. I need to go through the FCC since I will be going into Canada.

One of the questions they ask is Vessel Capacity, or the maximum number of persons on board. Any idea how to answer this question?

Hard to say...you can go between gross and net tonnage on documentation and calculate it even though that is bogus....just put down the max number you ever plan on having aboard as there is no real answer.

Just don't put down 3 crew and 51 illegal aliens....:D

Hard to say...you can go between gross and net tonnage on documentation and calculate it even though that is bogus....just put down the max number you ever plan on having aboard as there is no real answer.

Just don't put down 3 crew and 51 illegal aliens....:D

I ended up just counting the max possible number of sleeping berths, which is 8 on this boat.

I ended up just counting the max possible number of sleeping berths, which is 8 on this boat.

Same here - I just counted berths, since there is no capacity plate on boats as big as ours, as there are on smaller ones. Don't think it makes much difference anyway.

Isn't the math- length x beam divided by 15 for boats that are over 16' this not having capacity listed or something close to that

That formula is such a gross miscalculation for most cabin/larger boats....wouldn't use it even to guess....

At some point stability is an issue more than just how much weight a boat can carry.

Last edited:
Isn't the math- length x beam divided by 15 for boats that are over 16' this not having capacity listed or something close to that

That would give a ridiculous number for my boat. I put down the number of berths, too.

I have seen some authorities use the formula of 0.75 x Lenght x the square route of the beam as the safe capacity. That's what they use here in Queenland for boats over 6 meters and assume that is waterline Lenght and is for boats without flybridge's so it will be considerably more than your number of berths. We have a waterline Lenght of 46 feet and a beam of 14'4" with a flybridge and they give us a safe person capacity of 16,

Brett

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom