Very sad.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings,
Ms. WB. Can't think of any right off the top of my head but I believe there are some animals that do quite well on salt water alone. I don't think swine are one of them. I've never been ashore at that location so I don't know what potential source of fresh water there might be nor if a well of some sort could be drilled. It would be quite a task to carry water out there on a regular basis and I don't think the amount of beer they might drink would be enough to sustain them. Not the best source of fluids in any case (beer). Yup, a waste of good pork IMO. Tourist draw aside.

"I need to come up with a stupid idea for a thread..." WHAT? Another one? Hahahaha... Sorry, you walked right into that one.

Wifey B: Well, still think you're a jerk so don't get carried away.

And now I feel like there can't be a one-state or two-state solution. We were so close there for just a millisecond. Hope is a powerful drug.

Name calling has no place on this forum. To each his own but let's be civil. Thanks,

Pontificate much?

giphy.gif

I am speechless. Is there an ignore button on this site?
As was I.
Yes,there is. A poster on this thread already uses it (#51). When he says "blocked to me"(passive)it almost certainly means he (active) put Bill on "Ignore".

Greetings,
Mr. BK. Seems I'm on his ignore list as well. Might be getting to be quite an exclusive group...Aside from "someone's" attitude, it's not a wise business move either.

Thanks for the PM's regarding the ignore button. I used it, and so far as I can tell, it is working perfectly. I enjoy being challenged by other viewpoints, but patently fallacious, utterly offensive analogies are a complete waste of time. No more drivel from that ____.

Greetings,
OK. Can we get back to the pig problem? Might seem not worth the effort but we visited that beach with a tourist group and it is indeed a great experience. I never would have thought that pigs could swim as well as they did BUT it sort of makes sense. Fat floats.

giphy.gif

Greetings,
OK. Can we get back to the pig problem? Might seem not worth the effort but we visited that beach with a tourist group and it is indeed a great experience. I never would have thought that pigs could swim as well as they did BUT it sort of makes sense. Fat floats.

giphy.gif

RT...my eyes aren't working so well from the near stroke after reading some of the posts...

Are those the pigs being discussed here or the water aerobic class at the pool every morning? :D

Thanks for the PM's regarding the ignore button. I used it, and so far as I can tell, it is working perfectly. I enjoy being challenged by other viewpoints, but patently fallacious, utterly offensive analogies are a complete waste of time. No more drivel from that ____.

Yup. The ignore button is a good thing to use. Glad to hear that it helped you cope with a stressful situation. :)

Greetings,
Mr. ps. I think they're the pigs under discussion. The GIF was not labelled but they are as I remember them...

Yup. The ignore button is a good thing to use. Glad to hear that it helped you cope with a stressful situation. :)

I told my wife. She is going to make me bacon for breakfast and maybe I will have a bacon cheeseburger for lunch. Being a hypocrite isn't all bad.

Well, after some due diligence I find that apparently the pigs are owned, not wild and not strays, and have been for 30 years.
This begs the question as to what happens to the excess population year to year.
Mr. Firefly, you may be on to something here, the owners need to be grilled about this.

One of the pig’s owners, Wayde Nixon, told The Nassau Guardian: “The pigs were given the wrong food.

“We had the government vet in there [who] examined them all thoroughly. He gave them shots, he gave them medicine, and I was there and I worked with them for three days straight.
“We had them pigs there almost 30 years, and never has this happened before, but now we are going to have to regulate it.

Greetings,
Mr. TOG. I don't think I'm on to anything. It was Mr. 11 who originally posted and passed on the information that the deaths most probably were from lack of fresh water. I'm just trying to find out what the circumstances are/were. As I said a few posts back, we've experienced the swimming pigs and thought it was quite interesting and a novel attraction. The fact that they would end up on a grill someplace was never an issue. Neglect and/or mistreatment now is.
The tour operator was a local and he did bring some bread and buns so we could feed the pigs and he cautioned us not to get too close because they could injure us. We did not see or suspect any abuse by any locals or tourists at that time.

We enjoyed visiting the pigs in 2015. Yes, many people rode the pigs while we were there. We have friends with farms and pigs. Those pigs get ridden too. Nothing sinister there.

If the problem is fresh water, that should be easy to fix. I believe the owner of Staniel Cay (the next island south) owns a water purification company that manufactures devices for use in the Bahamas. I'm sure a GoFundMe could provide one of those systems on a solar power grid.

It is not coincidence we are at the top of the food chain. Everything else is just Spam.

Wifey D: But, did he really? :rolleyes:

Who knows. I guess I'll just take his word for it for now.

I have to admit I'm scratching my head trying to think of just what I might have said to receive this honor.

All I can come up with is that I've dared to pointed out that he comes off as a bit of an ass from time to time.

But if that's the reason, then I guess I should go ahead and block myself. :rofl:

Greetings,
Mr. NB. They are not pets as far as I know and I expect they will eventually end up on someone's dinner table. I don't know if anyone is exactly sure why or how they got there. I've heard several stories as to their origin. Swimming pigs? I've seen them and it's still amazing. I guess pretty well any animal can swim but pigs are not usually associated with aquatics...

giphy.gif

I think they are semi-feral and in spite of their apparent "friendliness" I wouldn't want to get too near them.

Thank you Mr...they are really interesting and discovered a great way to indulge, you might also be their end, sad.

piggies are extremely intelligent and are tamed and learn tricks like dogs, give paw, roll over, jump etc.

The same sow has been on the island for quite a while now and her offspring seem to get rotated off the island as they reach, shall we say, market size.

Since I can't recall ever seeing a large boor on the island, I assume one is brought in as needed.

Based on all this I think it's pretty clear the pigs are on the island to get fattened up for their owner.

Now whether whether they were put there in the first place because it was a convenient uninhabited island and the feeding of them by boaters just sort of happened as a by product of the fact that the area off of the island is one of the most popular anchorages around. Or if the pigs owner did it by design thinking he could get his pigs fattened up almost for free by boaters, I don't know.

What I do know is control and the ultimate care of the pigs is in the owners hands.

So it's disingenuous to blame any continued abuse of the pigs on boaters.

Greetings,
Mr. NB. "...extremely intelligent and are tamed...". I agree but as has been mentioned, unfortunately, much to their demise, they also taste good as well.

Greetings,
Mr. NB. "...extremely intelligent and are tamed...". I agree but as has been mentioned, unfortunately, much to their demise, they also taste good as well.

:thumb: Mr RTF 100% of the same mind
here is a taste and a serving suggestion, yet you fancy a large glass of beer.

Cheers! = Kippis! same in Finnish:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom