Very Large Freighter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chrisjs

Guru
I thought many of you might be interested in the attached clip on the Maersk container ship "Emma". One way freight from China to Walmart!! Always returns empty!!

Do you think we should be concerned for the operator's economics regarding the dead head run back to China? I think I read that we sell more cars in China that the US ......perhaps that's for one manufacturer. But I'm sure they make enough money on the trip over to cover their costs. I have a friend that won't buy anything made in China. I personally believe in free trade and will buy the best thing I can find irregardless of where it's made. If a China man can make a better "wteedle" than the boys in Hickup Ohio he gets the business in my book.

Eric Henning

How true, but what I think is interesting is how the economy in China has risen to such a point where some US manufactures are bringing their product manufacturing back from China to the US and Canada now.*

Saw a recent*Bloomberg report*concerning a furniture manufacturer who discovered the Chinese, as consumers, value products made outside of Asia and particularly furniture made in the US?* So he reopened his plant in the US to export to China?* Same thing with auto makers Kia, Honda, Toyota, made here now.* A KIA ad that says, "KIA - Proud to be made in America"* Never thought I would see that.!!

And here I thought the 109,000 ton, 1033-foot Maersk Sophia was large, but is only*three-fourths the size of Emma.

Sofia in SF Bay:

232323232%7Ffp53837%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D34%3C4%3A3756%3A336nu0mrj

-- Edited by markpierce on Monday 23rd of January 2012 02:01:01 AM

Not sure what the link has to do with Walmart and returning empty to China but the ship in question operates between Asia and Europe via the Suez canal and never visits North America.

I doubt very much that it "returns empty' on any part of its voyages.

I suspect Bob is right on the money. The cost of operating a commercial ship--- any ship, not just the Emma Maersk--- is pretty staggering. There is no way any shipping company in its right mind would operate a ship like this with a totally empty return trip. They'd mothball the ship if the could not keep it earning every time it went out. Same as airlines park planes they cannot justify flying.

I suspect the "WalMart" thing is another urban legend in the making. The story is listed as a hoax on several websites.

Containers aren't the only objects carried on container ships.

Attachments

• container not.jpg
    container not.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 118
The picture with a recognizable port in the background shows West Vancouver. She ties at Vanterm Container terminal and gets partially unloaded and loaded there, doesn't look completely full coming in, and leaves with a comparable load. The picture is of her leaving Vancouver with a considerable load.

markpierce wrote:
Containers aren't the only objects carried on container ships.
*What is a boat but a container itself.

This week we are shipping 14 container to China. A Debarker and a whole log chipper. China is our biggest customer. Most larve comtaimer ship load/unload at several ports before heading back across. We have look several times at mfg our equipment in China and have decided against it. Their mfg quality does not meet ower specification.

Notice how the Maersk Sophia's transom is clear of the water. Even at full load she should still have her transom above the WL looking at her bottom paint line. A proper full disp hull to be sure and notice how little wake she leaves considering her size. How monstrous is this "Emma"?

Eric

EMMA MAERSK

Dimensions: length overall 397 m (1302.5 ft), beam 56 m (183.7 ft),*hull height 30 m (98.4 ft), draft 15.5 m (50.9 ft).

Tonnages:* gross 170,974, net*55,396, deadweight 156,907

Power:* 80,080 kW (109,000 hp) Wartsila 14RT-Flex96c plus 40,000 hp electrical service from five CAT 8M32

Speed:* more than 25.5 knots

Crew:* The ship has accommodations for 30 people, though the normal crew is only 13.

Attachments

• emma maersk1.jpg
    emma maersk1.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 235
Jay N wrote:
*Crew:* The ship has accommodations for 30 people, though the normal crew is only 13.

*Speaking of extra berths, Does anyone know if freighters still take private passenger bookings any longer?

Worked with a guy some years back who used them exclusively.* He and his wife*would book passage to*Oz, Japan, Hong Kong, S. Korea, etc.*on a freighter every summer and then they would fly home.* They liked the sea and they enjoyed the quiet time to themselves.**Usually accommodations were nice but not 4 star by any means,**They would catch up on their reading and the ships usually had a good video library.

Just haven't heard anybody talk about it lately??*

Larry B

Edelweiss wrote:
*Speaking of extra berths, Does anyone know if freighters still take private passenger bookings any longer?

Worked with a guy some years back who used them exclusively.* He and his wife*would book passage to*Oz, Japan, Hong Kong, S. Korea, etc.*on a freighter every summer and then they would fly home.* They liked the sea and they enjoyed the quiet time to themselves.**Usually accommodations were nice but not 4 star by any means,**They would catch up on their reading and the ships usually had a good video library.

Just haven't heard anybody talk about it lately??*

Larry B

*Yes, try this link for starters.

www.<strong style="color:#00802a;font-family:arial, sans-serif;line-height:15px;background-color:#fff8e7;font-size:small;">freightercruises[/b].com

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Sunday 22nd of January 2012 09:05:45 PM

nomadwilly wrote:
*How monstrous is this "Emma"?

*Here is a shot of the Emma Maersk alongside a "normal" sized container ship.* The second photo is the Emma Maersk's diesel engine.

Attachments

• emma engine.jpg
    emma engine.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 870
Moonstruck wrote:Edelweiss wrote:
*Speaking of extra berths, Does anyone know if freighters*take private passenger bookings any longer?

*Yes, try this link for starters.

www.<strong style="color:#00802a;font-family:arial, sans-serif;line-height:15px;background-color:#fff8e7;font-size:small;">freightercruises[/b].com

*Wow!!* That is very interesting reading.* 56 days for $5000, including food and accommodations.**That is really very reasonable.* I might have to look into that.* That would make an interesting retirement trip and I'm*not that far away from being there.

Thanks alot Don

Larry B

Edelweiss wrote:
*Wow!!* That is very interesting reading.* 56 days for $5000, including food and accommodations.**That is really very reasonable.*
*I've been on cruise ships for lots of voyages for about $50 per person, double-occupancy, per day and they have live entertainment as well as gourmet dining.

Attachments

• 8 course meals.jpg
    8 course meals.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 133
markpierce wrote:Edelweiss wrote:
*Wow!!* That is very interesting reading.* 56 days for $5000, including food and accommodations.**That is really very reasonable.*
*I've been on cruise ships for lots of voyages for about $50 per person, double-occupancy, per day and they have live entertainment as well as gourmet dining.

*Yeah, but you're on there with some 3,000 bozos.* The great thing about freigher travel is that you're on there eiher by yourself or with just a handful of other people.

In the late 70s I rode a then-new Matson roll-on roll-off ship from Oakland to Honolulu and Hilo to shoot some scenes for a Matson television commercial.* There were no paying guests on that that trip--- I don't even know if Matson did this at that time--- but I had my own stateroom, the food was great, and I had the run of the ship.* I only had a few shots to get for the commercial, so I spent a lot of time on the bridge, both during the day and at night.* Being out on the bridge wing in the middle of the ocean on a dark ship on a clear night is one of the most spectacular sights I've ever seen.

The other really neat place to ride was in the seat at the point of the bow behind a windshield where they stationed a crewman when the ship was entering or leaving port to keep a lookout for little boats that might not be visible from the bridge.* I spent a fair amount of time up there reading and just watching the ocean.* Too bad they hadn't invented the Kindle yet :)

When I was a kid and my mom was the assistant director of what today would be called the communications/public relations department of Honolulu's city and county government, she took me along on a by-invitation-only visit to the NS Savannah when that ship called at Honolulu on one of her first voyages.* The ship had several staterooms and carried a small number of passengers who, I seem to remember, paid a pretty penny for the privilege.

Attachments

• savannah.jpg
    savannah.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 135
markpierce wrote:Edelweiss wrote:

True, I've done that as well.*But there were also*thousands of*other passengers on board.

For me, the point of a vacation is to get away from the rush and pushing*crowds, standing in line*and to just relax.* *On*a freighter you're talking 4*-10 other passengers*and . . . . *space. . . .* I understand*other people may have a different perspective and*enjoy being hosted, catered*and travel*in tour groups.* But*that's really*not my cup of tea anymore.*

Take a look at this website and also the cruise pictures and passenger remarks.*

http://www.freightercruises.com/

*p.s* Here is another one and it leaves from Vancouver.* Can't beat that!!!

Hamburg-American Line North German Lloyd
<table style="width:100%;" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"><tbody><tr><td>This jointly operated service offers one of the best travel bargains we know of. Operating from Vancouver, BC to Hamburg and Bremen there are many ports of call enroute so that the full trip takes approximately 42 days at a cost of only $500 or $12 per day. At these rates you cannot afford to stay home.
***** Embarkation ports are Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, San Francisco and Los Angeles, and you may book passage to Antwerp, Amsterdam, Rotterdam or first German port. From California the fare is $460.00.
***** Both fares quoted are for accommodations in two berth cabins with private shower and toilet. Deck space is ample and public rooms include a smoking room and bar. Excellent German food is served. Sailings about every three weeks.

</td></tr></tbody></table>

-- Edited by Edelweiss on Sunday 22nd of January 2012 11:07:47 PM

Marin wrote:*... so I spent a lot of time on the bridge, both during the day and at night.* Being out on the bridge wing in the middle of the ocean on a dark ship on a clear night is one of the most spectacular sights I've ever seen.
*That's something one can't do on a cruise ship, although some have a window inboard to look at the bridge.* Still, they drop the shades when anything is critical going on, as in docking and leaving dock.

Marin wrote:
*Yeah, but you're on there with some 3,000 bozos.*
*I mostly "tune them out"* although I've met some interesting persons there.* I prefer "at sea days" and especially at dock where I*usually stay aboard (been there, done that) and let everyone else leave for the day.* Yeah, just me and the crow on a drizzly Anchorage*day.

Attachments

• 232323232fp537_7_nu=3363_33__57;_wsnrcg=34;2_2867;336nu0mrj.jpg
    232323232fp537_7_nu=3363_33__57;_wsnrcg=34;2_2867;336nu0mrj.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 67
Back
Top Bottom