Very dirty shore electric cables

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DonScatt

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Jackie Season
Vessel Make
Beneteau 50' Swift Trawler
Hi all -

Has anyone been successful in bringing dock electric cables back to a reasonably clean appearance? Ours are getting worse I feel by the day, but I haven’t found anything that cleans off the black marks. I imagine once they’re clean they’ll need some kind of protectant (should have thought of that first, I know), and suggestions for that will be gratefully received as well.

Thanks
Don

Did you try googling “shore power cable cleaner” or do an amazon search? I did and found several........

Might try mineral spirits or lacquer thinner on a cloth/rag. I would start with mineral spirits as it is less aggressive.

Yes, by replacing the cord (granted I had a hot spot developing in the cord). In between that I use stabright's shore power cable cleaner.

I would hesitate from using solvents on plastics as some will remove the plasticized and make it worse.
I used a scotch Brite pad with a cleaner and it seemed to help lot.
303 protectant after snd periodically is a great product for rubber and plastics

I would hesitate from using solvents on plastics as some will remove the plasticized and make it worse.
I used a scotch Brite pad with a cleaner and it seemed to help lot.
303 protectant after snd periodically is a great product for rubber and plastics

That is what solvents are supposed to do when used on the "plasicized" sheathing outer cover. Gently rubbing until the stain/scuff is removed removes a very thin layer. Much the same way sanding with a scotch brite does - removes a thin layer only not by mechanical power. Better living through chemistry!

I used the "Mr. Clean Miracle sponge" on mine. worked well, also on my water hose.

pete

I've never tried it... but after reading this thread, I'm wondering about trying my Collinte fiberglass cleaner on the cables. Maybe even some wax???

Acetone and lots of rags. Liberal application of 303 afterwards. While your at it, Clean the connectors at both ends and apply Dielectric grease.

People have used Gojo pumice hand clearer with fair success. Supposed to work on fenders as well.

Last edited:
I've never tried it... but after reading this thread, I'm wondering about trying my Collinte fiberglass cleaner on the cables. Maybe even some wax???

Yes use wax. I use regular turtle wax or Meguire's on cords and fenders.

I've used acetone on mine, but it degrades the sheath slightly. After the sheath is no longer tacky, I apply Armorall.

Throw it away and buy a new, factory-made SmartPlug cordset. Coils almost effortlessly. You will thank yourself and maybe me for having done so.

We used West Marine or Star Brite (forget which) power cord cleaner, and a boatload of elbow grease, with reasonable outcome.

There's a product called "Marine Strip" which is advertised for cleaning stuff like this. I used it on our old, grubby white fenders and it did a reasonable job, but the fenders lost some of their "slippery" after that (and we covered them with Sunbrella afterwards anyway). Didn't try it on the power cord, which I had already cleaned... but which never had much "slippery" to it in our lifetime.

-Chris

We use "Marine Strip" now renamed to "Boat Cleaner Pro". This was the only product that could clean our power cord. We do put a wax protectant on afterwards. We tried acetone but could only make one swipe and then needed to reapply. Marine Strip is much more effective for us.

Marinco makes a cord cover that is very pretty. has velcro strips to attach to stanchions, can hold 2 cables if you have a dual setup. a problem is that it only looks good for a couple of years then fades or tears. and it costs 60.00 and a 30 amp new marinco cable costs 75.00
I replaced my white fenders with black ones years ago. Why isnt there a dark colored marine cable so we dont have to worry about cleaning it?

Acetone and lots of rags. Liberal application of 303 afterwards. While your at it, Clean the connectors at both ends and apply Dielectric grease.

totally agree with this
Acetone
and you have to be quick because of evaporation
you can also water down acetone to clean other vinyall products
but remember its really melting the rubber or plastic
works great on bumpers

Try Westleys Bleach White. Be sure to wear a mask. Available at auto parts stores.

You are posing a good question, in terms of how cruddy my shorepower cable gets. The last time I did it, I used Dawn dish detergent, a Scotch brite abrasive sponge and scrubbed hard. I got the worst of it off but it wasn't perfect. I'm following the other suggestions for a better solution.

Acetone and lots of paper towel. One large paper towel folded into 4 gives 4 individual clean surfaces. Apply liberal acetone every time you go to a clean side. There will be plenty dirt, each side will only do about 6-12".

Dirty power cords

Just cover them with cord covers.
The All American Power Cord Cover is made in USA and matches the canvas on your boat. Or you can just get black.
Here's the link:https://www.allamericanpowercordcover.com/order-online
Full disclosure,it's my company.
We use only the best Sunbrella and have been making boaters happy and safe for years.
If I have stepped on toes or this is not allowed please just say so, nothing nefarious intended.

The man who owns Glendinning came on this forum a few years ago and politely told us all that the BEST way to clean the power cables, which his company happens to make, is using SoftScrub and a sponge or a ScotchBrite pad, if needed.

He also politely told us all that most of the methods posted in this forum were destined to do more damage than good. He was particularly concerned about acetone.

Owning a Glendinning reel, I took his advice. Worked perfectly and for a fraction of the price of special “cord cleaners”.

Cleaning the Marinco cables on my new boat are on my to-do list. Just as soon as I buy some SoftScrub, oh, and the temperature drops below a million degrees.

I just took some inflatable boat cleaner and a green scotch brite to my 20 year old cord. Made a big improvement but it still looks like a 20 year old cord, but clean.

It recommending but possibly funny

I was told to use toluene on the cords when I was a deckhand on yachts. It worked great, but I’m not sure if it damaged the cords or not.

Of course, we had ZERO personal protective equipment, so about half of it absorbed through my skin and was inhaled into my lungs. Please use PPE if you use toluene.

Edit - subject should say NOT recommending but possibly funny.

I was told to use toluene on the cords when I was a deckhand on yachts. It worked great, but I’m not sure if it damaged the cords or not.

Of course, we had ZERO personal protective equipment, so about half of it absorbed through my skin and was inhaled into my lungs. Please use PPE if you use toluene.

Edit - subject should say NOT recommending but possibly funny.
Indeed, as Jeff says, Toluene is definitely dangerous stuff to use. From the web...

Safety Hazards Associated with Toluene
Toluene is a highly flammable liquid and it can cause mild damage to the skin and the eyes. However, the most-common hazard associated with this chemical is inhalation. Products containing toluene can produce dangerous fumes which can cause nausea, headaches, unconsciousness, and even death if inhaled. You can be exposed to toluene when using products that contain it – for instance, when pumping gasoline or painting a room. Prolonged or repeated exposure to toluene vapors can cause severe damage to the central nervous system. Taking the necessary precautions when handling toluene or toluene products is essential.

The man who owns Glendinning came on this forum a few years ago and politely told us all that the BEST way to clean the power cables, which his company happens to make, is using SoftScrub and a sponge or a ScotchBrite pad, if needed.

He also politely told us all that most of the methods posted in this forum were destined to do more damage than good. He was particularly concerned about acetone.

Owning a Glendinning reel, I took his advice. Worked perfectly and for a fraction of the price of special “cord cleaners”.

And it helps the reel work if the cables aren't slick-smooth in the first place; I'd guess both SoftScrub and the ScothBrite pad would enhance the reel's ability to work.

-Chris

Dielectric grease

Dielectric grease is an insulator and not appropriate for metal-to-metal connections.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom