Very dirty shore electric cables

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm sure Softscrub would work. I've been cleaning my cords regularly with acetone for 5+ years and they look and feel the same.

ive used Gojo hand cleaner and a scotchbrite pad with good success. good deal of elbow grease thrown in Brings them back to almost new. Id be real hesitant to use solvent with lots of 'go-fast', toluene, acetone and the like. you don;t want to wash out the plastisizer. (sp.)

Lots of good suggestions here but I agree with the respondents who suggested acetone. I've been doing it that way for 15 years and I think it's the best solution. It's aggressive but efficient and while it may degrade the rubber/plastic in the cord, if you only do it once every 2 years or so then it's a non-issue. One more thing, I would recommend not using paper towel as one person suggested. The PT will shred pretty quick leaving quite the mess on your boat/dock. Use a robust terry cloth and keep turning it over as it gets soiled. You may need more than one cloth. Thus is guaranteed to make your shore power cord look like new.

Huh... No one has mentioned Spray Nine??? and a broken-in green scotch-brite pad.

I have had great success cleaning with acetone, as recommended by the manufacturer, and a Magic Eraser. Despite the common perception that this will damage the cord cover, this has worked for years with the only effect being a clean power cord. I am still trying to find someone who has actually seen a power cord damaged by acetone.

https://marincofaq.wordpress.com/201...repower-cords/

Back
Top Bottom