City: Everett WA.
Vessel Name: Triton
Vessel Model: 48' Golden Egg Harbor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Rebecca is quite to very anti-oil.
Some of it is warranted .. some not.

I view it this way;
She’s an expert on varnish but on oil .. not so much.

My take on oil after mixing my own (mostly linseed oil and turp) is that it protects the teak well and your butt won’t pick up any sticky stuff if you sit on your oiled cap rail unless you just oiled it.
Recoat times vary widely w weather but generally is about once a month. I used a brush. One can prolly reduce that using a rag per things I’ve heard/read.
Agree, she is very anti oil unless you really like the look, and are willing to stay on top of it.

I started out using Interlux Compass clear. Then changed out to Interlux Perfection Plus after the sales man convinced me its a better product for what I am using it on (high traffic, in the weather). Now I am playing with AWLGRIP AWLWOOD. The AWLWOOD is a little more difficult to apply for me. I have used a good brush, and I have used a roller/foam and back brushed. I always end up with a little dust no matter how well I clean up prior. With the other two I can cut and buff out any imperfections. The AWLWOOD does not cut and buff very well. I can never get the same high gloss as when its first applied. I have sanded it down to 3000 and worked it over well with a buffer, still not the same shine.
I am going to try spraying it next week on a teak table I have been working on for over a year now. I will report back. I fear its not going to go well, as I have never sprayed any type of Varnish. I will say the stuff I have on (ALWOOD) is very strong, does not scratch very easy. And from the dried product in the tins its very flexible.

The only reason I changed to trying AWLWOOD was that I could not get any Perfection Plus. I put my order in around the first of June. Just got the case I ordered 3 days ago. (5 Month wait) I have enough Perfection Plus to finish my tow rail next spring now. So everything exterior will be coated with the same product. The Perfection Plus seams to be holding up well. We have a dog that likes to jump off the cap rail to the dock. There are some small scratches in it from her. The fastback is not finished yet, so everything is in the weather this winter. It will be a good test.
But its holding up better than the Compass Clear did.
RonR is offline   Reply With Quote