Old 04-06-2017, 06:19 PM   #1

City: seattle
Vancouver BC customs (Coal Harbour)

Long time forum lurker, first time poster. I am planning a trip this summer for the first time to Vancouver BC from Seattle and looking for some details on clearing customs in Coal Harbour, where I will be staying. Normally going north, I will stop in Bedwell, but thought I would go direct to Vancouver on this trip. I do not have NEXUS or any other traveler programs, due to guests on board regularly changing.

I see that Coal Harbour is a designated Telephone Reporting Site. The Canadian Customs (CBSA) website puts a pin on the map right in the center of the marina. I have also read elsewhere online that the reporting site is located at Harbour Green Dock, just around the corner.

Is there a designated Customs dock with a call box at either Coal Harbour Marina/Harbour Green Dock like there is in Victoria or Bedwell? If not, am I able to report by cell phone even though I do not hold Nexus status?

Your expertise, like always, is greatly appreciated.

Jack
captainjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:00 PM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:49 PM   #3
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Welcome.

I don't know anything about Coal Harbor. I don't think that there is anyway you can avoid stopping at the customs dock without a Nexus or its like.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

City: Manotick, Ontario
Vessel Name: The Emerald
Vessel Model: Silverton 31C
Check this out... Travellers - Reporting requirements for private boaters
windled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:10 PM   #5
Guru

City: Vermont
We checked in at coal harbor in January, and still here for a bit longer. We called in as we were approaching the lions gate bridge. They asked our etc and told use to swing by the public dock between coal harbor marina and the float plane dock, and to stop if anyone was there. We did as instructed and nobody was there, so checkin complete.

We have NEXUS, so don't know what impact that had.

The designated checkin spots are that dock I described, and the yacht club on the other side of the marina somewhere, but NOT the marina itself.

Not sure it that helps. I would just call on approach with all you info, and see what they ask you to do.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:45 PM   #6

City: seattle
Thanks for your replies and info. Twistedtree, that public dock you described is the one I had in mind, which I believe is called Harbor green public dock. That is the telephone reporting site listed on the websites, only when you map it on their site, it pins it at the marina itself. Just wanted to make sure I am covering my bases and doing the right thing.
captainjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:21 AM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainjack View Post
Thanks for your replies and info. Twistedtree, that public dock you described is the one I had in mind, which I believe is called Harbor green public dock. That is the telephone reporting site listed on the websites, only when you map it on their site, it pins it at the marina itself. Just wanted to make sure I am covering my bases and doing the right thing.
Yes, I think that's the dock. We didn't get close enough to see if there was a phone, and I wasn't looking for a phone anyway, so double reason to know have noticed. But even if there isn't a phone, you can just call them by cell.

A couple of years ago I checked in at False Creek. There was total confusion over where I needed to call from and whether there was or was not a special phone. I ended up calling on my cell phone. All was fine in the end.
Old 04-08-2017, 02:21 PM   #8
Guru

I walked by the Harbour Green dock today. There is no dedicated customer phone like at some check in points, so phone from your cell phone.

BTW, I would recommend AGAINST Coal Harbour Marina as a place to stay. It's pretty run down, costs about 3x the norm for the Pacific Norhwest, and has no internet. It does place you right at the foot of the city, but so does False Creek. And there is the RVYC right next door where you could probably get dockage if you are a yacht club member somewhere. Coal Harbour Harbour Marina does have a shared guest account on Shaw's public wifi, which is kind of like having a communal condom, but I have yet to be able to get it to work. It's really kind of a joke for an urban marina, and an expensive one at that. I definitely won't be coming back, and can't recommend it.
Old 04-08-2017, 02:47 PM   #9
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Peter, for whatever reason the marina based internets in BC have been lackluster for a long time. At our BC Marina we have a cable hookup through the phone company. TV and Internet no problem. When at Coal Harbour we rely upon our cellular plan to keep us in contact. Or go to one of several nearby Starbucks.

If you are planning on being there for awhile, the phone company likely offers a cable hookup - you may want to consider that option.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 05:31 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Peter, for whatever reason the marina based internets in BC have been lackluster for a long time. At our BC Marina we have a cable hookup through the phone company. TV and Internet no problem. When at Coal Harbour we rely upon our cellular plan to keep us in contact. Or go to one of several nearby Starbucks.

If you are planning on being there for awhile, the phone company likely offers a cable hookup - you may want to consider that option.
Thanks. I'm at the tail end of a 3 month stay, and set up a telus cellular account for the stay.

If this place was in a remote location, or was really small, or was inexpensive, I would understand. But given the location and cost of the place, it would be nice if my money actually got me something. And now I need to find out why I got charged for 32 hrs of labor to wash my boat.

I'm not a happy camper at the moment.