Valve on waste tank discharge, good or bad idea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lou_tribal

Guru
Vessel Name
Bleuvet
Vessel Make
Custom Built
Last year I removed the waste tank to get my hull issue repaired. It was messy and not a enjoyable job.
Before putting the tank back I plan to take opportunity to change all hoses, vent, toile discharge, and tank discharge.
I was thinking to add a valve on the tank discharge side, right after the tank, to to be able to close it in the event I would need to remove the tank again (hopefully not) or if need to replace the discharge hose.
Any input on that? Good or bad idea? Any potential issue?

L

Whether or not the valve is a good idea or not, I will leave to someone like Peggie. But as to the hose check out Defender and get the Saniflex hose. It is really easy to work with and is not supposed to permeate.

Lou, my $.02. I think a valve there would just add complexity and introduce a potential clog point. Peggie will give you her advise I'm sure.

+1 on Saniflex hose, which I just used in my head re-do. Defender has the best prices that I found.

Last edited:
Lou, is this the pump out hose or the thru hull hose? Valves and sewage don’t get along so there is a good chance it won’t work when you need it. Otherwise I don’t see an issue with adding it.

Lou, is this the pump out hose or the thru hull hose? Valves and sewage don’t get along so there is a good chance it won’t work when you need it. Otherwise I don’t see an issue with adding it.
I meant pump out hose, this is the only I have as here overboard discharge is prohibited.

L

I was thinking to add a valve on the tank discharge side, right after the tank, to to be able to close it in the event I would need to remove the tank again (hopefully not) or if need to replace the discharge hose.

A simple PVC shutoff valve that doubles as the tank discharge hose fitting wouldn't be a bad idea. Better yet, if you have at least 5" clearance above the tank: install a new pumpout fitting on the top of the tank with a pickup tube inside the tank--very easy to do while the tank is out using a Uniseal UNISEAL and a little sched 80 PVC pipe. Seal up the existing discharge fitting with a threaded plug wrapped in plenty of teflon tape.

This would also be a great time upgrade the tank vent to 1".

Both are inexpensive and easy to do and I'll be glad to walk you through the details if you want to do this.

And btw...Raritan SaniFlex hose is by far your best choice...and Defender has it for the best price Raritan Sani/Flex Sanitation Hose at Defender But it sounds like you've already replaced the hoses.

-Peggie

Last edited:

A simple PVC shutoff valve that doubles as the tank discharge hose fitting wouldn't be a bad idea. Better yet, if you have at least 5" clearance above the tank: install a new pumpout fitting on the top of the tank with a pickup tube inside the tank--very easy to do while the tank is out using a Uniseal UNISEAL and a little sched 80 PVC pipe. Seal up the existing discharge fitting with a threaded plug wrapped in plenty of teflon tape.

This would also be a great time upgrade the tank vent to 1".

Both are inexpensive and easy to do and I'll be glad to walk you through the details if you want to do this.

And btw...Raritan SaniFlex hose is by far your best choice...and Defender has it for the best price Raritan Sani/Flex Sanitation Hose at Defender But it sounds like you've already replaced the hoses.

-Peggie

Thank you Peggie :)

My tank is stainless so changing the fittings already there would mean soldering new fitting not sure I want to get there.
I am already so happy to have rinse the tank and have its interior clean, I must have got some extra gallons lol :)

Is it better to fit a PVC valve or a brass/stainless/bronze or anything else coming from space valve?

L

Before you put the tank back if it is S/S then maybe look at a plastic tank from Ronko. The metal tank won’t last as long as plastic. And I wouldn’t want the black tank leaking.

You beat me to it, Dave. I strongly recommend that you replace the tank and because it's already out of the boat, there'll never be a better time to do it. Why should you replace? Because urine is so corrosive that any metal tank--even 316 stainless--has an average lifespan of about 10 years. If your tank is older than 10 years, it's been living on borrowed time. Typically the first leak will be a weld at a seam or a fitting...and the first leak is only the FIRST leak...the bottom of the tank is gradually turning into a colander. Aluminum was the original holding tank material of choice, but its short lifespan led high end builders to go with steel. By the early '90s LDPE had become the recommended holding tank material and by the mid-'90s 99% of OEM tanks were plastic.

Ronco Plastics Ronco Plastics marine Tanks is your best source. They make TOP quality thick-walled water and waste tanks for a very reasonable price and have more than 400 shapes and sizes, over 100 of which are non-rectangular, and they install fittings in the sizes and locations specified by the customer when they make the tank. And btw, they sell direct and are great to work with.

--Peggie

Back
Top Bottom