Old 02-28-2017, 11:11 PM   #21

City: Kenmore
Vessel Name: Snapdragon
Vessel Model: Custom 56' Skookum trawler
We have a Home Depot bucket head down in the engine room for sucking up bilge water etc. For the main cabin we use a Milwaukee 9v fuel dust buster type vacuum with the extra large battery. It is super handy and fast, although probably wouldn't be the best for getting pet hair out of shag carpet (we have neither). We liked it so much we bought one for our house, that we keep in the kitchen.
For big projects I bring the Fein Turbo 2 shop vac from home, but I don't keep it on the boat.
Snapdragon III is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:34 PM   #22
Guru

City: Sydney
This discussion sucks
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:32 AM   #23
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Shop-vac for the boat chores, a Dyson Animal for the carpets loaded with pet hairs and yes it does suck them up!
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:49 AM   #24
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montenido View Post
I have used one of these Hoover cordless vacs at home for several years and love it. I recently brought one to the boat and I am very happy with it. Can buy them for less than $80 at Costco, Walmart, etc.

Cheers, Bill
We have one of these too, plus a second battery back. Works really well for the floors and stairs.

And I have a bucket-head exclusively for wet messy stuff, plus a mini shop vac for my construction messes.

Separate vacuum cleaners makes for a happy marriage.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:18 AM   #25

City: Texas
Vessel Model: 37' C&L Double Cabin
Do boats ever use a central vacuum like some motorhomes? And is there any reason to have a "house" vacuum if you don't have carpet ?
Nopistn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 04:49 AM   #26
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nopistn View Post
Do boats ever use a central vacuum like some motorhomes? And is there any reason to have a "house" vacuum if you don't have carpet ?
I have a central vacuum in the boat, was made for RV and boats, Was given to me as freebie.
It works well, except this. The hose is too long and wants to tangle up.
What I did was shorten the hose almost in half. And I plan to install another inlet in the forward cabin.
I found a vacuum hose of 14 feet or less is manageable. Before I shortened the hose, I never used the central vac as it was a painful bulky thing.
With enough vacuum inlets, and a shorter hose, I will actually want to use the central vac.

Then the thing is what do you do with the hose? I stuff it behind the sofa.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 04:50 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
I have a central vacuum in the boat, was made for RV and boats, Was given to me as freebie.
It works well, except this. The hose is too long and wants to tangle up.
What I did was shorten the hose almost in half. And I plan to install another inlet in the forward cabin.
I found a vacuum hose of 12 feet or less is manageable. Before I shortened the hose, I never used the central vac as it was a painful bulky thing.

Then the thing is what do you do with the hose? I stuff it behind the sofa.
Can you vacuum the bilge with it?
Old 03-01-2017, 05:13 AM   #28
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Quote:
Can you vacuum the bilge with it?
No, it is only for dry stuff. If I clean a wet bilge, I use a wet vac.

My central boat vac uses a bag and is rectangular shape with a front panel door.
At my prior marina, a lady gave to me since she had no use for it, her new boat had a built in vacuum. Otherwise I would not have bought such a thing.

Here it is. Has a good suction. A standard paper bag will work on this, you do not need to buy their bags.
Walvac Stow-A-Vac 545 | CentralVacuumDirect.com

I moved the inlet valve to a remote location from the vac, drilled hole in top and run hose straight up and over. I plan to add a second inlet.
And it is mounted behind a door panel low down and does not vent into the cabin, it vents behind the panel which is a 12 foot long space under the side deck, that way it is quieter and does not heat up the boat.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:03 AM   #29
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Yes, we have one on larger boat. However, in many ways, the backpack unit is still quicker and less trouble. With central vacuum you still have to move the hose from room to room. With a backpack, which apparently no one else here uses, you can go from space to space up to 50' without any break, including steps. Reduces vacuuming time by about 60%.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:23 AM   #30
Veteran Member

City: Rhode River, MD
Vessel Name: WayWeGo
Vessel Model: Trojan F36
+1 on the Dyson, we have a V6 with carpet attachment. We thought about a corded Shark, but decided that we wanted a vacuum that could be used on the water without firing up the genny. Plenty of battery to take care of our whole boat including the cockpit and flybridge if you are efficient.

There really isn't room for a wet/dry on the boat, but I usually have one of the Home Depot vacuums in the truck if needed.

For those of you who have the HD Bucket Head, how do you like them? They seem to have some big limitations in my mind. The hose is short and the filter is just a bag. Also, they are not that powerful though the hose is small, so I wonder if they have enough suction.
Waywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:32 PM   #31
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waywego View Post

For those of you who have the HD Bucket Head, how do you like them? They seem to have some big limitations in my mind. The hose is short and the filter is just a bag. Also, they are not that powerful though the hose is small, so I wonder if they have enough suction.
I would call it good enough. Also works as a dinghy inflator. Switch the hose to the blowhole and it fills inflatables in seconds.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:45 PM   #32
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
My complaint with the Bucket Head is that it is top heavy and tends to tip. Putting a couple of rocks in the bucket helps. (That's rock-it science BTW.) You can buy longer hoses if you need it and I think it's powerful enough for all the jobs I do.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 02:35 PM   #33

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Conundrum
Vessel Model: Nordlund 63' Pilothouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcountry View Post
This!

Although, we have the v6.

+2. The handheld dyson and a small 2-2.5 gal craftsman wet/dry shop vac.
tozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 02:48 PM   #34
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
This is going to sound strange. In a pinch, we picked up an $18 "Bissell 3-in-1 stick vac" at Wal Mart, figuring it would last until we got the boat home, where we'd buy a "real" vacuum.

We ended up liking it so much we bought a 2nd one for the house. It's 120VAC, but runs easily on the inverter. It has a removable handle, which converts it into a hand-held. It comes with a generous amount of wire, which stows easily on the handle.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:28 PM   #35
Guru

City: New England and Canada to Florida
Vessel Name: Tadhana
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38 Pilothouse
Roomba. We have a dog. We have hand held and a wet dry in the machinery space. We have a dyson handheld and two roombas for the living spaces. Full time liveaboard 8 years and full time cruisers 3 years.
tadhana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:38 PM   #36
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
2 Bucket heads.

Older becomes the wet, newer is the dry.

Older wet stores in the bilge.

Newer is kept in drier spaces and has a 20 foot pool vacuum hose as they are way cheaper and less likely to kink or twist up.

I can reach all areas of the boat with the 20 foot hose, keeping the bucket head outside so all dust is removed and not returned to the I terior.

The bucket heads fit a variety of bucket sizes from 3 gal to 6 gal....and usually and endless supply floating around or tossed in a marina dumpster.

Can't be beat for price and suction power...beat the inexpensive rug beating types hands down...even with a golden retriever on a small 40 footer.

As the wet one dies, cycle to a new one. So far 4 years and they haven't needed cycling from dry to wet .
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:13 PM   #37

I was using a 1.5hp wet vac with the 1 1/4" hose (same power and hose dia as the bucket head) and found it would suck bilge water and small debris up, but didn't have the power i was looking for and the hose clogged easily. Part of that is probably because I got an old/dirty boat that I'm trying to clean up. I suspect people with newer/better cared for boats wouldn't have that problem.
I'm looking at one of the ridgid small (5gal or less) vacs with a 5hp motor and a 1 7/8 hose.
I also have a ryobi 18v dust buster type that just doesn't have the capacity for sawdust and my general situation.
If there was a bucket head with a larger hose and more powerful motor that would be perfect.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:19 PM   #38
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryD View Post
Bucket wet/dry for the engine room and a Dyson for the rest of the boat. My wife shopped a lot before she settled on the Dyson and she is very happy with it.
Exactly my setup as well.
Ken E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:49 PM   #39
Veteran Member

City: Rhode River, MD
Vessel Name: WayWeGo
Vessel Model: Trojan F36
Quote:
I'm looking at one of the ridgid small (5gal or less) vacs with a 5hp motor and a 1 7/8 hose.
I have one of those and also a 3 gallon 3.5HP one. Both are fine for use on the boat and in the garage. The 5HP one comes with a 20' power cord which is really nice.
Waywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:16 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
We do not have any carpeting so we use a Hoover CP30000 commercial canister vacuum. We love it. We also have one at home to do the hard surfaces. It has about a 25 or 30' power cord so I can do the whole boat without moving to another outlet.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote