View Poll Results: How much vacation time off do you get per year?
Vacation? What's that? Seriously, I struggle to get any so boating is only weekends. 4 2.94%
1 or 2 weeks a year. Standard US vacation time. 8 5.88%
3 or 4 weeks a year. Better than 1 or 2 but not great. 21 15.44%
5 or 6 weeks a year. Still working but now getting decent time off. 26 19.12%
7 to 10 weeks a year. I've reached the point of substantial time to play. 6 4.41%
11 to 17 weeks a year. Oh boy. Now this is getting good. I'll share my secret...maybe. 2 1.47%
18 to 34 weeks a year. Half work, half play. Those with 4 on and 4 off would fit here too. 4 2.94%
35 to 48 weeks a year. I'm mostly retired. Work less than 4 months a year. 7 5.15%
I'm retired but still do some work. Just very flexible and control my schedule. 12 8.82%
I'm fully retired. No work. Outgrew that. Play, play, play. 46 33.82%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-12-2018, 10:10 AM   #41
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
Got our first cruiser (C-Dory 22) 7 years before retirement, when I had 5 weeks of vacation annually, plus more I had accumulated. We started with 1-2 week cruises, and before retirement worked our way up to two months in SE Alaska. Being well hooked on cruising at that point, we switched to a 26-foot diesel cruiser, with considerably more creature comfort. Have been retired now for 20 years, making possible 2-5 month summer cruises on the Inside Passage. After 18 years on the 26, moved to our Nordic Tug. It lives 900 miles away in Poulsbo WA - I'm still working on how to manage a boat that's not right here in Utah on its trailer
"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:10 AM   #42
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
I am 66 and fully retired. I closed my business two years ago and have no plans to go back. I live on an island 10 minutes from the power boat. It takes an extra 5 minutes to row out to the mooring the sailboat is on. Here in Maine I have boats in the water from mid-May to late October. Personally I would like to move back to Washington state where I could boat all year and cruise the BC coast, but my wife is not willing to move. She is shoveling snow off the deck right now.
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:26 AM   #43
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Basically fully retired now but still instruct a few Project Mgmt Courses for previous employer every year.
When employed FT my employer had an interesting & attractive vacation policy.
Every fifth year anniversary employees received 2 extra weeks vac (just for that year) in addition to their normal (increasing periodically) vac time.
This allowed us to plan month long cruises and still keep several weeks Vac for other "normal" activities.
At one point we took 5 wks and did an Alaska ferry + land van camping trip form the NE & return.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:43 AM   #44

City: Panama City
Vessel Name: Irish Miss
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot Rum Runner Classic
I'm in my mid-50s and starting to see retirement appear on the horizon. I could probably retire now and live fairly comfortably but that would have a drastic impact on my boating and travelling lifestyle. But then again, so does working full time which only allows me to get away a few weeks each year. Quite the dilemma.. .
MrJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:48 AM   #45
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
An interesting question. We have another thread on Millennials. We've talked about time and money being essential to boating. Well, Millennials in the US typically only have two weeks vacation a year. In other countries they have far more. I feel two weeks isn't adequate and that more is merited.

One other problem is starting over with new employers so you build up at one employer but lose it when you change jobs.

Some vacation numbers.

24% of private industry workers in the US receive no paid vacation.

Average number of days based on years service with employer:

1-5 years 10 days
5-10 years 14 days
10-20 years 17 days
20+years 19 days.

Would love to hear from other countries plus what you all think is reasonable.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 12:18 PM   #46
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
That's a vacation policy I find absurd that one builds up over 25 years of work, then changes companies and they don't grandfather any of it. Now, I've known persons to make it a requirement of the job change and it was honored.
During those negotiations I gave in on the vaca time and they gave in on salary, so it worked out.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 12:30 PM   #47
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
I'm 72 and married to a cute gal 9 years younger than I am. We both retired 8 years ago and have enjoyed it. We're 12 minutes from the boat so it's easy to go out for a day or weekend or whatever. We also have a 13' Whaler in the garage and there are days when we just take it out and play for a few hours.

A friend of ours recently talked me into what I think it going to be a fun job--driving a school bus as a part timer. I can work if I want, don't have to if I feel like staying home and so far I'm enjoying it. I love working with and being around kids so this job is a natural for me.

As far as vacation time? I just took a month off to go to AZ and will be taking 5 weeks off after the first of the year. They don't care, they just work me into their schedule whenever I want to work.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:12 PM   #48
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
An interesting question. We have another thread on Millennials. We've talked about time and money being essential to boating. Well, Millennials in the US typically only have two weeks vacation a year. In other countries they have far more. I feel two weeks isn't adequate and that more is merited.

One other problem is starting over with new employers so you build up at one employer but lose it when you change jobs.

Some vacation numbers.

1-5 years 10 days
5-10 years 14 days
10-20 years 17 days
20+years 19 days.

4 weeks a year is standard in Australia.(we also get paid sick days , compassionate leave and free healthcare)
When we were working we used to get our 4 week compulsory holiday and take unpaid leave as well so as to get 8 to 12 weeks to travel.
Hated the idea of see a country in a couple of days like so many seem to do and preferred to pick a spot, rent an apartment and actually live there scouting out future retirement destinations.
Seemed pointless to go somewhere and not be able to immerse yourself into and see all or at least a lot that is on offer.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 02:29 PM   #49
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
4 weeks a year is standard in Australia.(we also get paid sick days , compassionate leave and free healthcare)

Don’t forget long service leave. (an additional 9 weeks off after 10 years of service)
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 03:43 PM   #50

City: St James City/Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: Charlie Noble
Vessel Model: 32 Nordic Tug
I will have 7 weeks saved up when it comes time to bring the new to us boat down to Florida from Connecticut. My wife is not so lucky so she may only be able to do part of the trip.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:05 PM   #51
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
We get maternity/paternity leave as well.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:18 PM   #52
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
Don’t forget long service leave. (an additional 9 weeks off after 10 years of service)
Yes, good point. Back in the day you had to complete the 10 years before taking any of it. And with many companies it was 13 weeks after 15 years. But then flexibility increased. You earned it at the rates above, but it was earned pro-rata at those rates and available to take anytime you wanted.

In 1990 we took 6 weeks, flew to Banff and then ski-bummed at a whole bunch of resorts going south, finishing in New Mexico. Great trip, returned to work full of enthusiasm. One thing I still remember: one time we pulled into a gas station and I put 12 gallons into the tank. Because it was such a huge purchase (just over $10) we qualified for a bonus, a free large bottle of Pepsi!
Old 12-12-2018, 06:44 PM   #53
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post

A friend of ours recently talked me into what I think it going to be a fun job--driving a school bus as a part timer.
Wifey B: Fun Job?

I hope you're right. I've just heard too many school bus stories.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:02 PM   #54
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:

Some vacation numbers.

1-5 years 10 days
5-10 years 14 days
10-20 years 17 days
20+years 19 days.

First, I think any employee should be able to take off 4 weeks per year of unpaid vacation. Beyond that it should be negotiable. I've always been of the opinion that everything you get including your salary is part of a compensation package. Let's say you have a job that pays $208,000 per year. Every week of vacation costs the employee $4,000. So, 4 weeks of vacation would be $16,000 of his salary. In reality it would be far less than $16K as a good part of it would have been paid in federal and state (maybe) income taxes. Dose the employee want health insurance? We have a real nice group healthcare plan that you can buy with pretax dollars for $10,000. So, we'll take $26,000 off your salary for healthcare and vacation time. Before you say I'm a cold cruel employer, has is it any different than offering the job for $182,000 and it comes with free healthcare and 4 weeks of paid vacation?

Frankly, the whole notion of paid sick leave, personal days, maternity leave, paid vacation, and any other excuse for being paid and not showing up for work is absurd. If you follow the simple notion that if an employee is not there, the boss has to pay someone else to do that job. An astute employer has to calculate that cost and factor it in when determining what the employee can be paid. IMO, it seems far more reasonable to tell an employee what time off costs, and let them take what they want. Have a friend who use to work for Dupont at the research facility. The Job came with 2 weeks of vacation. The employee could purchase 2 more weeks each year, simple and straight forward. Maybe I'm over estimating the intelligence of the average employee, but when the company says, "you've been with us 10 years, we're going to give you an extra 2 weeks of vacation this year". Maybe the employer should say it will cost us $8,000 to cover your position for the 2 weeks, would you prefer the money instead?

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:18 PM   #55
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
I my pay was 208k$ I would take 6 month vacation per year lol

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:49 PM   #56
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. OC. In my former life it was VERY rare that my fellow employees worked overtime. Straight salary. There were a couple of times when one could work OT on a strictly voluntary basis. When it came to compensation we were offered $$ or extra vacation based on our hourly wage. Most AFAIK took the vacation time because that was not taxed by government. So you were actually getting X% more depending on your tax bracket.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:55 PM   #57
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
First, I think any employee should be able to take off 4 weeks per year of unpaid vacation. Beyond that it should be negotiable. I've always been of the opinion that everything you get including your salary is part of a compensation package. Let's say you have a job that pays $208,000 per year. Every week of vacation costs the employee $4,000. So, 4 weeks of vacation would be $16,000 of his salary. In reality it would be far less than $16K as a good part of it would have been paid in federal and state (maybe) income taxes. Dose the employee want health insurance? We have a real nice group healthcare plan that you can buy with pretax dollars for $10,000. So, we'll take $26,000 off your salary for healthcare and vacation time. Before you say I'm a cold cruel employer, has is it any different than offering the job for $182,000 and it comes with free healthcare and 4 weeks of paid vacation?

Frankly, the whole notion of paid sick leave, personal days, maternity leave, paid vacation, and any other excuse for being paid and not showing up for work is absurd. If you follow the simple notion that if an employee is not there, the boss has to pay someone else to do that job. An astute employer has to calculate that cost and factor it in when determining what the employee can be paid. IMO, it seems far more reasonable to tell an employee what time off costs, and let them take what they want. Have a friend who use to work for Dupont at the research facility. The Job came with 2 weeks of vacation. The employee could purchase 2 more weeks each year, simple and straight forward. Maybe I'm over estimating the intelligence of the average employee, but when the company says, "you've been with us 10 years, we're going to give you an extra 2 weeks of vacation this year". Maybe the employer should say it will cost us $8,000 to cover your position for the 2 weeks, would you prefer the money instead?

Ted
Your point is valid that it all comes with a cost. If every part of the compensation package and methods was readjusted to a different framework, It could work. However, increasing compensation and having employees then pay also has a problem within our tax system and would increase the taxes. Your question of whether $208k and pay for benefits is different than $182k plus vacation and healthcare is the same. No, tax wise the $208k plan costs more.

I do believe work hours should be limited and some amount of time off required. I would not support a plan that allowed the employees to never take vacation. Studies have shown the harm to both the employee and employer.

Now, part of what you're suggesting is consistent with "cafeteria benefits plans" which have been tried. There you have x dollars to use among all possible benefits in whatever way you wish.

Unpaid vacation is something that even if allowed would hurt employees in most companies if they did it. It would be interpreted as a lack of commitment to their job.

Part of the issue of time off is under staffing. Lack of capable backups. Companies are often not staffed adequately to handle the work when people are off. You return from vacation two weeks behind and it all piled up.

Companies also need to know their employees well enough to know which benefits mean the most to them and which mean very little. I've seen companies gear plans to their executives and have plans that didn't work at all for the rank and file. The problem is you're designing a plan for such a diverse group. Our plans cover many hundreds of workers making $15-20/hour ($30k-40k per year), a much smaller group making $60k-120k and a relatively small group making $200k and above. Our plans very much target the $30k-40k worker. They're the ones who can't afford large deductions and can't afford to lose pay checks to sickness or injury or to hurricanes or to family tragedy.

Interesting too things employers can do in many countries that they cannot do in the US. The biggest if providing fringe benefits that are tax deductible for the employer but are not taxable to the employee. Automobiles, vacations, other things. In the US those things are all taxable to employees and many of them are not even tax deductible for the employer.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:38 AM   #58

City: South Louisiana
I have worked for the same company for the last 15 years and only get 2 weeks of vacation a year. One week is normally spent in the Bahamas Out Islands and the other is used a day at a time to go to my daughters softball tournaments. I'm on salary with no over time or comp time for having to work overtime or weekends. I'm on call 2 to 3 weekend out of the month.
I have asked if I could take off additional time and it be deducted from my salary and have been told NO multiple times.
I make a good salary and my wife does a little better than I do. Most of my salary goes towards our retirement.
My daughters will be starting college about the time I turn 55 so after that I plan on retiring.
latravcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 01:34 PM   #59
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by latravcha View Post
I have worked for the same company for the last 15 years and only get 2 weeks of vacation a year. One week is normally spent in the Bahamas Out Islands and the other is used a day at a time to go to my daughters softball tournaments. I'm on salary with no over time or comp time for having to work overtime or weekends. I'm on call 2 to 3 weekend out of the month.
I have asked if I could take off additional time and it be deducted from my salary and have been told NO multiple times.
I make a good salary and my wife does a little better than I do. Most of my salary goes towards our retirement.
My daughters will be starting college about the time I turn 55 so after that I plan on retiring.
Egad. Incentive bonuses? Is the salary high enough to make up for it? (Don't have to answer if you don't want to...just curious)
Old 12-13-2018, 01:39 PM   #60
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Egad. Incentive bonuses? Is the salary high enough to make up for it? (Don't have to answer if you don't want to...just curious)
Unfortunately quite typical of many US employers. Less holidays than you're use to as well.