Vacation Time...How much do you have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How much vacation time off do you get per year?

• Vacation? What's that? Seriously, I struggle to get any so boating is only weekends.

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • 1 or 2 weeks a year. Standard US vacation time.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • 3 or 4 weeks a year. Better than 1 or 2 but not great.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • 5 or 6 weeks a year. Still working but now getting decent time off.

Votes: 26 19.1%
  • 7 to 10 weeks a year. I've reached the point of substantial time to play.

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • 11 to 17 weeks a year. Oh boy. Now this is getting good. I'll share my secret...maybe.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • 18 to 34 weeks a year. Half work, half play. Those with 4 on and 4 off would fit here too.

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • 35 to 48 weeks a year. I'm mostly retired. Work less than 4 months a year.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I'm retired but still do some work. Just very flexible and control my schedule.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • I'm fully retired. No work. Outgrew that. Play, play, play.

Votes: 46 33.8%

• Total voters
Greetings,
"...info about the U.K. System, Fox News."?

200w.gif

“Where do you get your info about the U.K. System, Fox News.”

Please keep the politics and your anger out of these forums. They have a way of ruining a perfectly good Thursday morning.

Whoa.... First of all I’m not angry I’m just a rather blunt person.

We have managed care in the US, too. The committees in the hospital are called “U&R” which stands for utilization and review”. Not all plans in the US are managed care, which is my point, we can choose.

I thought this was the part of the forum where we could express our opinions about anything, sorry.

When I started here in Qatar I had 7 weeks plus 2-1/2 weeks of public holidays. However since the oil crash and embargo, things have softened a lot. Now down to 4 weeks.

Sounds like a lot, but as a westerner living in the Middle East, it’s barely enough time to recharge.

I thought this was the part of the forum where we could express our opinions about anything, sorry.

Wifey B: Actually there is no part of the forum for politics and misinformation. However, this thread is not in Harbor Chat and I don't want it detoured to that area. It's about Vacation and leisure time and health care came in as it is related as another important fringe benefit.

There is a lot of ignorance and misinformation about "other countries", whether that's those in the US who have no grasp of how the Canadian, British, or Australian systems work and those in the other countries who really don't understand the US systems. Even as easy as communications has become today, we often learn from pundits or rumors and not by talking to people who actually live there. Now, that is part of what this thread is about, vacation and benefits in different countries.

My hubby years ago went to a finance conference in France with participants from South Africa, Austria, Germany, France, Spain, the UK, Italy and the US. At dinner they got into discussions about work schedules and weekends and nights and hours and vacations. The others were all shocked at the US. They had no idea was was normal and considered acceptable here. It was especially important to a couple from the UK as their company had been acquired by a US company and huge conflicts over vacations had already surfaced. As it turned out, those attending from the UK all left within a year as they decided firmly they were not going to work under those circumstances or for a US company based on that company, which was the extreme.

Now, back to my original poll and survey. The majority on this website are either retired or get a lot of vacation with a few US members still working and having very little time off. We talk about why Millennial's don't buy or about dock queens, but apparently some forget when they were less fortunate and others don't grasp those in different professions. While some people have no interest in boating, the major limitations to boating are time and money. This is even more important in trawlers and a reason few young people own true trawlers. When you only have a weekend here and there, you can't get very far at 6 knots. That's why so many express cruisers. While over half here are either retired or semi-retired or very much in control of their time off by schedules like 28 on and 28 off, 10% get 2 weeks or less vacation as is typical for most younger Americans, and 35% get 3 to 6 weeks a year, which is better, but very different from those who cruise all the time. In our discussions here, we need to keep those in mind.

The disparity is a good thing but one we sometimes overlook. True trawler owners is a very very small subset of boaters. Cruisers is a slightly larger group. Unfortunately both are far outnumbered by weekend boaters. More would love the lifestyles those of us who are retired may have, but they can't live them. Now, those who are older would probably love to have the health of those who are younger and destroying their health slowly through working themselves to death. Tangled web.

I do so appreciate those who voted in my poll. It does give a better perspective into those who are here. Keep it coming with the good information. Be careful not to fall into misinformation.

Thank you all. Now Wifey B continues on the road from Myrtle Beach to Fort Lauderdale and finding herself craving some lunch and I swear I-95 coming into Jacksonville is sure lacking in restaurants so I must do some searching for places off the highway or give into Aurora and settle for McDonald's. :)

Thank you. My statements are in no way intended to be political. If you believe I am spreading misinformation I urge you to do your own research. I have strong feelings about an industry I have some involvement in, that’s all.

I am sorry if I offended anyone, it was not my intention.

It’s difficult for me to determine when it is appropriate to participate in a hijacking....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom