View Poll Results: How much vacation time off do you get per year?
Vacation? What's that? Seriously, I struggle to get any so boating is only weekends. 4 2.94%
1 or 2 weeks a year. Standard US vacation time. 8 5.88%
3 or 4 weeks a year. Better than 1 or 2 but not great. 21 15.44%
5 or 6 weeks a year. Still working but now getting decent time off. 26 19.12%
7 to 10 weeks a year. I've reached the point of substantial time to play. 6 4.41%
11 to 17 weeks a year. Oh boy. Now this is getting good. I'll share my secret...maybe. 2 1.47%
18 to 34 weeks a year. Half work, half play. Those with 4 on and 4 off would fit here too. 4 2.94%
35 to 48 weeks a year. I'm mostly retired. Work less than 4 months a year. 7 5.15%
I'm retired but still do some work. Just very flexible and control my schedule. 12 8.82%
I'm fully retired. No work. Outgrew that. Play, play, play. 46 33.82%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-25-2018, 11:09 AM   #121
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLD View Post
A public option would not necessarily cost most individuals more. First, it would help reign in the run-away cost of health care as services could be better negotiated. Second, while most Americans would see an increase in taxes, there would be a decrease in overall cost for lots of folks as they wouldn't find themselves paying $1600 a month for health insurance.
After factoring in all costs, please show me something the government does less expensively than the private sector. How many hundreds of thousands of government employees will need to be hired to administer this program? How many tens of Billions of dollars, per year will this program be able to misplace (not account for) because it's to big and important? We currently have this problem with the recent Pentagon audit. If you think government healthcare is going to be so great, review the current healthcare system the government completely controls. That would be the Veterans Administration healthcare program. The government is doing such a wonderful job with it that Veterans are now allowed to see private sector doctors when they can't be seen in a timely manner. I'm trying to imagine the cost of a new hospital built to federal specifications. The only thing more expensive than private sector healthcare is federal government healthcare with zero financial accountability.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 11:26 AM   #122
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
A couple of thoughts.....

If only we could reduce the average cost of healthcare to $7000 or $8000 per person, think how much further what employers contribute would go and how much closer we would be to affordable healthcare. Now, if we could hit Canada's number and reduce our cost from $10,224 to $4,826, just imagine.

Medicare provides better coverage to a more aged and sick group of people for the same price (government and individual cost) as other plans providing far less and covering a healthier, younger group. That's even with fraud and abuse that takes place. Yes, the government does it better than private insurance. But then the government doesn't have to turn a profit.

One key difference in the US System vs others is the extent of Capitalism. There is profit built in for the drug maker, drug distributor, drug retailer, doctor's group, doctor, hospital company, hospital, doctors groups in hospital, emergency room group, ambulance services, insurance companies, equipment manufacturers, equipment distributors. We aren't truly talking "cost" but we're talking "price" for the services. The actual cost probably isn't all that much higher than other countries, maybe 40-50% instead of 110%, but the actual cost is buried very deep in the picture and is unknown to any of us.

A link between vacation time and medical costs. Our lack of leisure time definitely contributes to our health problems. So, lack of vacation increases average medical costs. How much, I can't quantify, but it's the major difference that can explain why we're less healthy than other countries.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 11:46 AM   #123
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Vacation Time...How much do you have?

Yes, I can afford it, but many can’t, and that’s a big problem.

And your “I’ve got mine so screw everyone else” credo greatly annoys me, and it’s bad for our country.

Merry Christmas!
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 12:07 PM   #124
Guru

BandB, following your logic, why doesn't the government take over all aspects of food and remove all profit from growing and distribution. If we could eliminate all the profit we could lower the consumer costs 25 to maybe 50%. Just think how much healthier people would eat and we could eliminate all forms of hunger and malnutrition in our country. While I'm glad my step grandchildren had a wonderful Christmas today, I don't believe in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny or reduced costs through government efficiency.

While we're at it, make all forms of insurance government run and not for profit. After all, the national flood insurance program seems to be so financially sound.

Ted
Old 12-25-2018, 12:20 PM   #125
Veteran Member

City: Spring City
Vessel Name: interlude
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 43 mk11
Vacation time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
First, I don't have the answer.

The part of what you wrote that annoys me is that apparently you can afford it, but you feel somebody else should be paying part of your cost in the the form of what they pay in taxes. It annoys me that I pay a lot in taxes and healthcare is expensive because a significant portion of people in the USA pay little or nothing for healthcare.

While it's often pointed out that the Canadian system is cheaper as a healthcare cost, one needs to look at how few in Canada get a free ride. Also, the other number that's quite telling is the taxes paid by the bottom 50% in that counrty (much higher than in the USA).

Ted
well don't know about Canada but in the U.K. The normal tax rate is about on a par with here in the USA but as they pay a lot less for drugs etc and don't pay for medical insurance (unless they want get private healthcare) then the gross cost is much less.
yamabuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 12:24 PM   #126
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Yes, I can afford it, but many can’t, and that’s a big problem.

And your “I’ve got mine so screw everyone else” credo greatly annoys me, and it’s bad for our country.

Merry Christmas!
Please be so kind as to show me where I said or even implied that.

I want affordable healthcare for everyone. Unfortunately, when 35% of the population below 65 (Medicare threshold) don't participate in private insurance, a substantial amount of the costs of public healthcare and the uninsured, get built into the private sector costs. When the uninsured and underinsured don't pay we all bare those cost whether in insurance premiums or taxes.

Ted
Old 12-25-2018, 12:30 PM   #127
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamabuki View Post
well don't know about Canada but in the U.K. The normal tax rate is about on a par with here in the USA but as they pay a lot less for drugs etc and don't pay for medical insurance (unless they want get private healthcare) then the gross cost is much less.
On average, what percentage of their income do the bottom 50% pay in taxes in the UK? Think you will find that number much higher than in the USA. The money comes from somewhere.

Ted
Old 12-25-2018, 04:06 PM   #128
Guru

Quote:
BandB, following your logic, why doesn't the government take over all aspects of food and remove all profit from growing and distribution. If we could eliminate all the profit we could lower the consumer costs 25 to maybe 50%. Just think how much healthier people would eat and we could eliminate all forms of hunger and malnutrition in our country. While I'm glad my step grandchildren had a wonderful Christmas today, I don't believe in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny or reduced costs through government efficiency.
Healthcare is quite different from food. With food, the middlemen do add value. There's a value of packaging and distributing to stores and then a value of the retail store making it available. Each of those intermediaries also gets a relatively small profit percentage.

In healthcare, the insurer's profits and their high overhead add no real value. The profits of the pharmaceuticals are far more than anyone in the food chain.

I never said the government should run healthcare, just that they do so at a lower cost than the alternatives do today and that we do need to figure out a way to reduce what we're paying for healthcare. Medicare doesn't eliminate insurance companies but gives them different roles.
Old 12-25-2018, 05:30 PM   #129
Guru

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Ted: I believe there is a lot of misinformation peddled by the lobbyists and self interests in the US about the evils of the Canadian health care system, so be careful of your sources of information in that subject. Certainly I’m aware of no one up here facing bankruptcy, because they are facing a “holy $h!t” health care cost because of some uninsured illness. And I don’t find the taxes I pay up here especially burdensome. A bigger issue by far up here is the very high cost of housing in many communities, Vancouver, Toronto for examples. That’s another topic altogether!

As for the inefficiencies in government healthcare, you at least get rid of the middleman insurers who serve no useful purpose in a public health care plan.

Jim
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 08:58 PM   #130
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
Ted: I believe there is a lot of misinformation peddled by the lobbyists and self interests in the US about the evils of the Canadian health care system, so be careful of your sources of information in that subject. Certainly I’m aware of no one up here facing bankruptcy, because they are facing a “holy $h!t” health care cost because of some uninsured illness. And I don’t find the taxes I pay up here especially burdensome. A bigger issue by far up here is the very high cost of housing in many communities, Vancouver, Toronto for examples. That’s another topic altogether!

As for the inefficiencies in government healthcare, you at least get rid of the middleman insurers who serve no useful purpose in a public health care plan.

Jim
I had a long talk with a former Canadian businessman over several days who was trying to bring me around to his way of thinking on the Canadian healthcare system. Some interesting points came out. Please correct me on any points that are incorrect.

The Canadian system only covers their citizens. Foreigners pay fee for service.
Canada doesn't have 35% of its population paying little or nothing for their coverage.
The Bottom 50% of Canadians essentially pay little or no income tax.

The point that was being made is that the tax rate in Canada isn't excessive, but it's my understanding that the bottom 50% do pay taxes. Secondly, Canada's healthcare isn't being overwhelmed by illegals and the lower income citizens who aren't contributing.

Ted
Old 12-25-2018, 09:55 PM   #131
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Healthcare is quite different from food. With food, the middlemen do add value. There's a value of packaging and distributing to stores and then a value of the retail store making it available. Each of those intermediaries also gets a relatively small profit percentage.

In healthcare, the insurer's profits and their high overhead add no real value. The profits of the pharmaceuticals are far more than anyone in the food chain.

I never said the government should run healthcare, just that they do so at a lower cost than the alternatives do today and that we do need to figure out a way to reduce what we're paying for healthcare. Medicare doesn't eliminate insurance companies but gives them different roles.
A large part of the increase in healthcare costs has to do with government mandates as opposed to letting the paying consumer choose what they want. Back before the government interfered, my exwife and I could purchase health insurance without pregnancy coverage for about 2/3 of the cost of coverage including pregnancy coverage. My wife and I at age 60 don't need pregnancy coverage. But because this coverage mandated by the government, I have to have it and pay for it. Same thing is true for smoking cigarettes. We use to buy health insurance where a company accessed your potential cost to the company based on lifestyle choices, and charged you accordingly. Now we have healthcare without incentives to improve your lifestyle. It should be no surprise that we consume a lot more healthcare, and we're in much worse shape on average. What we have now is shared cost healthcare without the incentives to live a healthier lifestyle to lower our insurance costs.

The government has zero interest in lowering healthcare costs. If they did they would start with simple things like like taxing cigarettes at $20 a pack so that only the rich could afford to get lung cancer. They would limit the saturated fat and salt contents in food. While it may not be cause and effect, in the last 50 years, the more that government has changed health insurance into healthcare, the worse the health of the average American seems to be.

Ted
Old 12-25-2018, 11:25 PM   #132
Guru

Ted, you're mixing healthcare costs and the costs of health insurance. Two entirely separate things. Healthcare costs are what I compared in one post and for them it doesn't matter who is paying or how. You can look procedure by procedure and it's more expensive in the US. You can look at medications and they're more expensive. The cost of insurance is another issue, but the biggest issue is that healthcare itself is so costly. Now, many factors contribute to the high healthcare costs and it's not something I want to debate here, just leave it at the fact they're high and with employers covering a portion, that's fringe benefit money that limits the amount employers can spend on other things. Simply, compared to other countries, we spend more on healthcare and we have less time off. The work routines certainly contribute to the healthcare costs and the levels of heart attacks, strokes, and other major illnesses as we don't take care of ourselves mentally and physically.

Many employers are abusive and take advantage of employees who feel they have no choice. They have policies and practices regarding work time and vacation that would be illegal in many places. There is no other major country that doesn't even require employees be given any vacation or holidays.
Old 12-26-2018, 12:17 AM   #133
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMoose View Post
IMHO the problem in the US is not the cost of healthcare, it is the lack of transparency in provider pricing. Much of this occurred because of well intentioned regulations that resulted in unintended consequences.

Imagine if you went to get your car fixed and they refused to give you a quote until after the car was fixed? That’s exactly how healthcare works!

I don’t necessarily disagree with you but...

A patient can come in to my office and say “My vision is blurred. How much will it cost for me to see clearly?”. That is an impossible question to answer. We can tell them how much an exam will be, and that will take care of many problems, but if the problem isn’t something that can be diagnosed and dealt with in that exam, then we have no idea how much it will cost the patient to even find the proper diagnosis. Here in the US their is added confusion between vision plans and medical plans. Vision plans only cover routine, refractive exams. Non-routine medical eye exams aren’t covered by the vision plan but by the medical plans. Their deductibles are likely different between the two plans.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 12:35 AM   #134
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Our vacation policy....now we actually don't separate vacation from holidays from sick and personal. We only grant Paid Time Off. Even sick time up to 3 days illness or injury counts against PTO. Greater than 3 days is "Disability" and requires those documents.

As a small employer we do not have a generous vacation policy. 3 weeks is the max that an employee can earn in addition to the 6 or so Holiday vacation days. We also have given 6 days of sick leave to each employee that was front loaded at the their hire date.

We had been considering changing to a PTO system whereby the employee could use the PTO for either vacation or illness/emergency. Washington State has a new law that went into effect this year that mandates an accrual system for sick leave as well as allowing employees to carry over up to 40 hours from one year to the next. Due to the hassles of meeting the state requirements, we have given up the idea of moving to a PTO system.

I have three types of employees. 1) Those that show up to work unless they are sick, 2) Those that show up for work unless they are dead, 3) Those that magically are sick the same number of days that they have sick time. I really, really despise the 3rd type. Generally, they don’t last as long as the other two types and it never is related to their sick time usage.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 12-26-2018, 12:56 AM   #135
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLD View Post
A public option would not necessarily cost most individuals more. First, it would help reign in the run-away cost of health care as services could be better negotiated. Second, while most Americans would see an increase in taxes, there would be a decrease in overall cost for lots of folks as they wouldn't find themselves paying $1600 a month for health insurance.

The biggest advantage problem I see with the US system (remember that I earn my living in that system) is that it is inefficient. The last time I looked in Washington State, private insurance companies had higher overhead than Medicaid. This means that more of the health care dollar actually goes to providing health care through the public system than the private system.

In addition, there are a lot of inefficiencies that occur at the clinic and hospital level. It takes a lot of staff and time to negotiate the various insurance companies that we have to deal with. If we only had to deal with one insurance program, I could reduce my employees by 25%. As with most service oriented businesses, employee costs are a HUGE portion of my overhead. Reducing that by 25% would mean I could reduce my fees accordingly. It is no coincidence that we offer a time of service discount of 20% (ie they pay when they are in the office instead of us having to bill anyone).

Finally, since every insurance payer uses a different set of rules for determining what is covered, when it is covered, and for what conditions, it means that often appropriate care is delayed while we figure out what will be covered.

So far, none of the proposals in the US that I’ve seen (including the ACA) address these three problems. Unfortunately, the insurance lobby is so influential that very few in Congress are willing to address them. Instead we are given platitudes based on dogma.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 12-26-2018, 01:22 AM   #136
Guru

Quote:
After factoring in all costs, please show me something the government does less expensively than the private sector. How many hundreds of thousands of government employees will need to be hired to administer this program? How many tens of Billions of dollars, per year will this program be able to misplace (not account for) because it's to big and important? We currently have this problem with the recent Pentagon audit. If you think government healthcare is going to be so great, review the current healthcare system the government completely controls. That would be the Veterans Administration healthcare program. The government is doing such a wonderful job with it that Veterans are now allowed to see private sector doctors when they can't be seen in a timely manner. I'm trying to imagine the cost of a new hospital built to federal specifications. The only thing more expensive than private sector healthcare is federal government healthcare with zero financial accountability.

The last time I looked at it, I think that the Federal Government pays for over 40% of the health care in the US. The VA is one system, the military is another system. Add to that all the federal employees with health insurance as well as Medicare and the non-state portion of Medicaid. That is just what the feds are paying for. If you add in what state and local governments are paying for, the total amount of health care that is paid for by government is around 70%.

Yeah, the VA has problems because they are a very large organization. In my region we have Boing, Microsoft, Weyerhaeuser, and Google to just name a few large private corporations. Because of this, I know lots of folks that work for those companies. My son is a financial analyst who has worked for IBM and American Airlines, two very large corporations. I can tell you with complete certainty, that they have as many inefficiencies as equally large public organizations. FWIW, the VA generally provides outstanding healthcare to a high risk population.

We all know that there are economies of scale. However, when an organization gets too large they can become less efficient. As such, I don’t think that a UK type national health service would be the best for the US. We are simply too big. However, a single payer system would work. Rather than multiple insurance companies with a multitude of plans, we could have a single plan to cover everyone. Providers and hospitals would still be competing in the marketplace to attract patients.

I was a consultant for a while for the WA state Medicaid program. I was astonished to discover that the private insurers spent twice as much administering their plans as the state of WA spent administering Medicaid. This was before the advent of the ACA.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 12-26-2018, 01:28 AM   #137
Guru

Quote:
While I'm glad my step grandchildren had a wonderful Christmas today, I don't believe in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny or reduced costs through government efficiency.

I think that may be part of the problem we face. When looking at such issues we rely on our “belief”. Belief certainly is important when asking what is the meaning of Christmas or Easter, but has little place when it comes to public policy.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 12-26-2018, 01:36 AM   #138
Guru

Quote:
I want affordable healthcare for everyone. Unfortunately, when 35% of the population below 65 (Medicare threshold) don't participate in private insurance, a substantial amount of the costs of public healthcare and the uninsured, get built into the private sector costs. When the uninsured and underinsured don't pay we all bare those cost whether in insurance premiums or taxes.

Ted

I agree with you. I don’t view healthcare as a “right”. However, I don’t want to live in a community where my fellows can’t get access to healthcare. Because of this, I’d really like some form of universal health care. Figuring out how to actually do it is the hard part.

Two other ways where the uninsured and underinsured costs us are the unreimbursed care that is provided by providers and hospitals. I try to not end up with patients owing me money. However, it happens. Sometimes when that happens, I never get paid. The cost of that unpaid care is inevitably passed on me, my employees, my patients, my patients insurance companies, and eventually onto their employers and governmental payers.

The other place is costs us all is in medical bankruptcy. If someone goes bankrupt because of medical bills, a lot of folks never get paid. We pay for those trickle down costs as well.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 12-26-2018, 01:57 AM   #139
Guru

Quote:
The government has zero interest in lowering healthcare costs. If they did they would start with simple things like like taxing cigarettes at $20 a pack so that only the rich could afford to get lung cancer. They would limit the saturated fat and salt contents in food. While it may not be cause and effect, in the last 50 years, the more that government has changed health insurance into healthcare, the worse the health of the average American seems to be.

Federal and State government agencies have a huge interest in lowering healthcare costs. Medicare has been a leader in this area. Many of the initiatives that CMS has undertaken over the past 30 years have been adopted by private insurers because they provide good ways to control costs.

Your equating that with taxing cigarettes is actually silly when you think about it. It is us, not “they” that approve taxes. If we as voters wanted to tax cigarettes at $20 a pack, we could do it. There hasn’t been the political will to do it. In other words we (collectively) don’t want to.

Mortality and morbidity rates have dropped over the past 50 years. I think that lost work days due to illness have decreased. Interestingly, self-reported healthy days has decrease over the past 30 years. It seems we are living longer, are healthier, have less disability, fewer overnight hospitals stays, but we think are we less healthy than folks thought in the past.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 12-26-2018, 12:40 PM   #140

City: southern California
Back to the vacation hours....

So I work for a municipal government as a first responder. We work 24 hour shifts and a 56 hour work week of straight time. There are no holidays off per se.

With my time on, I get 17 shifts off per year. That includes the “holidays” we don’t get, vacation, sick, and personal time. We have one bank of PTO we call AL (annual leave.)

However, because of the way the rotating shift schedule works out, I get two “weekends” every 28 day cycle, one is four days, the other is six days.

The boat is about 10 minutes away from the house, and we’re about 4 hours cruise away from the Channel Islands, so we tend to spend a lot of time there. The wife is a teacher, so she has the summer off, and weekends during the fall.

Unfortunately the late summer and fall is our busy time at work, and I’ve been deployed over 45 days during the season each of the last two years. That really cuts into the cruising time. But we still manage to run island trips, and we do a two week multi-family trip to Catalina every year.

However, the real perk to my job is the ability to trade shifts without restriction. So we’re leaving at the end of January to cruise the sea of Cortez for half a season, and I’ve already banked four of the six months off. It’s not really vacation, as I’ve already worked those hours. My wife has taken the time off as an unpaid leave, as they wouldn’t let her use the time off she’s accrued over a 25 year career.

I spent over a decade in IT before I changed careers. With one exception, everyone in my office thought I was insane for taking a huge pay cut and changing jobs to follow a childhood dream. It was a rough first few years, but it was the second best choice I’ve ever made (behind marrying my wife, definitely married up.)

Josh
questionmark is offline   Reply With Quote