View Poll Results: How much vacation time off do you get per year?
Vacation? What's that? Seriously, I struggle to get any so boating is only weekends. 4 2.96%
1 or 2 weeks a year. Standard US vacation time. 8 5.93%
3 or 4 weeks a year. Better than 1 or 2 but not great. 21 15.56%
5 or 6 weeks a year. Still working but now getting decent time off. 26 19.26%
7 to 10 weeks a year. I've reached the point of substantial time to play. 6 4.44%
11 to 17 weeks a year. Oh boy. Now this is getting good. I'll share my secret...maybe. 2 1.48%
18 to 34 weeks a year. Half work, half play. Those with 4 on and 4 off would fit here too. 3 2.22%
35 to 48 weeks a year. I'm mostly retired. Work less than 4 months a year. 7 5.19%
I'm retired but still do some work. Just very flexible and control my schedule. 12 8.89%
I'm fully retired. No work. Outgrew that. Play, play, play. 46 34.07%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-16-2018, 11:43 PM   #81

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Mary A
Vessel Model: Chris-Craft Speedster
“Our plans cover many hundreds of workers making $15-20/hour ($30k-40k per year“

Seems like an opportunity to put your tax savings to work for those that do for you?

Padeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 12:01 AM   #82
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Dutch Barge Caroliner
Vessel Model: Selway-Fisher 45' Teign Luxe Motor
I'm 41 and medically retired. I do work light jobs as they come up.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 05:15 AM   #83
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
Still having work related nightmares. 60. Full time retired for 5 years now. Snowbirding it with 2 dirt homes. 6 months in NJ then 6 months in FL part-time cruising with the Monk docked 5 minutes away.
Still, 16 years after retirement, the majority of my dreams concern me un-retiring and facing the resulting frustrations!
Old 12-17-2018, 02:21 PM   #84
Veteran Member

City: Spring City
Vessel Name: interlude
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 43 mk11
Vac time, how much do you have

Both retired but have a small business raising koi carp and peafowl ( koitogo.com) so keep pretty busy but can get away 3 or 4 days at a time for short cruising, boat at bottom of garden.
yamabuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 02:47 PM   #85

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Malagari
Vessel Model: Island Gypsy 36 Europa
This is an interesting thread - for me down here anyway- 4 weeks annual leave is the norm in Aus, irrespective of time with the company ( I think it is an industrial law?) and for long service, after 10 years - 2 months. Both annual and long service leave is taken at normal rates of pay. I guess we are the lucky country although I think many European countries are similar.

Personally, its irrelevant. I retired from full time work 4 years ago and now work occasionally to allow me to indulge my hobbies - boat and old cars.
Brisyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 03:25 PM   #86
Veteran Member

I work full time, of retirement age, own a trawler an hours drive away- getting boat and finances in order for official retirement in a couple of years or so—we go to it almost every weekend and spend night at the marina- love our current private marina with all the social connections—also try to take as many mini trips as possible on the hook or at a marina— will be taking multiple week long trips during the year— since I have been at my company over 30 years I get 29 days of vacation and 10 paid holidays- so lots of time off to enjoy — I like having the trawler an hour away in a different city, it is basically our second home- plan on keeping our current land based home even in retirement- to mix it up
godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 03:28 PM   #87

City: penngrove
Vessel Model: North River Offshore 2700s
62 and I get 4 weeks. I am real close (well 3 years) away from retiring and looping!!

I currently own a north river 27 for fishing in a local lake and to take out on the SF bay on occasion. Planning on selling this boat to purchase a trawler after retirement.
z1nonlyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 03:42 PM   #88

City: Normal, IL
24 years with my company and I get 30 days( 6 weeks) per year.
chuse927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 03:47 PM   #89
Guru

City: New England and Canada to Florida
Vessel Name: Tadhana
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38 Pilothouse
We live aboard, and did so for 5 years before I retired. My commute was less than 5 minutes .That allowed us to be underway by 5:00 every Friday and we could be underway all or part of nearly 200 days a year. I'm now mostly retired but work about 1 or 2 days a week from the boat. Cristina works full time from the boat so we now cruise full time. If I keep the throttle below 2200 she can make $$ faster than I spend them.
tadhana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 05:07 PM   #90
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisyboy View Post
This is an interesting thread - for me down here anyway- 4 weeks annual leave is the norm in Aus, irrespective of time with the company ( I think it is an industrial law?) and for long service, after 10 years - 2 months. Both annual and long service leave is taken at normal rates of pay. I guess we are the lucky country although I think many European countries are similar.

Personally, its irrelevant. I retired from full time work 4 years ago and now work occasionally to allow me to indulge my hobbies - boat and old cars.
Just for information, here are the minimums by law by country for some of the countries represented here.

Listed are paid vacation plus paid holidays and total based on 5 day weeks so divide by 5 to get weeks.

Australia 20+10=30
France 25+11=36
Germany 20+9=29
Italy 20+12=32
New Zealand 20+11=31
UK 20+8=28
US 0+0=0

Canada varies by province and can be 10 to 20 + 6 to 10 so total 16 to 30

Obviously the loser is the US
The winner is Iran at 26+27=53
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 07:41 AM   #91
Veteran Member

City: Cape Canaveral FL
INTERESTING TOPIC
I am a young 71 ( retired 10 years )
Wife not so healthy 68 retired many years due too medical
Always owing a boat , cruisers, fishing . sail
I am a river rat . Cant be without a boat & water life.
Wife never liked my boats , no comfortable bathroom , A/C, comforts of home .

I am on this forum getting info on trawlers and this post got my interest

I don't want too give up my home, garage, tools , old truck , corvette and come too terms with that . Ocean is 75 miles each way. I sleep aboard returning home in a day or two
I own a 30 ft twin engine power cruiser . My water condo
Purchased cause wife fell in love with cabin . Stupid way too buy a boat but figured this type of yacht will get me back into a larger boat then SELL .
Home a few days I am climbing walls needing too get back too ocean
Have this desire too travel via water , but present boat burns too much fuel , limited on space , not designed for the long voyage
INTERESTING SIDE NOTE
I am in FLA, at gas dock , talking with a young man on his 40 ft sail boat
Possibly 35 years of age,
Just returning from a long voyage traveling back home too Carolinas
WOW how cool , doing that voyage . Wish I had the guts too do that

SAIL OR TRAWLER
Wife joins me to do something together but will never have the adventure or comfort level or love of the ocean as I do
I have spoken with many men that had the same desire as me , NOW DOING IT THEMSELVES .
WIFES say there going back too land .

RETIRMENT offers time too do things , does not mean you have too do it together
JOY-SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 08:22 AM   #92
Guru

City: Jupiter, Florida
Vessel Name: Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Just for information, here are the minimums by law by country for some of the countries represented here.

Listed are paid vacation plus paid holidays and total based on 5 day weeks so divide by 5 to get weeks.

Australia 20+10=30
France 25+11=36
Germany 20+9=29
Italy 20+12=32
New Zealand 20+11=31
UK 20+8=28
US 0+0=0

Canada varies by province and can be 10 to 20 + 6 to 10 so total 16 to 30

Obviously the loser is the US
The winner is Iran at 26+27=53
Sweden is not on the list at 34 days (25+9). Although it has changed slightly with employees using some vacation during other times of the year, traditionally everyone was on vacation for the month of July. Employers are also, by law, required to alert employees when they are about to max out vacation and lose time. My company is headquartered in Sweden, formerly family owned and now traded on the Stockholm Exchange. Every now and then a brave (naive) soul will question a board member on the the contradiction in thinking and policy between there and here. A chill comes over the group. This despite the huge amount of evidence on the increased productiveness and employee well being, loyalty, etc. Just not done over here.
firstbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 09:26 AM   #93
Guru

City: Bayfield, WI
Vessel Name: Gopher Broke
Vessel Model: Silverton 410 Sport Bridge
I'm 54 years old and live 4 hours away from the boat. I get 8 weeks, but I marked 6 weeks on the poll. That's because the eight weeks is total time off, including sick time, time to go to the doctor, wait for someone to deliver a package, Etc. Anytime that you are away from the office you need to take PTO. Also, I'm so busy at work that it is rare that I can take all of the time that I'm allotted.

That said, I always make sure that I get at least one solid week on the boat and as many 3 or 4 day weekends as possible. I live in Minnesota so my boating season is much constrained compared to other locations. You have to go when you can.
BDofMSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 11:44 AM   #94
Guru

City: Bainbridge Island
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: 2018 Hampton Endurance 658
Retired at 59 after building a business for 32 years. Signed the contract to build the boat five weeks later. Hope to get 60-90 days out next year. Got lucky with moorage. A marina 3.1 miles from the house remodeled and expanded. We got a choice location and didn't even have to pay one month early.

Having lived and worked in Australia, and enjoying my travel and time off, our company had a pretty generous policy, at least for a small, American, company. I forget exactly but something like:

1-2 years: 2 weeks
3-8 years: 3 weeks
9-20 years: 4 weeks
20+ years: 6 weeks

We had challenges with the 4+ weeks group taking their time off. I'd say maybe 60% would build more than the allowable backlog (so we had to pay the vacation off).
Old 12-18-2018, 01:10 PM   #95
Guru

A few trends in the US today.

Things are slowly evolving with a few companies following brave new paths. There's a trend toward lumping time off all under PTO or Personal Time Off and not differentiating holidays or personal from vacation. Some companies still maintain separate sick days while others even lump them in. Most companies do not differentiate sick from personal days now. The trend is also toward being more understanding that sometimes people just need a day off, whether you call that sick or not. It might even be referred to as a mental health day.

In Silicone Valley and with some other businesses, there's a new movement called unlimited vacation days or unlimited time off. I don't really understand how in practice that works without some managers holding taking too much time off against some employees.

Also, a few companies including some law firms I'm aware of offering and encouraging time off for volunteer work.

And a few companies becoming more generous with Sabbaticals after a certain number of years, some paid, some unpaid.

Reminder that 23% of US employees get no paid vacation or holidays.

Interestingly, employers in Idaho, South Dakota and Maryland give the most vacation time at 22, 21 and 18 days. Alaska, Kentucky and Mississippi average the least at 8, 9 and 9.

A few companies leading the way in more time off:

IKEA-Not surprising a Swedish Company would. 3 weeks at start, 5 weeks after 5 years, 7 weeks after 10 years. Also, vacation for part time employees as you'd just get it proportional to your normal hours worked.

GOOGLE-3 weeks after a year, 4 weeks after 3 years and 5 weeks after 5 years.

MONSANTO-4 weeks in second year plus a week between Christmas and New Year's.

INTEL-3 to 4 weeks vacation but 4 weeks of paid sabbatical every 4 years or 8 weeks every 7 years.

One other trend. When I was young we admired the person who worked even though they were very sick, so determined, so committed. Now, we've come to the realization that coming to work with contagious conditions is unhealthy for the employee and all others so now most employers are discouraging it.
Old 12-18-2018, 02:49 PM   #96
Guru

Quote:
The trend is also toward being more understanding that sometimes people just need a day off, whether you call that sick or not. It might even be referred to as a mental health day

I have called in "sea sick" on more than one occasion.....of course I would shut down the engine and turn off the VHF before I made the call.

New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 03:08 PM   #97
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
I have called in "sea sick" on more than one occasion.....of course I would shut down the engine and turn off the VHF before I made the call.
We encourage employees to call in honestly. Don't want it all the time, but we've had "I went to my sister's 21st birthday party and partied too late." That's fine unless you use the same one every week.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:12 PM   #98
JLD
Guru

City: Maryland
After 35 years, I get 26 days of vacation per year.

Next month I turn 59 years old. I could have retired 3 years ago, but since my wife and I like to eat three meals a day, I decided to wait a couple more years!

I'll probably retire in 3 more years (after I turn 62).

We, hopefully, go to settlement next week on selling our house that we built and have lived in for the past 25 years. We don't plan on buying our retirement home for at least another 5 years. We are currently leasing a home and thinking about buying our first powerboat in a year or so. (plan on keeping my small sailboat for another year so that I can better teach my adult daughter to sail.)

What is complicating our boat buying decision is that we are considering living in Barcelona, Spain, for a year after I retire. Thus, we are deliberating whether to buy a boat before I retire (and enjoy the Chesapeake Bay for a couple of years and then store it on the hard for a year) or wait until we return from Europe?

Jim
JLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 07:16 PM   #99
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. JLD. MY $.02. Wait until after you return from overseas. There will still be boats for sale, you won't have to store your "new" boat for a year (xtra $$) and you can spend that year looking at boats and giving sailing lessons. Perhaps even rent for a week or two.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:30 PM   #100
Guru

City: Bayfield, WI
Vessel Name: Gopher Broke
Vessel Model: Silverton 410 Sport Bridge
JLD, we have a similar plan except that we'll do half a year there (winters) followed by summers living on the boat. That pattern should work for quite a few years and gets us home to see family etc. Plus we can chose a new place or the same to go back to. Sadly this is about 8 years away still ...

BDofMSP is online now   Reply With Quote