V berth comfort

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Godabitibi

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
Mainship 40 Pilothouse
Again a question from my unexperieced knowledge.
For those of you who only have a v berth. How comfortable is it to sleep in those.
The two single beds on each side seem very small to me. Do you get use to it to appreciate it ?
I'm not really in need of two room for a boat but like the comfy size of a aft cabin room with a large bed.
I want the right boat for us but damn it's hard to take the right decision.

Our Willard 36 is a small single stateroom boat. It had head forward with double Pullman berth to port. Was a small double berth and of course one had to climb over the other to get out. We are in the process of re-configuring to a v-berth to enhance access. Each bunk will be about 30 inches wide at the shoulder, a bit narrower at the feet of course. Will be a welcome change from the Pullman berth.

Most people strongly prefer some sort of island queen. I can't say as in lame them, but if you want that in the forward stateroom, would take a considerably larger boat.

Good luck in your search.

Peter

"Was a small double berth and of course one had to climb over the other to get out."

As crew gets older this is a real hassle 1/2 dozen times a night.

"Was a small double berth and of course one had to climb over the other to get out."

As crew gets older this is a real hassle 1/2 dozen times a night.
Yea, funny how priorities change over the years - 24 years in our case.

Im told there are more surprises to come.....

On my 37 sportfish, the v berth was so large, with the filer iece in, 2 could sleep comfy side by side. It was a large stateroom with lots of headroom over the bunk. Still had the climb over issue.

On my 40 trawler, not so nice...so it really depends on the boat and exactly what you want.

One of the other things that contribute to a good stateroom berth is the ease of putting sheets on the bed. When we had a 36' GB Classic the double berth was to starboard against the cabin wall and the head and foot of the bed were against walls as well. Only one side of the bed was accessible. Along with having to climb over the outboard bed occupant, making up that bed was a backbreaking and dreaded endeavor. It devolved to using a spatula to stuff the sheet in between the mattress and the walls.

On our current boat the master stateroom has a queen berth with access to the foot, 3/4's of each side and no access to the head which is against the cabin wall. That mattress is tough to makeup as well but a whole lot easier than the aforementioned arrangement. We eventually replaced the mattress with a folding model that has made the sheet installation way easier.

To get in and out without so much hassle, if you V birth is large enough, but your head at the bow. If I go in feet first its much more of a hassle in and out, head first in and my feet are already where they should be to get out.

Kind of like the economic principle: first in, first out; first in last out; last in first out, last in last out.

When you are young and flexible, feet first into a v-berth is a great way to sleep with a partner. As you get older, and climbing in that way becomes more difficult, not so much. Then, taking the middle out of the V, and making it two singles, makes a lot more sense. It really is, mostly, a matter of how flexible you are, and how often you have to get up to go to the bathroom during the night.

And then, eventually, you get to the age where, no matter how much you might enjoy intimate relations with your spouse, it really is easier to sleep in separate beds.

For us having another berth was invaluable, cuz we like to take people with us.

My current V-berth didn't have a center section - just 2 beds across from each other, meeting at the bow. My wife wanted a filler, so I built one that basically makes the V-berth a huge triangular bed.

Our tallest guest (6'4') decided he wanted that for a 3-day we did. He claims it was the roomiest and slept great. Go figure.

My 2 cents - an extra room is always good.

My boat has a V-berth. At the wide end it is wider than the queen we have at home. Not so much at the narrow end. One thing about a V-berth is the bedding. Most is designed for square beds so you end up with a lot of excess bedding at the narrow end. Custom sheets and blankets get expensive unless you can make/modify them yourself.

Back
Top Bottom