Old 04-05-2020, 06:42 AM   #61
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Steam turbine. Still a steam engine, but your question is understood. Built in the 1970's as a tanker.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 07:33 AM   #62
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Steam turbine. Still a steam engine, but your question is understood. Built in the 1970's as a tanker.
I do hope it was never used as a tanker. It may have cost more to remove all traces of petroleum than the ship was worth.

Not a thing wrong with a steam turbine.... They are still used in nuclear powered submarines and I suspect in many large ships of the line.

The US did commission one nuclear powered merchant ship, the NS Savannah. I saw it entering the harbor at Rota Spain. Some place I have slides of it. Taking those slides involved .... well, that's a story for another time. I will mention I was standing topsides of a nuc sub, ignoring the commands of armed marines. I felt safe for I was standing next to the CO as we both were busy taking pictures. LOL
FYI
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NS_Savannah

Take some time to read about it. Very interesting read.

Basically it was designed and built to prove it could be done. It was never profitable for many reasons. It was poorly designed to handle its limited cargo and limited number of passengers. The crew demanded pay than union scale. The engineering crew were trained at great expense so maybe they should have been paid more. SHRUG
Old 04-05-2020, 10:20 PM   #63

City: Offshore
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Steam Engine? How old is the ship?

Don’t nuclear ships operate on steam??
Old 04-06-2020, 12:13 AM   #64
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickair View Post
No idea, why don`t you search it and see.
BruceK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 12:47 AM   #65

City: Offshore
OK, here we are:

Nuclear marine propulsion is propulsion of a ship or submarine with heat provided by a nuclear power plant. The power plant heats water to produce steam for a turbine used to turn the ship's propeller through a gearbox or through an electric generator and motor. Naval nuclear propulsion is used specifically within naval warships such as supercarriers. A small number of experimental civil nuclear ships have been built.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nucl...ine_propulsion

Old 04-06-2020, 12:55 AM   #66
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Yes. Saturated steam run through a HP and LP turbine.

Contrary to popular belief, steam still powers a lot of the world by generating electricity.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 02:39 AM   #67
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Aussie ignorance(at least on this issue) may come from our Govt instructing the French submarine builder designing our next subs to delete the standard nuclear powerplant and replace it with diesels. Akin to taking a front engine car, removing the engine and gearbox and installing a horse between the fenders.
BruceK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 02:58 AM   #68
Guru

Talking

Quote:
Yes, another very interesting read.
Makes the time pass when locked in the house.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:15 AM   #69

City: Baltimore, MD
Vessel Name: Starshine
Vessel Model: 1989 Bayliner 3288
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Aussie ignorance(at least on this issue) may come from our Govt instructing the French submarine builder designing our next subs to delete the standard nuclear powerplant and replace it with diesels. Akin to taking a front engine car, removing the engine and gearbox and installing a horse between the fenders.

Did they give an explanation for this decision?

John
johnrupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 07:21 AM   #70
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Regarding submarines: I may be displaying my complete ignorance on the matter BUT I vaguely seem to recall reading that some diesel/electric subs are the quietest boats around. I have no idea if this is true or why it may be but perhaps some sub-mariners can enlighten me of the facts (without giving away ANY classified information).
Old 04-06-2020, 07:21 AM   #71
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrupp View Post
Did they give an explanation for this decision?

John
Some are going to
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air-in...ent_propulsion

Less expensive than nuclear reactors but, more prone to explode They use compressed oxygen for the diesels.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:36 AM   #72

City: Baltimore, MD
Vessel Name: Starshine
Vessel Model: 1989 Bayliner 3288
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Some are going to
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air-in...ent_propulsion

Less expensive than nuclear reactors but, more prone to explode They use compressed oxygen for the diesels.

Interesting read.

John
johnrupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 07:38 AM   #73
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Regarding submarines: I may be displaying my complete ignorance on the matter BUT I vaguely seem to recall reading that some diesel/electric subs are the quietest boats around. I have no idea if this is true or why it may be but perhaps some sub-mariners can enlighten me of the facts (without giving away ANY classified information).
They are constantly making nuc subs quieter. Cant tell you anymore.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:10 AM   #74
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
There are two of these converted tankers in service as USN hospital ships. My last Nvy boss was in charge of overseeing the conversion, and I heard a lot about it as it went along. A truly inspired idea for a large capacity hospital ship. Not certain of the propulsion, but I would think in keeping with the usual practices of the day (1989), it was a diesel powered vessel and remained so in the conversion.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 08:26 AM   #75
Guru

City: Deltaville
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
I do hope it was never used as a tanker. It may have cost more to remove all traces of petroleum than the ship was worth.

Not a thing wrong with a steam turbine.... They are still used in nuclear powered submarines and I suspect in many large ships of the line.

The US did commission one nuclear powered merchant ship, the NS Savannah. I saw it entering the harbor at Rota Spain. Some place I have slides of it. Taking those slides involved .... well, that's a story for another time. I will mention I was standing topsides of a nuc sub, ignoring the commands of armed marines. I felt safe for I was standing next to the CO as we both were busy taking pictures. LOL
FYI
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NS_Savannah

Take some time to read about it. Very interesting read.

Basically it was designed and built to prove it could be done. It was never profitable for many reasons. It was poorly designed to handle its limited cargo and limited number of passengers. The crew demanded pay than union scale. The engineering crew were trained at great expense so maybe they should have been paid more. SHRUG
The US Maritime Administration Reserve Fleet operates some steam turbine vessels, I was aboard one, "SS GOPHER STATE" in Newport News a few months ago.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Gopher_State_(T-ACS-4)

I've also been aboard the NS SAVANNAH (and USNS COMFORT a few years ago), last year. Some photos attached. An amazing piece of history . I'm pretty sure she was never designed to be run at a profit, she was part of Eisenhower's "Atoms for Peace", more waving the nuke flag than commerce, initiative. She is a well-preserved time capsule in many ways. Sadly not open tot he public for now.

While I was aboard I heard some very interesting stories from her curator, in one case they intentionally sailed her into a hurricane off Bermuda because she was a test bed, they wanted to know how she would react. The hydraulics that control the reactor control rods malfunctioned, and scrammed the reactor, so they lost power. The chief engineer restarted it in a fraction of the official time, breaking a bunch of rules in the process. The NRC promptly fired him from that job, then hired him for themselves.
Attached Thumbnails
122018007.jpg   122018008.jpg   122018012.jpg   122018035.jpg   122018052.jpg  

122018122.jpg   122018027.jpg   122018049.jpg   122018092.jpg  
Old 04-06-2020, 09:25 AM   #76
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
The engine room of a steam ship is a work of art IMO.

I also thought these converted tankers were diesels.

Regardless, It’s great to see these two hospital ships deployed. Thank you to the crews and personnel who make it happen.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 07:43 PM   #77
Guru

City: Deltaville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher500 View Post
The engine room of a steam ship is a work of art IMO.

I also thought these converted tankers were diesels.

Regardless, It’s great to see these two hospital ships deployed. Thank you to the crews and personnel who make it happen.
Agreed, if you've never seen it, or haven't seen it recently, watch the movie "Sand Pebbles" with Steve McQueen, the engine room scenes were filmed aboard the USS Olympia, a WWI era battleship. The steam ship used in the movie was actually built for the movie. The propulsion and shipboard details, navy slang and superstition aspects of the movie are very accurate for the era. It's a great book too. Perfect time to do this if you are stuck in.
Old 04-10-2020, 12:49 AM   #78
Guru

City: Anacortes
One of my favorite movies. Think I’ll try the book!
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 08:50 AM   #79
Guru

City: Newark, DE
Vessel Name: Infinity
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DAntonio View Post
I've also been aboard the NS SAVANNAH (and USNS COMFORT a few years ago), last year. Some photos attached. An amazing piece of history . I'm pretty sure she was never designed to be run at a profit, she was part of Eisenhower's "Atoms for Peace", more waving the nuke flag than commerce, initiative. She is a well-preserved time capsule in many ways. Sadly not open tot he public for now.
SAVANNAH hasn't been open to the public generally but for the past few years she has been open for tours around National Maritime Day. A great opportunity if you're in the Baltimore area. You can wander the ship on a self-guided tour and also visit the reactor control room with a docent.

As Steve says, a real time capsule.
danderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 09:23 AM   #80
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DAntonio View Post
The US Maritime Administration Reserve Fleet operates some steam turbine vessels, I was aboard one, "SS GOPHER STATE" in Newport News a few months ago.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Gopher_State_(T-ACS-4)

While I was aboard I heard some very interesting stories from her curator, in one case they intentionally sailed her into a hurricane off Bermuda because she was a test bed, they wanted to know how she would react. The hydraulics that control the reactor control rods malfunctioned, and scrammed the reactor, so they lost power. The chief engineer restarted it in a fraction of the official time, breaking a bunch of rules in the process. The NRC promptly fired him from that job, then hired him for themselves.
Thanks for the post. I would have never known she was still around.

The prettiest commercial vessel ever built. Actually, one of the prettiest ships ever; right up there with SS United States.

When I was a kid, my Dad had the book "Atoms Afloat" about NS Savannah which I read a few times.

Not sure if that unconsciously prompted me to join the Merchant Marine, or naval nuclear power (I did both).
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote