Using a tidal grid for hull inspection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bob Hudspeth

Vessel Name
North Sea
Vessel Make
Rawson
Up here In The Pacific Northwest we have tides that allow for a tidal grid to be used at some marinas for hull inspections and minor maintenance in place of lifts and their associated costs. No bottom cleaning or painting allowed. I have a need to do one minute check-up of a zincs that I am slightly concerned about due to my zinc conditions last year that were way bad by the end of the season.

My question is whether or not anyone has ever used one, and if so was it worth the effort to save the money.

Another question is weather or not anyone has just let the tide go out on a smooth shallow bottom to do a quick look?

Here's Willy on the grid in Thorne Bay Alaska where we lived for 8 years. Sure wish there was one down here in Washington State.

The best grids are high enough so one dos'nt need to lay in the muck to access the hull. The grid in Thorne Bay is. Most of the old grids (everywhere in SE) are wood and closer to the bottom. So work may have to be done on your knees.

One needs to place the hull very carefully on the grid beams so as to put the force of the weight in places that will not damage the hull. I had assumed Willy's keel was straight and the grid beams are. It was slightly curved. When the tide went out the first time 90% of Willy's weight was borne at one spot about in the middle of the keel .. all 8 tons in one spot. The Willard boat suffered not at all but if she had been an old wood boat I'd have been pounding wedges under the keel in two places further out to take some of the weight.

Ideally one would ballast the boat so she listed a bit toward the dock or pilings. I think all grids are sloped so you probably be stuck tying off to one side. Willy had a very slight list to port so was ideal w/o ballast. You can let her settle on her keel a few inches away from the pilings and pull her over w mooring lines. Or just hope your lines, cleats, decks ect are strong enough to take the strain on an outboard list.

Timing is an issue. Many times I had to come down to the grid in the middle of the night and in AK in the winter it was not pleasant w rain/snow and a little flashlight. You need to be there the moment the tide puts your boat on the grid and the moment she floats. Damage and danger to one's self are real. I would always be on board well before the moment of floating or grounding and things happen quickly. Especially grounding or settling on the grid beams. You think the boat will lean and settle on this piling and in fact another piling contacts first as the boat is slight yawing at the moment when it all happens. One should have extra lines ready for surprises but almost always all goes well.

Time to work on the boat doing what needs to be done is frequently an issue too. We had big Alaska tides that was very beneficial but sometimes the right tide time is in the middle of the night. The hardware store is closed and you may not have time to go get tools ect. Don't drop your keys in the muck or fall down in it either. A lot can go wrong but almost always all goes well especially if you plan well.

Bob you say you're from Eatonville. Very few people will know where that is. Indicating what state or country Eatonville is in frequently is helpful while posting and shouldn't be a security risk to anyone. The content of our posts is frequently relevant to where one lives.

Attachments

• all to 12-15-09 396 copy 4.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 396 copy 4.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Bob you say you're from Eatonville. Very few people will know where that is. Indicating what state or country Eatonville is in frequently is helpful while posting and shouldn't be a security risk to anyone. The content of our posts is frequently relevant to where one lives.

Eatonville, named after the Van Eaton family if I recall. Small town in rural western WA in the shadow of Mt Rainier.

Tidal grids are great Bob but they are getting harder to find. I am still upset that my Yacht Club decided to let their tidal grid deteriorate. I think it was largely for two reasons. EPA regs that prohibited bottom work such as sanding, painting, cleaning ect... and concerns about liability.

A tidal grid would be great for small things such as zinc replacement and inspection. As was pointed out, you do have to be careful. But if we could do it with sailboats with fin keels, a trawler hull should be a piece of cake. The trick is finding one.

If you just want your zincs inspeccted etc... I would recommend a dive service. It isn't all that expensive and they will clean your hull, inspect and replace your zincs, and you don't have to haul your boat to do it. I have a diver clean my hull every 3 months.

Are there tidal grids in Washington anymore? I seem to remember one over on Hat Island as a kid. Guys would haul ass to get the bottom painted before the tide came in.

The last grid I remember was in lower Eby Slough st Marysville WA. I's long gone now.

No I don't know of any in WA. Many in BC though and all over in SE AK.

Too many people.

Thank you Max for listing your state. I'm not pick'in on Bob. I'm pick'in on everybody that lists little towns or cities that many or most wo'nt have a clue where they are. You don't know if the person's fron Alabama or Albainia. I think when you registar you should be required to list state or country.

Last edited:
We use the tidal grid at our club and find that it is a relatively easy process, though I would find someone familiar with their use the first time you put your boat on it.

The savings for getting the zincs changed is substantial. The only real concern I had was making sure we did not end up with prop shafts on the bunks, but we relied on the sling marks and it went perfectly. Surprisingly easy.

Thanks for the information. The Port of Poulsbo operates a grid. It costs $50.00 for non-tenants. It sounds l like it may be something I want to try. If nothing else, it is another tool in the tool box.

Thanks for the information. The Port of Poulsbo operates a grid. It costs $50.00 for non-tenants. It sounds l like it may be something I want to try. If nothing else, it is another tool in the tool box.

Good to know. Poulsbo ia a nice place to go for a weekend anyway. Compare the $50 to the cost of a diver though. When you factor in time and a small amount of risk, the diver might be a good option.

I'd love to use a tidal grid, but I've gone the scuba route. Scrape my prop and running gear once a year, and check zincs twice a year. Makes me keep my gear in working order and inspected, and saves a ton of money - $6 for a fill and I can be under for over an hour (at 4-5')

Good to know. Poulsbo ia a nice place to go for a weekend anyway. Compare the $50 to the cost of a diver though. When you factor in time and a small amount of risk, the diver might be a good option.

This.

I used to pay for a diver, but then spent some time crawling craigslist for gear and ended up getting two full sets for just a couple hundred bucks. It's paid for itself many times over.

Usually when I get out my gear now, I ask people on the dock if I can check anything for them -- strangely nobody ever takes me up on the offer.

Eric has you covered really well and the only thing I can add is in the planning, consider how you will get on and off when the tide is out. Note the ladder in Eric's picture. Not all grids have them or they may not be in the right place for your boat.

Also, if planning to use a portable ladder on the outward side, be aware of the bunk spacing and slipperiness for solid footing of the ladder.

Hard sand and a few pilings worked fine for my sailboat.

Hello Low N Slow 77

My name is Mark and I saw your posting on using a tidal grid at your club in North Vancouver. I am a member ( or will be in the next few days) of the False Creek Yacht Club and am looking for a place where I can careen my Nordic Tug 32 & do some basic work when the tide goes out ( mostly replace zincs, esp the ones for the bow thruster)/

Can you advise on whether I might be able to charter your club's grid in the near future?

Mark Schneider

Valiant skipper,

My understanding is that the tidal grid in North Vancouver is restricted to members. I doubt that they would have spare bookings available in any event. I have to book months in advance to get a spot.

Re Tidal Grids

Thanks LowNSlow.

Used to be there was a tidal grid at many of the government wharves up and down the BC coast. There was never any line up - it was a dirty job, what with the mud & sand fleas, and the only pressure was the time between tides, and whether the bottom paint would stick to a spongy wood hull!

Now it's a treasured resource at yacht clubs with long waiting lists! How times change!

Here is the grid at Ladysmith:

xwest-wind.jpg.pagespeed.ic.DaNw_OUrQ9.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom