Old 06-22-2019, 02:48 PM   #1

City: Yelm, WA
Vessel Name: "Convergence"
Vessel Model: Camano Troll
Used Oil

I've run into an interesting problem. For decades, I've saved my used motor oil in 55 gallon drums. Used to be, if you had 200 gallons, the distributors would actually come, drain the barrels and pay you. Not a lot, but enough. Then about ten years ago, they stopped paying, but would still come and pump the barrels....for free.

I began calling around a week or so ago, and holy buckets...I'm being quoted upwards of 700 bucks to come and pump the barrels. I've even offered to deliver the barrels, but no luck.

Its funny that if you have 5 gallons or less, lots of places will take it, but not if you have it by the barrel.

So, any thoughts about who might want a bunch of oil? I put an add on Craigs List to see if any of the guys with oil burning heaters wanted it....but no luck so far. I'm certainly not interested in dumping it all in to 5 gallon jugs and stopping at O'Reiley's every day on the way home from work.

Hell...I'm a democrat in a liberal state and you'd think all the government folks would be waiting in line to hug me for being in favor of and practicing conservation....but nah...
"Satisfaction"
ctjstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 04:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Tuna Fin Ity
Vessel Model: CHB Royal Star Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctjstr View Post
I've run into an interesting problem. For decades, I've saved my used motor oil in 55 gallon drums. Used to be, if you had 200 gallons, the distributors would actually come, drain the barrels and pay you. Not a lot, but enough. Then about ten years ago, they stopped paying, but would still come and pump the barrels....for free.

I began calling around a week or so ago, and holy buckets...I'm being quoted upwards of 700 bucks to come and pump the barrels. I've even offered to deliver the barrels, but no luck.

Its funny that if you have 5 gallons or less, lots of places will take it, but not if you have it by the barrel.

So, any thoughts about who might want a bunch of oil? I put an add on Craigs List to see if any of the guys with oil burning heaters wanted it....but no luck so far. I'm certainly not interested in dumping it all in to 5 gallon jugs and stopping at O'Reiley's every day on the way home from work.

Hell...I'm a democrat in a liberal state and you'd think all the government folks would be waiting in line to hug me for being in favor of and practicing conservation....but nah...
There must not be a market for re-refined oil these days.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 04:07 PM   #3

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Carousel
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788 (1998)
My experience has been more on the commercial side. Waste oil is now considered hazardous waste that might have unknown chemicals in it. As a result when I had to get rid of a 55 gallon drum of waste oil it has to be analyse for its contents and processed depending on what was found. I'm now of the belief to get rid of stuff as soon as possible before someone finds a way to tax it. Remember when you could toss an old computer mouse in the trash? Now there is a charge to get rid of it.
NWSeadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 04:39 PM   #4
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
It's a shame, some places like where I used to work heated their workshops with used oil.

See if there is any used oil heating system dealers in your area and might provide a customer's name or two.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 04:41 PM   #5
Guru

City: Huntersville NC
Vessel Name: Abeona
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 47’ Sundeck
Build a waste oil furnace for your garage or shop or whatevs.
Steve91T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 04:45 PM   #6
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctjstr View Post

I was going to equate, “democrat in a liberal state” to the problem you’re having, but I won’t go there!

NWSeadog has it right. Disposal facilities assume your drum is full of unknown hazardous waste other than used engine oil. Therefore, it needs extensive analysis and a report from a certified analytical laboratory. Hence the high cost. Dispose of your used oil slowly to avoid charges.

I’m in the business of cleaning up hazmat spills caused by the trucking and transportation industry. So don’t make fun of my livelihood !

Just the other day, the news on TV reported the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles, that have been an active oil seep for thousands of years, was acting up. Seems that oil and asphalt is seeping up in an adjacent parking lot across the street from the tar pits. Los Angeles County Department of Health tells us to “move along”, the petroleum oil and natural asphalt is harmless.

The same health department orders our clients to remediate the same material to very difficult-to-achieve standards!

Follow the dollars...
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 04:53 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
One of the boat repair shops loves to get it since they have a oil heater for the winters. He said they go through about 30 to 40 drums a winter. We have about 13 gallons per oil change for the boat plus tractor, snow blower and misc things. So it is really great to have a disposal place other than Checker Auto Parts.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 06:50 PM   #8
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
Many larger farmers use waste oil heaters. Try a farm publication like The Capitol Press. Or Craig's List in Eastern Washington. Buy a waste oil heater.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 07:03 PM   #9
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Doesn't your local county have a recycling location. They take used motor oil albeit not a lot of it for free. You might be able to work out a good time to take it there for a small fee.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 07:17 PM   #10
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Aren’t there anymore re-refiners?

When I worked in a diesel electric powerhouse we had a refiner machine. A lot of heat and filtration. We retrieved about 70% of the oil. The freight cost to barge and then fly the last 100 miles was expensive. We received 55gal barrels on a DC-3.

In Seattle we’d buy re-refined oil about half the price of the cheapest new oil at Al’s Auto supply. This was the late 50’s.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 07:52 PM   #11
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I think you need to look at this from a practical standpoint. A 55 gallon drum of oil is over 400 pounds. You're probably not moving it by yourself, and if you try and there is a spill, I think that's a death penalty offence in Washington state. It sound to me that waste oil consumers pay little or nothing for what is now a hazardous product. As such they're probably not going to want to go through much effort to move your drums.
So, reality is that you'll probably have to draw it off into 5 gallon pails and move it yourself, or pay. Make your choice and get on with it before the state puts a disposal tax on waste oil.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 07:59 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I keep 3 5 gallon used oil cans so I can get it to the disposal fairly easy. I agree with Ted, get 3 or 4 5 gallon cans and take it to Checkers or whatever you have there.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 10:26 PM   #13
Guru

City: SchoolHouse Branch
Oil Pirates. What we called oil recyclers thirty years ago. Call them back and ask about buying some waste motor oil. Hypocrites, oil pirates.

Oil has been in ground for eons and doesn't change THAT much, used oil is more like crude than unlike, still oil.

Distillation towers are fun. The height in the tower correlates to the specific gravity of the vaporized oil, given temperature, pressure. Different products are taken off at different heights.

The whole world of recycling is changing, not just oil. Needs to change a lot more, quickly.

Plastic is petroleum too. Bury it in a landfill??? Gotta be kidding me. Make a huge plastic (petroleum) island in the middle of the Pacific. Come on???
Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 10:54 PM   #14
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I won’t buy motor oil anyplace that won’t take my used oil.

This has kind of snuck up on the OP. I think you are stuck with having to dispose of it in small portions. I’d find a place that sells oil and ill also take your used oil. Drop 5 gallons off at a time.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 10:58 PM   #15
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Start calling your local auto repair shops. Almost every one of them in Washington burn waste oil for heat. Most of them could use an extra 55 gallon drum.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 05:37 AM   #16
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Florida and Maryland where my homes are, both accept waste oil at the recycling centers. Think they both will give you grief over the 55 gallon drums from a handling standpoint and that you may be commercial. I like Lee county in FL. They accept anything they don't want in the landfill, assuming you will otherwise just throw it in your trash.

When I did the Great Loop, found many marinas where getting rid of used oil was a problem. Discovered that all Walmarts accept waste oil.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 05:50 AM   #17

City: Hervey Bay QLD
Vessel Name: Moana
Vessel Model: 1996 M40 Riviera aft cab
When I did the loop, found any of the Marinas that stored boats in winter, were very happy to take my waste oil.
auskiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 07:20 AM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
Start calling your local auto repair shops. Almost every one of them in Washington burn waste oil for heat. Most of them could use an extra 55 gallon drum.
You should be able to find a shop that will take it.
My son has a big auto repair shop in Ct and had 2 custom 1200 gallon tanks built and installed in his facility for waste oil. He has burned nothing but waste oil for almost 20 years.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 08:14 AM   #19
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
I've never had a problem getting rid of used oil in small containers in BC and Alaska. Suggest abandoning your 55 g drum use and stick with small sizes. Most Jiffy Lubs will take it.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 08:22 AM   #20
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I use those 2.5gal oil jugs to get rid of oil. Can carry two easily and they pour easily as well. If I need more jugs, I just buy some Rotella in 2.5gal. Local Advance Auto takes it no charge here in NC.

55gal drum of old oil is a PITA to deal with.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote