Old 11-16-2020, 01:20 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Niceville FL
Vessel Name: Happy Happy
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3888 1989 gas
Used Generators

All
I have a bayliner 3888 with 2 A/C units. The generator I have is a an OLD oden. I have thrown about 1K at it sense we bought the boat last January. It has run 3 times, survey and we got it going two other times. But after 3 mechanics the last guy didn't charge me and said the best thing I could do was replace it. It so old cant get parts and he said this model had issues leaking CO2.

Question is what size and brand would you smart folks suggest and second where could we look for one? The boat is in Niceville FL if that help with the where we can find one..

Trying to find a used or rebuilt..

As always thanks for the guidance and support...

Mike and the Admiral Karen
Mike3888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 01:43 PM   #2
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
Look on Boats & Harbors for Northern Lights....... it would help to know what KW you need.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 01:58 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
It looks like he has a gas powered boat. Does NL make gas gensets? If so they would be a good unit.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 02:02 PM   #4
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
With two A/Cs which each will take 15 amps or 3.6 kW total, I would go with a 7.5-8 kW model. That will give you enough power to run the ACs, battery charger and microwave, but not much more simultaneously.

Many people add up ALL of their potential AC loads and size their genset to run all at the same time. That is a mistake because it results in a very big genset that may be under loaded most of the time. Add all loads that need to be run simultaneously and maybe a little more. Then manage them to stay within that limit. A panel mounted AC ammeter is critical to make that happen.

Also I presume you currently have 50A 220/110V shore power and your transfer switch handles both legs of the 220V.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 02:53 PM   #5
Guru

City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pacific Myst
Vessel Model: West Bay 4500
A quick search here https://www.nauticexpo.com/cat/water...s-IB-1573.html turns up Cummins and Kohler gasoline gen sets. And here https://www.westerbeke.com/low-coefi...generators.htm Westerbeke. There may be other manufacturers as well.

OP is looking to purchase used however the above links will give him something to search for. In addition to Boats n Harbors mentioned above don't forget Craigslist and Ebay. Especially when searching for used older gear.
Old 11-17-2020, 07:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
With two A/Cs which each will take 15 amps or 3.6 kW total, I would go with a 7.5-8 kW model. That will give you enough power to run the ACs, battery charger and microwave, but not much more simultaneously.

Many people add up ALL of their potential AC loads and size their genset to run all at the same time. That is a mistake because it results in a very big genset that may be under loaded most of the time. Add all loads that need to be run simultaneously and maybe a little more. Then manage them to stay within that limit. A panel mounted AC ammeter is critical to make that happen.

Also I presume you currently have 50A 220/110V shore power and your transfer switch handles both legs of the 220V.

David
Davis she is 2 30 Amp 110 no 220.. thank you much for the input!
Old 11-17-2020, 07:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike3888 View Post
Davis she is 2 30 Amp 110 no 220.. thank you much for the input!
Well, that is good to know. With 2*30*110= 6.6 kw for shore power you don't need any more than a 7-8 kW genset and you could probably get by with 5.5-6 kW.

David
Old 11-17-2020, 08:02 AM   #8
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
ebay often has used generator sets from Florida.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:22 AM   #9
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
ebay often has used generator sets from Florida.
Check with Sailorman in Ft Lauderdale. He sometimes has used generators on his lot. If you go there, take a sandwich because you have lots to look at.
Old 11-17-2020, 08:37 AM   #10
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. OD. "...lots to look at." Particularly in the new store. Hours of fun and amusement for the whole family...
Old 11-17-2020, 08:52 AM   #11

City: Punta Gorda, Fl
Vessel Name: Pipe Dream
Vessel Model: Silverton 42C
I could agree with having a minimal sized unit and managing power loads if the boat were a full time home. Our sport fish was a vacation home for us and I was never so happy as when I ditched our 8.5kw OEM unit for a 12 kw. With 2 a/c's, fridge, bait freezer, ice maker, on demand water heater, water maker, electric range, microwave, toaster and hair dryer to deal with, my life was a constant negotiation for power. For a vacation home, bigger is better so that folks use what the want when they want. Even under loaded mine outlasted the ownership of the boat.
PPandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 09:01 AM   #12
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. OD. "...lots to look at." Particularly in the new store. Hours of fun and amusement for the whole family...
And you can talk with the parrot too. Just dont put your fingers in the cage, the parrot does not like that and will defend its territory with its beak. You have been warned. LOL
Old 11-17-2020, 12:38 PM   #13
Veteran Member

As always thank you for your input and guidance. I has some calls in on new generators (think they are going to be pricey) I will call Sailorman in Ft Lauderdale tomorrow.
Mike and The Admiral Karen
Old 11-17-2020, 02:14 PM   #14
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM View Post

David
I agree. But remember, he is gas. And an underloaded gasoline engine is not as big of a deal as an underloaded diesel engine. I know it is difficult to get out of that mindset....
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 03:30 PM   #15

Yes you are right, gasoline engines can tolerate significant under loading from a mechanical perspective. But they are horribly inefficient running under loaded.

I am looking at the specs on the gasoline genset that comes with the motorhome I have on order. It burns 0.3 gph at no load and 0.5 gph at half load. Part of that is running at 3,600 rpm even at no load. Inverter generators which Onan is finally making for RVs do much better at part loadings than 3,600 rpm engines. And did I mention they are quieter.

Don't expect marine versons any time soon though.

David
Old 11-17-2020, 04:03 PM   #16

City: Marathon, FL & On Loop
Vessel Name: Maka Honu
Vessel Model: Ta Yang, 42 Tayana PH Trawler 1976
I would start with boat load survey based on your total anticipated power needs and see what you need overall before you buy any genset used or new. You may find the house is undersized and needs added capacity for your needs ( live aboard vs weekender)
bgillroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 09:57 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
First I’ve never heard of a 38’ Bayliner with gas engines.

OEM the older ones came with Mitsubishi or Cummins 555 engines before Bayliner switched over to Hino engines which have proven over time to be almost indestructible.

Thats not to say someone didn’t put gassers in the boat at some point though.

As far as generator size the larger Bayliners came with either a 8KW generator for boats without AC or a 12KW unit for boats with AC.

Since the OP has AC I’d go with a 12KW unit, pick your poison as far as brand. It’s not like it’s a really critical number, just make sure its big enough for the AC loads and make sure it gets loaded up some when not running the AC.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 12:46 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Yes they made them in the 32 and the 38 iif I remember correctly.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 01:47 AM   #19

City: Edmonton area/Nanaimo BC
Vessel Name: Soul Fisher
Vessel Model: Palmer
I have a few used gensets rated at 6kw. They run the D1105 Kubota at 1800 rpm. The engine is rated at 12.6 kw at 1800 so they have good starting current. These units are well maintained and have 4,000 to 10,000 hrs so are in excellent condition. The life of these units is usually 20-30,000 hrs. They come with control panel and usually have 110 and 220 twist lock receptacles. Only problem we are on opposite ends of the continent.
Transaxial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 07:14 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Yes this Bayliner 3888 came with original gas 351 us marine engines.

How would I conduct a boat load survey? we have 2 A/C units, a water heater, stove fridge and 3 small electric heaters. All the lights have been changed over to LED..

Thanks Much!
Mike and the Admiral Karen