Used Generators

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike3888

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Happy Happy
Vessel Make
Bayliner 3888 1989 gas
All
I have a bayliner 3888 with 2 A/C units. The generator I have is a an OLD oden. I have thrown about 1K at it sense we bought the boat last January. It has run 3 times, survey and we got it going two other times. But after 3 mechanics the last guy didn't charge me and said the best thing I could do was replace it. It so old cant get parts and he said this model had issues leaking CO2.

Question is what size and brand would you smart folks suggest and second where could we look for one? The boat is in Niceville FL if that help with the where we can find one..

Trying to find a used or rebuilt..

As always thanks for the guidance and support...

Mike and the Admiral Karen

Look on Boats & Harbors for Northern Lights....... it would help to know what KW you need.

It looks like he has a gas powered boat. Does NL make gas gensets? If so they would be a good unit.

With two A/Cs which each will take 15 amps or 3.6 kW total, I would go with a 7.5-8 kW model. That will give you enough power to run the ACs, battery charger and microwave, but not much more simultaneously.

Many people add up ALL of their potential AC loads and size their genset to run all at the same time. That is a mistake because it results in a very big genset that may be under loaded most of the time. Add all loads that need to be run simultaneously and maybe a little more. Then manage them to stay within that limit. A panel mounted AC ammeter is critical to make that happen.

Also I presume you currently have 50A 220/110V shore power and your transfer switch handles both legs of the 220V.

David

A quick search here https://www.nauticexpo.com/cat/water-electricity/gasoline-generator-sets-boats-IB-1573.html turns up Cummins and Kohler gasoline gen sets. And here https://www.westerbeke.com/low-coefigasolinegenerators.htm Westerbeke. There may be other manufacturers as well.

OP is looking to purchase used however the above links will give him something to search for. In addition to Boats n Harbors mentioned above don't forget Craigslist and Ebay. Especially when searching for used older gear.

With two A/Cs which each will take 15 amps or 3.6 kW total, I would go with a 7.5-8 kW model. That will give you enough power to run the ACs, battery charger and microwave, but not much more simultaneously.

Many people add up ALL of their potential AC loads and size their genset to run all at the same time. That is a mistake because it results in a very big genset that may be under loaded most of the time. Add all loads that need to be run simultaneously and maybe a little more. Then manage them to stay within that limit. A panel mounted AC ammeter is critical to make that happen.

Also I presume you currently have 50A 220/110V shore power and your transfer switch handles both legs of the 220V.

David

Davis she is 2 30 Amp 110 no 220.. thank you much for the input!

Davis she is 2 30 Amp 110 no 220.. thank you much for the input!

Well, that is good to know. With 2*30*110= 6.6 kw for shore power you don't need any more than a 7-8 kW genset and you could probably get by with 5.5-6 kW.

David

ebay often has used generator sets from Florida.

ebay often has used generator sets from Florida.

Check with Sailorman in Ft Lauderdale. He sometimes has used generators on his lot. If you go there, take a sandwich because you have lots to look at.

Greetings,
Mr. OD. "...lots to look at." Particularly in the new store. Hours of fun and amusement for the whole family...

I could agree with having a minimal sized unit and managing power loads if the boat were a full time home. Our sport fish was a vacation home for us and I was never so happy as when I ditched our 8.5kw OEM unit for a 12 kw. With 2 a/c's, fridge, bait freezer, ice maker, on demand water heater, water maker, electric range, microwave, toaster and hair dryer to deal with, my life was a constant negotiation for power. For a vacation home, bigger is better so that folks use what the want when they want. Even under loaded mine outlasted the ownership of the boat.

Greetings,
Mr. OD. "...lots to look at." Particularly in the new store. Hours of fun and amusement for the whole family...

And you can talk with the parrot too. Just dont put your fingers in the cage, the parrot does not like that and will defend its territory with its beak. You have been warned. LOL

As always thank you for your input and guidance. I has some calls in on new generators (think they are going to be pricey) I will call Sailorman in Ft Lauderdale tomorrow.
Mike and The Admiral Karen

David

I agree. But remember, he is gas. And an underloaded gasoline engine is not as big of a deal as an underloaded diesel engine. I know it is difficult to get out of that mindset....;)

Yes you are right, gasoline engines can tolerate significant under loading from a mechanical perspective. But they are horribly inefficient running under loaded.

I am looking at the specs on the gasoline genset that comes with the motorhome I have on order. It burns 0.3 gph at no load and 0.5 gph at half load. Part of that is running at 3,600 rpm even at no load. Inverter generators which Onan is finally making for RVs do much better at part loadings than 3,600 rpm engines. And did I mention they are quieter.

Don't expect marine versons any time soon though.

David

I would start with boat load survey based on your total anticipated power needs and see what you need overall before you buy any genset used or new. You may find the house is undersized and needs added capacity for your needs ( live aboard vs weekender)

First I’ve never heard of a 38’ Bayliner with gas engines.

OEM the older ones came with Mitsubishi or Cummins 555 engines before Bayliner switched over to Hino engines which have proven over time to be almost indestructible.

Thats not to say someone didn’t put gassers in the boat at some point though.

As far as generator size the larger Bayliners came with either a 8KW generator for boats without AC or a 12KW unit for boats with AC.

Since the OP has AC I’d go with a 12KW unit, pick your poison as far as brand. It’s not like it’s a really critical number, just make sure its big enough for the AC loads and make sure it gets loaded up some when not running the AC.

Yes they made them in the 32 and the 38 iif I remember correctly.

I have a few used gensets rated at 6kw. They run the D1105 Kubota at 1800 rpm. The engine is rated at 12.6 kw at 1800 so they have good starting current. These units are well maintained and have 4,000 to 10,000 hrs so are in excellent condition. The life of these units is usually 20-30,000 hrs. They come with control panel and usually have 110 and 220 twist lock receptacles. Only problem we are on opposite ends of the continent.

Yes this Bayliner 3888 came with original gas 351 us marine engines.

How would I conduct a boat load survey? we have 2 A/C units, a water heater, stove fridge and 3 small electric heaters. All the lights have been changed over to LED..

Thanks Much!

Yes this Bayliner 3888 came with original gas 351 us marine engines.
How would I conduct a boat load survey? we have 2 A/C units, a water heater, stove fridge and 3 small electric heaters. All the lights have been changed over to LED..
Thanks Much!

You want to run everything underway?

Tell us about your shore power cables, 2 30amp? 2 50amp?
Your fridge is 120vt? (mine is 12vt)
Do you have engine coolant loop to heat the HW?
How many house batteries? Size?
Do you have an inverter? Size?
A/Cs size of each?
The 3 electric heaters? Dont see running them with everything else.

Without getting too detailed, best guess, I'd say a 12KW gen will give you some good options.
You may still have to shed some loads, watch your amp meter.

In my case, cooking breakfast, 2 burners, the first load I shed is the HW heater, if I am at the dock. If I need the micro wave, shut the stove down. Underway I can turn HW heater off and use the engine coolant loop to heat the HW. BIG savings.

I have 2 installed resistance heaters. 8KWgen, turn the 2 heaters on and hope, shut the HW heater off. (electric stove is off, no microwave) I am, as I recall, still at the max capacity of my generator.

You may have to/want to install 'soft starts' on your A/Cs.

There is a difference between the math and reality.

Last edited:
Wow, where to start, we have 2 30 Amp into the boat but it is run off of a single 50 amp split from the pedestal. the a/c's are 14000 BTU 110 units. HW heater is straight electric, no loop. Stove we very seldom use unless at the dock. Fridge is 110. Have 4 12 volt house batteries (the inverter has a mind of its own and works some times). We are in FL so very rarely run even one of the heaters. I think the generator that is in it is a 7.5 KW. I wish I knew more about electricity, smoke and mirrors to me. Just know it hurts if you do the wring thing...

Oh NO we might run an AC and keep the fridge cool underway but that is about it...

Oh NO we might run an AC and keep the fridge cool underway but that is about it...

Mike, you, like me, will soon understand the phrase "load shedding". I went so far as to have an additional AMP meter (with shunt) as to catch my eye while I am cooking. Watch for cycling loads. The oven, when the element is on, draws about 20amps. One stove burner draws about 10 amp and the microwave 15amp. So you see the challenge when cooking a Thanksgiving dinner. Yes, it can be done. Yes, it can be done but, you shed and restart loads as necessary and dont be surprised if the boat goes 'dark' while on the generator. Turns out, cooking on a 30amp boat is like a ballet, breaker OFF then ON, redo as necessary. LOL And that is ignoring ANY HW heating, A/C usage and in your case, your 120vt fridge.

I have found my little $40.00 propane coleman works great and does not require any electricity..lol

I have found my little $40.00 propane coleman works great and does not require any electricity..lol

And I have a LP grill at the stern too. SMILE
That is for cooking stuff that will stink up the boat.

New and rebuilt

In Florida. Predominantly gas generators. www.boatenergy.com they run statewide ads on Craigslist with pics,models and info.

I pulled my Kohler 5 E last year , Seized , Port Engine was out un related giving me access too generator , My boating is day , returning too marina with dockside for A/C . When generator was operating would start , let it run but ran like crap , carbon fumes was worse then if I ran a unsafe portable on deck
3000 watt power inverter make coffee , run tv , micro , ran everything except a/c ,
Doing some research on rebuilding but after rebuilding 2 gas engines I saw no purpose spending more money for a unit I would not use .
Once in a while a used comes up but slim pickings
New is costly , double rebuilt pricing plus install
Found two generator rebuilders , in Fl were I reside , One was Ft Lauderdale , Something Energy out of Fl Lauderdale , They offer rebuilt all set too go for $ 6000 with a warranty, Swap
They run a lot of CL adds ,
Other guy I found on UTUBE , one man shop out of Clearwater area ,
First name is Darryl , goes by the business name ELLI something , spoken with him , He rebuilds generators , Many ship too him , he rebuilds , ships back
He said total rebuild is around $ 5000 grand , Could be less if items are OK
We all know about the deadly fumes generators omit , many choose too go portable for the rare use , If your going too use one all the time and a live a board or do a lot of cruising then a working generator is a must

All sorry for the delayed response, it when to spam?
Thanks much I check these sites out.
Mike

Yes they made them in the 32 and the 38 iif I remember correctly.

Absolutely a good memory...not only did Bayliner put gas engines in some 32's and 38's but they put gas in much larger boats as well up to and including the 4588 Pilothouse.

Back
Top Bottom