Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-15-2018, 07:14 AM   #61
Guru
 
Seevee's Avatar
 
City: st pete
Country: usa
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 2,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
My purpose to boat is to escape the insanity. (No reflection on the election night.) Have no TV onboard, and only one TV at the dirt home and no reason to apologize for same..
Mark,

Well some folks escape from insanity IS to watch TV. Not mine, but don't mind a TV on board. It has no reflection of what I need to escape insanity, nor does it have anything to do with the quality or maintenance of the boat.

My absolute best escape is windsurfing, nothing but a board and sail and life jacket (suit optional). Sometimes one needs to escape the insanity of boating.

To each his own.
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
Seevee
Seevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:40 AM   #62
Guru
 
caltexflanc's Avatar
 
City: North Carolina for now
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,231
Again, depends on if the boat is a day/weekend/vacation item or a full time home. Ruling a boat out because it was someone's full time domicile, and equipped accordingly, seems awfully silly to me.
__________________

__________________
George

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:00 AM   #63
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Country: Bumpkin?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 14,417
Greetings,
"...because it was someone's full time domicile...seems awfully silly to me." I agree 100%. EVERY boat is a compromise either in layout or condition. As has been mentioned, you may have to up your $$ limit to find your boat.

At the $$ point you are looking at there will be far fewer vessels available in the condition you are willing to accept. Rather than getting frustrated, try to focus on what YOU can do with a messy boat with the right layout.
__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:41 AM   #64
Veteran Member
 
CaptRonn's Avatar
 
City: Houston
Country: USA
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
Caption,

that kind of seller is not motivated. You want the guy that is, regardless of clean or dirty... but dirty (not horribly so), but just not cleaned up well with a motivated seller smells discount.

Also, nice smells also include:
Owners that are tired of making slip payments, or
Owners that have two boats, or
Owners that need to move to be with their mistress, or
Owners that need to sell to have the money to feed their kids.....
Or like Donna did, Owners that are dead... generally estates want to get rid of stuff and don't want to dicker.
Then go seek out one of those "jewels".

For me, a nasty, filthy unmaintained boat is a deal killer.

And the point of the OP was commenting on how badly owners present their boats when trying to sell them. It's marketing 101, good quality photos, and lots of them make a difference in attracting potential customers. Same goes with a clean and uncluttered boat.
CaptRonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:22 AM   #65
Guru
 
City: Northport
Country: USA
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRonn View Post
Then go seek out one of those "jewels".

For me, a nasty, filthy unmaintained boat is a deal killer.

And the point of the OP was commenting on how badly owners present their boats when trying to sell them. It's marketing 101, good quality photos, and lots of them make a difference in attracting potential customers. Same goes with a clean and uncluttered boat.
"Then go seek out one of those "jewels""

FWIW - I have been successful seeking out SeeVee's types of jewels on my last 4 boats. They all turned out to be really great boats and very good deals.
Real boats real examples....
1. Successful business man who lost interest in his open checkbook baby and had his brother in law living on it.
2. Struggling business person who left the boat on the hard 2 years under a gypsum belt on the Hudson - a wonderful boat.
3. Retired Sheriff who hardly used the boat but had his daughter living on the boat during the sales process.
4. Bought a 'toy' from a very well off Business person whos factory was in PR and home in Fla. The boat had minor damage from towing but his reps were too lazy to fix it or even clean the boat.

All great boats - all really good deals - 3 of them had multiple TV's in them as well.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:28 AM   #66
Senior Member
 
City: Rapid City, SD heading back to the PNW
Country: USA
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 212
After reading this thread, it is my opinion that there are those that have the ability and the want to take on a project boat, and those who ether do not have the skill set or the want to take on that project.
If you have the skill set and the want, you will be getting a boat that in the end is YOUR boat.
Otherwise IMHO it will just be a boat you own.
mramoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:30 AM   #67
Guru
 
Donna's Avatar
 
City: Palm Coast
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,176
What is the obsession with a television? It has been mentioned in a couple of threads now by the OP.
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:31 AM   #68
Veteran Member
 
CaptRonn's Avatar
 
City: Houston
Country: USA
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty477 View Post
"Then go seek out one of those "jewels""

FWIW - I have been successful seeking out SeeVee's types of jewels on my last 4 boats. They all turned out to be really great boats and very good deals.
Real boats real examples....
1. Successful business man who lost interest in his open checkbook baby and had his brother in law living on it.
2. Struggling business person who left the boat on the hard 2 years under a gypsum belt on the Hudson - a wonderful boat.
3. Retired Sheriff who hardly used the boat but had his daughter living on the boat during the sales process.
4. Bought a 'toy' from a very well off Business person whos factory was in PR and home in Fla. The boat had minor damage from towing but his reps were too lazy to fix it or even clean the boat.

All great boats - all really good deals - 3 of them had multiple TV's in them as well.
Again, go back and read the OP of this thread, it's about presentation of a boat for sale. Simple Marketing 101.
CaptRonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:35 AM   #69
Guru
 
Donna's Avatar
 
City: Palm Coast
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,176
Actually I think all of the OP’s threads have been about tv’s. Hmm, kinda ironic.
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:44 AM   #70
Guru
 
City: Northport
Country: USA
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRonn View Post
Again, go back and read the OP of this thread, it's about presentation of a boat for sale. Simple Marketing 101.
All four boats were dirty and were presented poorly....
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:47 AM   #71
Veteran Member
 
CaptRonn's Avatar
 
City: Houston
Country: USA
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty477 View Post
All four boats were dirty and were presented poorly....


When selling your boats, do you leave them filthy and cluttered?
CaptRonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:02 AM   #72
Guru
 
City: Northport
Country: USA
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRonn View Post


When selling your boats, do you leave them filthy and cluttered?
No - this thread is about purchasing boats not selling boats. That is what my posts are about - purchasing boats.

"For me, a nasty, filthy unmaintained boat is a deal killer."

FWIW - you would have missed out on all four of my last boats purchased with this 'rule' in place.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:14 AM   #73
Veteran Member
 
CaptRonn's Avatar
 
City: Houston
Country: USA
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty477 View Post
No - this thread is about purchasing boats not selling boats. That is what my posts are about - purchasing boats.

"For me, a nasty, filthy unmaintained boat is a deal killer."

FWIW - you would have missed out on all four of my last boats purchased with this 'rule' in place.
So you like crappy boats when you buy....good for you.

As far as my rules are concerned, they apply for me, and I'm good with that.
CaptRonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:20 AM   #74
Guru
 
City: Northport
Country: USA
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRonn View Post
So you like crappy boats when you buy....good for you.

As far as my rules are concerned, they apply for me, and I'm good with that.
Please read the posts - they are not crappy boats they are great boats that have been neglected for short periods of time. Low hours with great engines and a bit of dirt with maybe a few things needed top be actually fixed. On each one the hours were very low and the mains and genset as well as things like A/C and most 'costly' items were barely used.
Great boats and very good deals -
1 38 Bayliner
2 45 Bayliner
3 24 Nautica RIBCAT
4 47 Bayliner

These are not the only boats I have owned just the last four that were above 20'.
After many seasons of 'fun' use they were sold and were perfectly clean and maintained at that time. At that point they would clearly fit into your search list criteria.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:34 AM   #75
Scraping Paint
 
City: CT
Country: US
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 963
Yes to me Presentation = superficial appearance

Definitely a red flag that due diligence on the actually important stuff needs to be a bit more thorough

But a great opportunity to get a bargain if that all checks out, lower competition since so many potential prospects like the OP judge by the skin deep

A "TV", that is a screen to display off a HTPC, is so easy to install complete nothing burger. Broadcast reception is of zero interest to me.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 01:43 PM   #76
Guru
 
AusCan's Avatar
 
City: Adelaide
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,032
We all have a different method assessing boat value.

Things that don't add value in my eyes, but others may like them

- Fluffy matching cushions and pillows
- "it comes complete with dishes and cutlery"
- TV screens of any type
- security systems

We all have our own reasons for owning a boat. Find one and make it yours.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 02:14 PM   #77
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 8,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
We all have a different method assessing boat value.

Things that don't add value in my eyes, but others may like them

- Fluffy matching cushions and pillows
- "it comes complete with dishes and cutlery"
- TV screens of any type
- security systems

We all have our own reasons for owning a boat. Find one and make it yours.
I think there are two issues here;
1) What items/features in a boat would cause you to be willing to pay more for the boat,
2) What items/features in a boat would simply make you more interested in that particular boat.

As my wife went through the buying process relatively recently, we approached it this way;

1. What can we afford?
2. What type of boat (Pilothouse, sedan, displacement vs SD, fly-bridge or no, walk around decks or not etc...?
3. What specific model of boat? ie which specific boat do we think meets the first criterion the best?
4. Are there examples of that model, at that price, in our region, that appeal to us?

It is at #4 where things like amenities, condition, features help us choose between boats. Give us two identical boats but one is dirty and the other is clean, we would choose the clean one (assuming purchase price was equal). That doesn't mean I would write off a boat that was dirty. An electric crane was on our boat. That wasn't a "must have" but it helped us pick this boat others. It had a poor choice of anchor, that didn't mean we would walk from the boat.

Our boat was owned by a wealthy seller. He was able to afford to have the boat regularly washed, so it happened to looked nice. The owner also had Parkinson's disease. If he didn't have the money, the boat would have been very dirty since he wouldn't have been able to clean it himself.
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 05:15 PM   #78
Guru
 
koliver's Avatar
 
City: Saltspring Island
Country: BC, canada
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,575
For sure, a well presented boat is going to get the attention of all who look through her, while a poorly presented boat is simply forgettable. If I was the seller, I would be trying to get the interest of the potential purchaser by whatever means reasonable.
As a purchaser, however, I look for all of the things that are high on my own list of necessaries, and can ignore stuff that might turn away the crowds, but is really of little value to me.
In the purchase of Retreat, the first time I saw her, she had been sitting outdoors, unloved, for at least two years. The varnish had not been touched, the deck coverings had been neglected, the boat smelled badly of cigarette smoke, but otherwise was clean, with a very well maintained ER. In the same time, I looked at another similarly priced boat that was clean, stink free, with Bristol condition varnish, but lacked some of the amenities and size that I wanted.
Because I was able to clean and varnish, I knew the issues that sent away most of the prospective customers were easy to overcome, I made a low offer which was accepted, and am convinced that I got very good value for my money by doing so.
Someone else who is frequently here on TF, who prized the showing appearance higher than I, bought the other one and he too is still happy that he did.
__________________
Keith
koliver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 05:47 PM   #79
Guru
 
BruceK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 11,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
...Our boat was owned by a wealthy seller. He was able to afford to have the boat regularly washed, so it happened to looked nice. The owner also had Parkinson's disease. If he didn't have the money, the boat would have been very dirty since he wouldn't have been able to clean it himself.
Look for good beyond poor presentation. Is it a good boat others overlooked failing to see the boat under the mess, or a mess through and through? Stunning presentation may be no more than the clever superficial detailing of a poor vessel for sale.
__________________
BruceK
2005 Integrity 386 "Sojourn"
Sydney Australia
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:54 PM   #80
Guru
 
Seevee's Avatar
 
City: st pete
Country: usa
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 2,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by mramoo View Post
After reading this thread, it is my opinion that there are those that have the ability and the want to take on a project boat, and those who ether do not have the skill set or the want to take on that project.
If you have the skill set and the want, you will be getting a boat that in the end is YOUR boat.
Otherwise IMHO it will just be a boat you own.
Moo,

First, EVERY BOAT is a project to some degree. Any new boat will require something and later on, something else and it never ends.

The real value boats are creampuffs under a layer of dirt because the guy just didn't clean and, and good washing and throwing out the junk is not hard.

It it's a REAL project, like MAJOR time in refurbishing, and stuff that needs replacement, rebuilding, repairs..... that's a different circumstance and fine for some folks. Not for me.

My goal is the figure out what it would cost me to write a check to the folks that would bring the boat up to my specs and add that to the purchase price and then make a decision to buy. Sometimes it works and sometimes not. My labor is not free.
__________________

__________________
Seevee
Seevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×