USCG Vessel Marking Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gpeterson777

Vessel Name
Decent Proposal
Vessel Make
DeFever 40 Trawler
The official number has to be "permanently affixed....to the surrounding hull area". I prefer not to have this government designed "3 inch block-Arabic" placard affixed inside my salon in my trawler. Does the lower engine room count as a "clearly visible interior structural part of the hull"? One of the cabins?

Last edited:
Welcome aboard. Yes the engine room is fine. Make sure the placard is secured to the vessel so that if it is removed there will be evidence of the removal. In other words screws aren’t enough, need some kind of glue. A good friend of mine used to own a Defever 40, nice boat.

I bought stick-on vinyl numbers and letters (for the No.), stuck them to the hull in the ER and then put a few coats of epoxy on top. Easy!

Ours is engraved across the top of a thick stringer in the lazarette.

Are you sure it isn't already there somewhere?

Last edited:
ER is perfectly acceptable for recreational vessels... commercial is another story.
Had this confirmed from USCG HQ and Vessel Doc Ctr after a very heated "discussion" with a USCGAux vessel examiner claimed "in plain sight" meant it had to be visible when boarded... ie in the helm or saloon area.
Note: it needs to be permanently mounted on the inside of the hull or some structural portion of the vessel... not on any easy removable member, bulkhead, etc.

In plain sight simply means it must be visible w/o the need to move any equip etc.
I was told the wording was changed from "on the main beam" which was a carry over from old wooden ships which obviously wasn't in the helm area.

Here is the published requirement:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/46/67.121

§ 67.121 Official number marking requirement.
The official number of the vessel, preceded by the abbreviation “NO.” must be marked in block-type Arabic numerals not less than three inches in height on some clearly visible interior structural part of the hull. The number must be permanently affixed to the vessel so that alteration, removal, or replacement would be obvious. If the official number is on a separate plate, the plate must be fastened in such a manner that its removal would normally cause some scarring of or damage to the surrounding hull area.

Ours is in the chain locker, on the hull above the chain pile - easily seen when opening the locker doors in the forward stateroom.

My is screwed and glued to a stringer in the center hatch.

Welcome to TF!!

Attachments

• IMG_8711.jpg
    IMG_8711.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 17
My original is in the engine room attached to a stringer partially under a floor board. Not very convenient. A PO had the number engraved on a nice teak placard and attached to the end of a dinette seat. It blends in and looks very nautical. If during an inspection the "permanently attached to the vessel's structure" language comes up, they are more than welcome to stick their head upside down in the bilge to view the original.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom