USCG Vessel Documentation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ASD gave you could advice, patience. If I remember correctly ours took 6 months.

Welcome to TF.

It took my son 8 months to get our boat registration transferred. He was advised to keep a copy of the filing paperwork on board in case the registration was requested. Be advised that if the boat is equipped with MMSI-enabled equipment (EPIRB, AIS, DSC transceiver), you will need to transfer the appropriate FCC license(s) to you.

It took my son 8 months to get our boat registration transferred. He was advised to keep a copy of the filing paperwork on board in case the registration was requested. Be advised that if the boat is equipped with MMSI-enabled equipment (EPIRB, AIS, DSC transceiver), you will need to transfer the appropriate FCC license(s) to you.

Just for clarification, there are no licenses with those. However you will need to update your information and contacts etc. for the EPIRB and have any MMSIs transferred to your name for the AIS and radios. Otherwise you will need new MMSIs and potentially have to send them off to be reprogrammed.

There is a long thread on MMSI transfers from last year that is worth a read. Including whether you need a license if contacting a foreign station (lots of debate on that!). :)

Back
Top Bottom