USCG v USCG AUX Inspections

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
and because I have a key lock out on the sanitary system, there seems to be some debate on if I need to close the hull valve.

Look at post #17. Not required unless you are in a federally recognized NDZ.

I also have been told by CG that auxiliary inspections will not deter a boarding.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

What exactly did you think they were going to say? "If you have a current sticker we're going to assume you're not breaking any laws and have enough PFDs now, for everyone onboard." :facepalm:

Ted

The usual differences apply here in Canada.

No guns.
No inspection by our volunteer RCMSAR, unless you or your marina/yacht club has requested an attendance by the RCMSAR inspection team.
Each inspection is preceded by the skipper signing the Inspection request.
In our YC, inspections are by a volunteer crew whose training follows CG guidelines, but have no affiliation. Those are presently suspended with Covid.

If you do get boarded by the real CG, infractions may (at the discretion of the CG doing the inspection) carry fines that are higher than you would think.

That electronic flare equivalent shown above by OCD is NOT approved as such in Canada, though it is a fun additional device.

I remember on my N46 the sanitary hull valve was a real pain to get to. Port side, up and over a couple of 8Ds. I would not wish that on anyone, especially if the main engine was or had been running.

Look at post #17. Not required unless you are in a federally recognized NDZ.

NDZ dont worry me. I guess I should shut it off and wire tie if I am headed to a NDZ.
I am surprised that the entire AICW is not designated as a NDZ.

In the Great Lakes, recreational boaters understand and accept the NDZ. Commercial ships thought it didn't apply to them. Hello ballast water and zebra mussels. I am not sure how the big freighters handle the sanitary discharge.
The one cruise ship I was on, when asked, smiled and said he had lots of empty ballast tanks he could discharge to, if necessary. I think the modern ocean going cruise ships and freighters have a sanitary system similar to those on shore.

Last edited:
I no longer see any Power Squadron or CG Auxiliary boots around. I think it is an idea that was popular in the 70's. Last time I saw them in Boston Harbor was July 4th. About 12 people on an old Chris Craft. Boat looked overloaded.

I inspect my boat every spring so I would decline a voluntary inspection. USCG will stop you if you are doing something stupid but I think they have slowed down inspections due to budget cuts.

Last edited:

That electronic flare equivalent shown above by OCD is NOT approved as such in Canada, though it is a fun additional device.

Really ashame. Flares are a ridiculous holdover from before the wireless (shipboard radio communications) 120 years ago. Hopefully at some point they will wake up to the absurdity of pyrotechnics on gasoline powered boats. In this day and age of extremely inexpensive EPIRBs and PLBs it would save far more lives if the USA and Canada would require them instead of flares.

Ted

Really ashame. Flares are a ridiculous holdover from before the wireless (shipboard radio communications) 120 years ago. Hopefully at some point they will wake up to the absurdity of pyrotechnics on gasoline powered boats. In this day and age of extremely inexpensive EPIRBs and PLBs it would save far more lives if the USA and Canada would require them instead of flares.

Ted

Canada is ahead of us in the important things such as caring for their people but they are slow on marine things like electronic charts and electronic flares.

BandB,
Yes, so true about the electronics devices. Our approval bodies are still studying them........ have been at it now for about 10 years :), maybe one day????

Several forum members have made disparaging remarks about the professionalism of USCG Auxiliary members. There are always a few inexperienced or bad actors in any job but they are the minority. Just look at the current uproar over police. For the most part the USCG Aux personnel are dedicating their personal time to help us boaters and they do it the best that they are able. The Coast Guard Auxiliary is the uniformed volunteer component of the USCG. Their mission is not only to promote and improve recreational boating safety. They also provide specialized skills, trained crews and capable facilities to augment the USCG. Many USCG facilities have CG Aux personnel onsite providing assistance that frees up USCG personnel for other tasks. The CG Aux not only supports operational missions, but also logistics and administrative functions that we don’t normally see. So let’s not disparage the USCG Auxiliary. We should thank them for their service.

Several forum members have made disparaging remarks about the professionalism of USCG Auxiliary members. There are always a few inexperienced or bad actors in any job but they are the minority. Just look at the current uproar over police. For the most part the USCG Aux personnel are dedicating their personal time to help us boaters and they do it the best that they are able. The Coast Guard Auxiliary is the uniformed volunteer component of the USCG. Their mission is not only to promote and improve recreational boating safety. They also provide specialized skills, trained crews and capable facilities to augment the USCG. Many USCG facilities have CG Aux personnel onsite providing assistance that frees up USCG personnel for other tasks. The CG Aux not only supports operational missions, but also logistics and administrative functions that we don’t normally see. So let’s not disparage the USCG Auxiliary. We should thank them for their service.

The original question was on the value of an AUX inspection, not on their overall contribution.

I'm sorry that you take offense. However, I've observed them directly for years. I made it clear that anything I said was based simply on my observations on a lake in NC and South Florida, mostly the lake in NC. I will augment that they were arrogant, pushy and ultimately on one occasion asked to leave the marina. I did personally speak to one of their leaders and he did apologize for the behavior of some of their members. As to work they do away from the water, I didn't address that at all and will not.

We have enough complaints with law enforcement but volunteer help in many cases is over zealous and problematic. Neighborhood watch is a positive concept and in some cases does well, but in others they go way beyond their legitimate bounds just as condo organizations sometimes become condo commandos.

Sorry, but I will disparage the bad actors of the AUX or the CG itself, of the neighborhood watch, of the police. I also believe many of those who volunteer their effort and do things appropriately without trying to present themselves as something they are not also would criticize their members who don't do it the right way.

One is not disparaging the organization as a whole when they disparage individuals they've observed on multiple occasions. I make my comments only on first hand observations. I've had one get in my boat with no permission to do so. I've seen several who were gathered as a group claim to be from the Coast Guard, making no mention of the auxiliary and saying they were there to do inspections, making no mention of it being voluntary or "Courtesy Inspections." I've seen them give erroneous information. I've seen one group show up at a marina on a busy holiday and proceed to the fuel dock without permission and start impeding activity. They were then confronted and claimed they had permission from the owner. Problem was it was the owner asking them. I've also seen them regularly claim that with their sticker you would not get stopped.

On the other hand, I've heard, but not observed, that they do a very good job in areas of the PNW and I applaud that.

Interesting discussions. I think the point has been made that the CG Auxiliary performs COURTESY inspections of recreational vessels. They are totally voluntary and carry no "force of law." They primarily serve an educational purpose to give a boater confidence they are in compliance with applicable Federal regulations (and potentially identify gaps that can be corrected with no penalty). Having had one provides no "exception" to a regular CG law enforcement boarding (the CG does not do voluntary inspections), though depending on the circumstances and the specific CG boarding team, a current courtesy inspection may have them "move on" to another boater. As also pointed out, there are some states that do recognize a current CGAUX (or power squadron) inspection and exempt boats from state/local law safety inspections. Regarding the comments about the CGAUX itself. Having worked with them for many years, they do perform an important function as the CG's volunteer CIVILIAN auxiliary program. But there are also some Auxiliarists who either misinterpret the regulations, apply their own interpretations or plain just do their own thing (that is why I won't ask for a CGAUX inspection).

Sorry if I came across too strongly. I am certain there are bad apples in the CG Aux just as there are in most organizations. Perhaps I have been fortunate in my experiences with them in the Chesapeake Bay region. I've had two at dock courtesy checks at my request and one while cruising in the past 20 years. In all three cases they were polite, friendly and knowledgeable. So if you have a good CG Aux flotilla in your boating area they can be a great boating safety asset. If the flotilla command doesn't weed out the poor performers it will reflect on the overall organization. Also, we often forget that they provide support functions on site at USCG installations freeing up USCG assets to perform other more critical functions. Disclaimer: I am not in the CG Aux, just wanted to present a more rounded perspective of them. I appreciate everyone's experiences and comments.

A few stand in for active duty functions, but not many.

Some have impressed me and earned high awards.

Many have left me and many others I have met with a bad taste because of egos, not organizational issues.

I had to releive one in my duties because his way was better than USCG procedure...till he damaged several vessels. Even at the end he was arrogant.

Last year an Auxilliarist pointed out an examiner not following the law. After multiple communications with him calling me out...I had to report him to his superiors for correction.

True this is no worse than any organization...but it exists and new boaters have to be aware, just because they wear a blue uniform, they may not always be the best source of info.

In my experience, because it is a volunteer organization....bad apples are not weeded out very well. Again hard to fault the USCGAUX, because it's true of many volunteer organizations.

Last edited:
We were boarded by a training crew at night before the New Orleans locks.

Not one of them was over 24, but very polite. They got jumpy when I declined to be boarded in the ICW, but went to a dock 100yds away.

He wanted to see my oil placard. I pointed at the engine room hatch and told him we had been running 14 hours straight, engine room was easily 120 degrees, be my guest. He checked the box.

In all my years it was our first boarding.

Now the Bahamians boarded us regularly, and having four M16s pointed at you by 17 year olds is not fun.

Now the Bahamians boarded us regularly, and having four M16s pointed at you by 17 year olds is not fun.

It wasn't in Northern Ireland in the dead of night either! :)

Many have left me and many others I have met with a bad taste because of egos, not organizational issues.

I had to releive one in my duties because his way was better than USCG procedure...till he damaged several vessels. Even at the end he was arrogant.

Last year an Auxilliarist pointed out an examiner not following the law. After multiple communications with him calling me out...I had to report him to his superiors for correction.

True this is no worse than any organization...but it exists and new boaters have to be aware, just because they wear a blue uniform, they may not always be the best source of info.

In my experience, because it is a volunteer organization....bad apples are not weeded out very well. Again hard to fault the USCGAUX, because it's true of many volunteer organizations.

Simply, they are not held accountable.

I use to swear those in the Guatemala Army who handled immigration and other things at the airport couldn't be over 14 years old but they had big guns so I said "yes, Sir."

No guns.
No inspection by our volunteer RCMSAR, unless you or your marina/yacht club has requested an attendance by the RCMSAR inspection team.
Each inspection is preceded by the skipper signing the Inspection request.
In our YC, inspections are by a volunteer crew whose training follows CG guidelines, but have no affiliation. Those are presently suspended with Covid.

If you do get boarded by the real CG, infractions may (at the discretion of the CG doing the inspection) carry fines that are higher than you would think.

No guns? Thats un-American:)

Simply, they are not held accountable.
In this case the off base examiner WAS held accountable with correct interpretation of regs and diligence by others that were not pleased with the inappropriate actions by the offender. Unfortunately he chose to check out instead of being willing to learn and change his ways. He just colud not admit he was wrong.
Thanks Scott

I am amazed that we got it done. If it was just the two of us and one phone call...that was 1/10 the BS I would have had to jump through when I was an active duty supervisor of flotillas..

USCGAUX inspection vs USCG boarding

Every once in a while I have one of my yacht club members who also is a member of the AUX to double check me. I don’t display a sticker and have been boarded a couple of times in my previous boat. I don’t have any firearms aboard other than my flare gun, so when the question is asked if I have any firearms aboard, I answer “not yet”. I then look directly at the coasties side arm. The look on their face is confusing at first, but they get over it. The next question I love is “where is the Y valve?” I tell them I don’t have one. The macerator switch has a fail safe cover on it (and is usually jammed anyway) and the other way of emptying the tank is at a pumpout.
In years gone by the PS and AUX went to the aid of boaters having the full range of difficulties. This activity was removed and it really hurt the organizations. Whether the for profit towing and rescue industry came because of the void left or the groups were told they were interfering with the for profit making a living.
The USCGAUX is also tasked with checking and confirming on lights and navigation aids that have been reported as not functioning.
It doesn’t matter what organization you look at, there are know it alls and the inept. I prefer to view it as they are volunteers and the donation of their time and resources should be honored.

As a 37 year member of the USCG Auxiliary, I have been a Vessel Examiner, Auxiliary Coxswain and Instructor. I take exception to some of the negative comments regarding the Vessel Safety Check program.
First of all, we ARE NOT law enforcement and quite frankly don't want that task.
We provide Safety info to the boater through the Public Education classes we teach, through our Boat Crew Program we can help boaters in distress and with the Vessel Safety Check program we can also teach boaters how to properly equip their vessels to meet the Federal and local State requirements.
You would be surprised just how many boaters (brand new vessel owners) have no clue to the requirements. The dealer basically says: "Here is how to start it, shift controls, give me your money and have fun".
Boat liveries don't seem to care about the local laws, either.

The awarding of the decal is no guarantee that you won't be stopped by the Coast Guard or State LEO's. We have never claimed that.
Of course there are some Auxiliarists who THINK they are LE's (lights and siren, etc.) but thankfully they are few and we don't want them in the organization.

Hope this will clear up some miss understandings.

Take exception all you want. There are auxiliarists that give the organization a black eye...far more than you or anyone wants.

As an active duty Group Operations officer monitoring Flotilla activities..... I saw plenty of good and bad.

Fully understand. We had few locally, and glad they are gone.
We don't need the black eye.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom