USCG v USCG AUX

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Training. That is what I thought when I asked the last question. It has nothing to do with a safety inspection, they just want to use random passing boats to practice boarding for when the real deal comes along.

Training. That is what I thought when I asked the last question. It has nothing to do with a safety inspection, they just want to use random passing boats to practice boarding for when the real deal comes along.

Question for our Canadian friends.

Does Canada CG or RMCP do similar inspections? I had heard that the LE function was not under the CG, rather the RMCP.

Question for our Canadian friends.

Does Canada CG or RMCP do similar inspections? I had heard that the LE function was not under the CG, rather the RMCP.

correct, CG here is not enforcement, but the bigger CG boats carry an RCMP member to allow enforcement activity. I am not aware of similar boarding actions described that USCG uses regularly.

It is still a safety inspection, that one happened to be one where people are being trained to do it. I have had several and they were not "training boardings", but the senior person is always pointing out things to the more junior or lessor experienced persons.

The entire USCG never sleeps so to speak so training is almost always done all the time, every mission.

It's not like the other military services that go into a different status when they are in a standown or training mode.

Last edited:
correct, CG here is not enforcement, but the bigger CG boats carry an RCMP member to allow enforcement activity. I am not aware of similar boarding actions described that USCG uses regularly.

The USCGAUX and Navy vessels in addition to other LE vessels carry USCG boarding officers routinely in situations where THAT particular USCG authority is needed to perform the task or mission related to the LE powers vested in the USCG boarding officer..

The USCG is also one of the US military branches, yet has civilian law enforcement authority. It is huge (something like worlds 12th largest navy) so it's missions are way more complex than many government agencies.

The USCGAUX and Navy vessels in addition to other LE vessels carry USCG boarding officers routinely in situations where THAT particular USCG authority is needed to perform the task or mission related to the LE powers vested in the USCG boarding officer..

The USCG is also one of the US military branches, yet has civilian law enforcement authority. It is huge (something like worlds 12th largest navy) so it's missions are way more complex than many government agencies.

You know, having boated for 45 years I am aware of the purpose of the USCG. Most of them are just regular guys too, I have yet to meet one I did not like. Thanks for confirming that USCG does not do safety inspections unless they can pull over random boats because they never sleep and get bored.
Kudos to ASD for being kind enough to let them train once they acknowledged that is what they were doing. Most boaters on the way to somewhere would take offense at their freedom being taken away without probable cause.

45 years boating yet your observations and knowledge of the USCG is a bit off base reading your posts..... do you boat much in the US? Can't tell from your avatar or posts.

Not sure I confirmed or inferred your "Thanks for confirming that USCG does not do safety inspections unless they can pull over random boats because they never sleep and get bored."

Most US boaters I know who have been boarded are happy to have a professional outfit stop vessels to check for safety and pleased with the boarding done to them as they are short and courteous and usually don't bring up probable cause. Many posts historically on TF seem to confirm that or the dissatisfied people boarded are pretty silent on the subject. They are probably worried some US spying agency will report them to the USCG and they will get boarded more. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Always treat the USCG with great respect. They have guns. Best to stay at the helm and answer questions. Make no movement towards any firearms you have on board.
Tell them where they are and status if loaded. Tell where the ship's papers are.
If you are boarded while under way...... remain at the helm, steer per instructions.
Sorry to say, after 9-11 everything has changed.

Last edited:
Dan
That was my point. I have had 99% good interactions with many different authorities. The casecI cited was thec1% and jo intention of disparaging the organization...its all about individuals.

Yep, I was agreeing with you, in a long winded way. :D

Later,
Dan

...Records are kept on who did the check, so they can find out who did it if the boat was later found to have violations. (I'm a Retired Member of the Aux, was active with them over 20 years and did many safety checks.)

In our area they never kept records, beyond the number of inspections done and the time spent doing them. Sure, lots of information is captured on the inspection forms, but nobody ever collected them. There was no place to enter that data in the computer system. There are privacy issues with keeping personally identifiable information like that.

Agree that there is no way to verify who did the VSC. Only the number of checks and hours gets entered into the system. No personal data gets entered.

Because our summer boat is located directly across from CG Station Cape May Training Center, getting boarded in spring is pretty much a given. Always have trainees on board. They are quick and courteous. Very surprised when I hand them my equipt before they ask for it. The newbees with the checklist have a hard time keeping up. :)

USCG Auxiliary is USCG

From the USCG website:

https://www.dhs.gov/us-coast-guard-auxiliary

The United States Coast Guard Auxiliary is the uniformed auxiliary service of the United States Coast Guard.

It is comprised of 26,000 members who volunteer their time to support the operation of the Coast Guard, promote and improve recreational boating safety, and provide trained crews and facilities to enhance the safety and security of US ports, waterways, and coastal regions.

The Coast Guard Auxiliary has units in all 50 states, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, American Samoa, and Guam, and participate in the following kinds of missions:

Safety and Security Patrols
Search and Rescue
Mass Casualty or Disasters
Pollution Response & Patrols
Homeland Security
Recreational Boating Safety
Commercial Fishing and Vessel Exams
Platforms for Boarding Parties
Recruit for all service in the Coast Guard

In addition to the above, the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary operates in any mission as directed by the Commandant of the U.S. Coast Guard or Secretary of Homeland Security.

The USCG is authorized by congress to enforce laws and treaties of the United States upon any US flagged vessel, anywhere in the world. Further, they may board and inspect any US vessel, an authority no other service has. The USCG AUX, is a volunteer organization that can perform vital patrols, help augment station watches, patrols, and perform safety inspections. They have NO authority to terminate a voyage, issue a violation, or enforce laws. They cannot come aboard your vessel, unless you authorize them to. They can recommend that you fix certain discrepancies, and issue those cool decals.

True

True,

While the USCG Auxiliary can not detain a vessel or take action against a vessel or the master / crew of the vessel, they can and in the most serious offenses they will report serious violations to the USCG

True,

While the USCG Auxiliary can not detain a vessel or take action against a vessel or the master / crew of the vessel, they can and in the most serious offenses they will report serious violations to the USCG

Depending on what the offense is will mostly determine whether the USCG even raises an eyebrow.

I was the operations officer for one of the USCGs largest groups (pre-sectors) and the system almost laughed at me if I reported hazardous boaters I had encountered while out on my private boats.

The 7 page (or so) negligent boating form/report was almost comical for anyone but a boarding crew to fill out that actually observed the situation.

The better USCG Aux flotillas were invaluable for checking on and reporting ATON discrepancies or searching back waters on SAR cases.. Many knew the back waters better than the active boat crews plus they had more suitable vessels for those waters.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom