USCG Shallow Waterways Survey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just wondering if anyone else completed this?

I took the survey. I suggested the Lower Columbia from Portland OR to Astoria be established a "No Wake" zone for commercial vessels.

I took the survey. I suggested the Lower Columbia from Portland OR to Astoria be established a "No Wake" zone for commercial vessels.

LOL, wouldn't THAT be nice! Since we spent the summer anchored on the river getting the crap knocked out of us at least 4X per day. The river pilots have a rule that all commercial traffic travel at cruise speed to maintain rudder authority. I just don't see that as necessary during normal conditions. I'm betting there would also be a lot less need for dredging if there wasn't waves from the ships washing against the bars and shores.

LOL, wouldn't THAT be nice! Since we spent the summer anchored on the river getting the crap knocked out of us at least 4X per day. The river pilots have a rule that all commercial traffic travel at cruise speed to maintain rudder authority. I just don't see that as necessary during normal conditions. I'm betting there would also be a lot less need for dredging if there wasn't waves from the ships washing against the bars and shores.

Going up Admiralty Inlet (Seattle) toward Tacoma is a no wake zone. Can't see why it can't work on the Columbia.

Going up Admiralty Inlet (Seattle) toward Tacoma is a no wake zone. Can't see why it can't work on the Columbia.

I didn’t realize Admiralty Inlet is a commercial no wake zone.

Last edited:
I'd love to have a more consolidated way to SEE various NOTAM and other updates overlaid on a live map view. There's a lot out there but little of it gets collated and overlaid on a map view.

I didn’t realize Admiralty Inlet is a commercial no wake zone.

We didn't either until we heard it on the VHF, after getting waked by 3 ships do 22kts, all going to Tacoma. Going over those wakes are a scary and a few glasses met their death!!!:eek:

We didn't either until we heard it on the VHF, after getting waked by 3 ships do 22kts, all going to Tacoma. Going over those wakes are a scary and a few glasses met their death!!!:eek:

I don't think there is necessarily a specific speed zone in the VTS area between Seattle and Tacoma (East Passage). However, there is a specific requirement to reduce wakes when the tide at Seattle is above 11' to reduce shoreline damage.

There is this however in the USCG Vessel Traffic Service Puget Sound user manual.

"Speed and Wake Control

Shipping - 46 USC Section 2302
(a) A person operating a vessel in a negligent manner or interfering with the safe operation of a vessel, so as to endanger the life, limb, or property of a person is liable to the United States Government for a civil penalty of not more than $5,000 in the case of a recreational vessel, or $25,000 in the case of any other vessel."

Back
Top Bottom