USCG Documentation vs State Titles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I read that. It sounds like a deal between friends gone bad. The lawyer for the borrower is going to be some kind of shocked when the US Marshal shows up to arrest the Boat for title fraud. Yes, the boat will be arrested, not the borrower.

I would bet money that their agreement was never in writing and a court will have quite a challenge figuring out what the agreement was and then who did what to whom.

I'm surprised that kind of thing doesn't happen a lot more often. Our bank (well, credit union) and our state DMV have absolutely no idea what federal boat documentation is. Our boat is documented, but we have a state title too which the state issued whether we wanted it or not, when we registered it here and paid the state sales tax. The state title is improper (or illegal, or null and void, whatever word you want to use) but I'll bet in a lot of non-coastal states the states and lenders will issue or want one anyway. Unlike that story, at least our fed documentation and state title show the same owner.

Back
Top Bottom