Old 07-19-2012, 06:16 PM   #21
Guru

In my mind a good used boat is more about how it was maintained than how it was constructed. I've seen good boats in very bad shape because the owner(s) didn't take good care of them. Don't limit yourself to only a few brands. Go see many, you will soon be able to tell the good ones from the others.
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 01:58 AM   #22

City: newport ca.
Vessel Name: sea bird
Vessel Model: 1979 chb 49ft.
hello Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBXSkipper View Post
We have been looking at Trawlers for some time now and the longer we look the more we feel the urge to buy American. We are in the market for a boat from 38-45 ft . We've sailed and motored for years on our Cape Dory 36, seems now would be a good time to make the transition. We've been looking at Marine Traders and Californian 38's. We need to stay under 90k and prefer not to buy a boat that's gonna require a lot of work to get her in shape. So my question is are US made boats and the Californians in particular better quality vessels ? Are there any real drawbacks to the California 's ? I can see a grounding could be costly as they are way more exposed than other vessels. I'm new to trawlers but have been on the water all my life. We are planing to cruise the ICW and over to the Bahamas and do the trip down as far as Georgetown . Home cruising grounds will be the Pamlico and Albermarle sounds and rivers in N/E NC. Thanks, Steve

I have a 49 ft. Chb I got real cheap.$18,000 and traded my truck and camper for a $50 ft slip.the motors work alot of cosmetic work $30,000 or so.reason im sending this is...if you have 90k there is always deals on the water.people pass.wives and kids dont want them.people loose jobs and have to sell quickly because they cant afford the slip fees.one mans loss another mans gain.life happens. Cash is king to those in need.so I see deals all the time on people in a pinch.best to get in the marinas and ask around.the guy who sold me the one I got wanted $45,000 and it was worth it but I wanted to shop around nothing as nice as this boat was laid out.then I saw it on Craig's list for $18,000 a week later.so good luck be patient. Deals are always coming along and you have the cash.so good luck to you.sorry if I put this in the wronv location.dont know this site well yet.
ronald stanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 02:45 AM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Back to US made vs. others. Everyone is correct in saying there are good boats from many other countries. However, let's emphasize many great boats from the US, some often underrated. You mentioned Californian, someone else mentioned Mainship. The Bayliners were excellent boats, now succeeded by Meridian which doesn't have the same market share. Hatteras is unbeatable quality wise. While not a trawler specifically, there are many happy owners of Carvers or even Cruisers. American Tugs and Nordic Tugs. If you were stretching size, I'd toss in the 65' Pacific Mariner. I'm sure here in the middle of the night I've omitted some. And before everyone jumps up and down as this isn't a trawler, a lot of people do use Sea Rays very much like trawlers. And they are a US boat and the largest selling in their size range.

I think first you need to define what you want in a boat. Then see how those boats meet it versus others. Where are you going to use it? How frequently. How many people. How fast do you want to go? How critical is fuel economy. Sleep how many. All those questions. We recently ordered new and we decided if everything else was equal we'd go American. Now often everything isn't equal. As to our needs our favorite was American regardless. But our previous boat purchase, decidedly not a trawler, we went Italian. Simply no US boat, nor really any boat elsewhere that met our goals as well as that boat. Italian boats not known for great wiring and a few other things but speed and performance they are.

In a new build, a US boat had the great convenience to the factory. In older boats that often isn't a benefit because the factory isn't still alive or not really likely to be much help on issues. I would say it would absolutely be a benefit for a brand like Hatteras however. If I was looking for a lobster down-easter type it would almost certainly be US as the three leaders are US.

But let's say a Nordhavn was your ideal boat. Then there simply isn't a US equivalent. If you preferred steel then you'd likely have to go to someone elsewhere like Bering. Then there are brands like Fleming and Kadey Krogen and Defever that are known for quality. Companies like Grand Banks that do what they do better than anyone else. No one else offers exactly what they do.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 05:15 AM   #24
FF
Guru

One question that is not always asked is why a trawler ?Deck house styling?

Many times a far better built boat can be had for a lower price that is US built and better Quality , sadly their called motor yachts. Some are even called Sports fish boats.

Most are designed to go faster than the trawler crawl , so will have far larger industrial based engines .

These will run more GPH at trawler speeds , BUT the boat price and quality will offset the cost easily.

Would you rather >invest< $25K in deck repair replacement which adds no value to the boat , or an extra $5.00 per hour in fuel for the first 5000 hours of operation ?

Parts are parts but you have a better chance at a quality , say waste pump in a high buck US boat .
Sure when it goes it will coast more to repair , but you are paying for NOT having to fix it every couple of years .

The Dave Pascoe book and surveys might be a good read for all TT wannabees.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:39 AM   #25
Guru

City: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBXSkipper View Post
We have been looking at Trawlers for some time now and the longer we look the more we feel the urge to buy American. We are in the market for a boat from 38-45 ft . We've sailed and motored for years on our Cape Dory 36, seems now would be a good time to make the transition.

Thanks, Steve
There is a metal boat builder in Merritt, NC., ::::: CUSTOM STEEL BOATS :::::. They are building some trawlers but they build commercial boats as well. I know they have built at least one Diesel Duck from plans bought by the owner. The company built the hull and and pilot house and shipped it to the owners backyard in MA. The owner is finishing the boat and the wood work is art work.

Have you considered buying plans you like and having the boat built locally?

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 02:40 PM   #26
Veteran Member

City: Akureyri
Vessel Name: Ozimo IV
Vessel Model: 18m Gulet
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
There is a metal boat builder in Merritt, NC., ::::: CUSTOM STEEL BOATS :::::. They are building some trawlers but they build commercial boats as well. I know they have built at least one Diesel Duck from plans bought by the owner. The company built the hull and and pilot house and shipped it to the owners backyard in MA. The owner is finishing the boat and the wood work is art work.

Have you considered buying plans you like and having the boat built locally?

Later,
Dan
I vote for the metal boats - there are many really great buys out there and most were built in America. My Dad recently delivered a Duck from the builder in Turkey to Uruguay. I have delivered a couple of dozen ships from Turkish builders - mostly gulets. As far as I'm concerned there no boat built as well as what they can build - wood or metal.

Ghostrider42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 02:53 PM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Akureyri
Vessel Name: Ozimo IV
Vessel Model: 18m Gulet
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
The Dave Pascoe book and surveys might be a good read for all TT wannabees.
Don't remember reading any of his reports on trawlers. You know he retired in 2012?

Ghostrider42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:15 PM   #28
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Howdy Steve

I'll not get into all the hows and whys about boats and their builders... much has been reviewed/answered here already and I'm confident much more will soon be forthcoming.

I wish you best luck in your search. I recommend checking into Tollycraft boats. US made and very well constructed. YachtWorld has plenty of Tolly to begin your review.

Happy Boat search Daze! - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:19 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Howdy Steve

I'll not get into all the hows and whys about boats and their builders... much has been reviewed/answered here already and I'm confident much more will soon be forthcoming.

I wish you best luck in your search. I recommend checking into Tollycraft boats. US made and very well constructed. YachtWorld has plenty of Tolly to begin your review.

Happy Boat search Daze! - Art
That's one I wish someone would just bring back.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:43 PM   #30
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
That's one I wish someone would just bring back.
Jeff at OceanAire Yachts; 717 Squalicum Way, Bellingham, WA 98225 / 360.756.0405:

He is the only one I know of who is really keeping the Tollycraft dream alive. He tried for some time to locate funds that could blow life back into the magic of Tollycraft boat productions. He has old designs, new designs, and some of the molds. Last few years he built at least one brand new that was operational and maybe as second ready for launch; both are mid sized Tollys . Jeff does a lot of Tollycraft improvements/restorations in Washington. Heck of a nice guy! Heck of a fine boat!! I hope he succeeds in getting Tollycraft build-outs back into the lexicon of operating marine builders.

Tollycraft Projects | OceanAire Yachts
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:25 AM   #31
Guru

City: Bayview
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Willard Vega 30
Take a look at Devlin out of Olympia, WA.
www.devlinboat.com
The 45' Sockeye is our dream. We were aboard the Widgeon at Trawler Fest, spectacular.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:54 AM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cofer View Post
Take a look at Devlin out of Olympia, WA.
Devlin Designing Boat Builders
The 45' Sockeye is our dream. We were aboard the Widgeon at Trawler Fest, spectacular.
You can also charter a 29' Devlin in Washington. I do doubt him seeing many Devlin's on the East Coast though, although currently a 22' in VA. Actually not many used Devlin's anywhere and the larger ones likely to be way beyond his price range.