Old 03-07-2019, 09:09 AM   #41
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
Yes, those massive 135 Lehman’s are a real pain in the butt for our extensive galley crew and frequent dining companions while underway. Guess it’s time to sell this tub and get a boat with no known issues. Which would you suggest we buy, Mark?
I'm surely not Mark. However. I'd suggest a 23' 1948 Chris Craft Express!

in late 50's, through early 60's my family of 5 cruised the heck out of that fun boat! No issues... many smiles!

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:16 AM   #42
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Yes, those massive 135 Lehmanís are a real pain in the butt for our extensive galley crew and frequent dining companions while underway. Guess itís time to sell this tub and get a boat with no known issues. Which would you suggest we buy, Mark?
SoundDown will definitely make a big difference on quieting the boat. The difference between open and closed engine hatch on my boat with SoundDown is amazing. Didn't realize your engines were so big.

Ted

"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:44 AM   #43
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
SoundDown will definitely make a big difference on quieting the boat. The difference between open and closed engine hatch on my boat with SoundDown is amazing. Didn't realize your engines were so big.

Ted
Me either, Ted. Or that a flybridge that we can almost play volleyball on was such a detriment.

How is your SoundDown attached, with the optional adhesive side or fasteners? Is it on all ER surfaces or just the ceiling? Did you remove the original ER sound insulation during your amazing refit or apply the SoundDown over what was already there?

(Just to remain on topic, these questions are all related to greater use of the lower helm.)
angus99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 10:09 AM   #44
Guru

City: San Diego
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
It is simple for us, we donít have a lower helm station. We deliberately bought a boat that does not have one as we wanted the room in the salon.
Same here. We do, however, have a starboard side door that makes tying up in the slip a piece of cake. We had a 32' trawler for 8 years that didn't have a fly bridge & never gave piloting from a bridge a second thought. Now that we have one, I can't get over how the increased visibility adds to our cruising pleasure. Since we never go out with less than two people on board, scrambling down the ladder is not required. (I've tried it , however, & it's not a big deal!) Love the enclosed polycarbonate bridge! (Thanks to Tom White for counciling me on the enclosure selection.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Exterior of Sandpiper.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	86165   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside the Flybridge.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	86166   Click image for larger version

Name:	View of Aft Enclosure.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	86167  
Old 03-07-2019, 10:33 AM   #45

City: tallahassee
Vessel Model: 1979 Mainship 34
Mainship MK1

I can say I really enjoy the comfort of having a really cold salon after a long day on the water and most of the time my passengers agree. 50% of the time they end up napping inside and I rather enjoy running the boat from inside in the FL heat. I don't much care for the sun and while I have a bimini the sun always finds its way to me.

I prefer the lower helm but spend much of the time at the flybridge "entertaining". Less rocking from rough seas, protection from the sun, and AC or Heated.
Mrwesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 10:41 AM   #46
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Walt
Your PC enclosure looks great. A friend with a Nordhavn 55 is having his fly bridge enclosed with Lexan Margard. He much prefers the FB to any of his 3 external docking stations or pilot house when docking. So many ways ----
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:04 AM   #47
Art
Guru

Flying Bridges of the world - Unite!!
Old 03-07-2019, 12:51 PM   #48
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
I tend to do most things from the upper helm. My lower doesn't have electronics. I've rectified that by purchasing a display unit that will be networked (raymarine) this spring.

We have a side helm door. If I didn't I doubt I would use the lower at all. I do find it easier to dock and 'un-dock?' (I'm not sure if that is a word) from below. The side deck is flush with the sole at the lower helm, so I can stand with one foot in and one foot out while docking. Also the midship cleat is right there.

I use the lower for docking almost exclusively. It allows me to literally have a hand on the shifter and a hand on the mid-ship line. My slip is beam-to a strong current in a river. My finger pier is upstream of my slip. It makes docking very difficult especially in the spring or after heavy rain.

I keep a long dock line on the cleat on the end of the finger pier. I can pull up perpedicular to the finger pier, grab the dock line on finger pier and wrap it around my midship. Then use it to spring myself into my slip, while preventing the current from carrying me into neighboring, downstream boat (there are no pilings between boats this marina).

I couldn't do this if my lower helm wasn't setup the way it is.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 12:52 PM   #49
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
.................I also run from below when it's raining or very cold. The lower is dry, and has windshield wipers. (I've been using a Garmin app on an iPad to get by in these conditions).
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 01:07 PM   #50
Guru

City: San Diego
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
.................I also run from below when it's raining or very cold. The lower is dry, and has windshield wipers. (I've been using a Garmin app on an iPad to get by in these conditions).
Interesting, as I use a Raymarine Blue Tooth plotter to send information to the salon which is viewed on an iPad. My guests love it! Also. picture this...you have a camera in the ER and you want to re-position it. On the fly bridge or pilot house, click on the camera and take the iPad with you to the ER. While you are moving the ER camera around, you can instantly see the results! I know this is really basic to most of the TFers but Blue Toothed components sure make life easy!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	iPad in Salon.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	86169  
Old 03-07-2019, 01:28 PM   #51

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Model: American Tug 41
Hereís a vote for both side doors in a pilot house, makes it easy for the captain to talk to dock hands or lock masters, but again depends on type of boat. Many boats have an elevated pilot house, i.e.: Nordic Tug or American Tug, so your view over the bow is excellent.
We donít have and didnít want a fly bridge, personal preference but Iím fair skinned and prefer to avoid potential for skin cancer and other ill effects of too much sun, also love the comfort and commanding position inside the pilot house.
Note also two helms can mean double the equipment you have to maintain, though I get that some people love their FBs.
This FB or no and question of side doors decision really needs to be made prior to purchase. Might be best for OP to be sure and climb around on different types of boats to get a first hand feel, go to a Trawlerfest or other boat shows... good luck!
sledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 03:12 PM   #52
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Me either, Ted. Or that a flybridge that we can almost play volleyball on was such a detriment.

How is your SoundDown attached, with the optional adhesive side or fasteners? Is it on all ER surfaces or just the ceiling? Did you remove the original ER sound insulation during your amazing refit or apply the SoundDown over what was already there?

(Just to remain on topic, these questions are all related to greater use of the lower helm.)
Mineis held in place with marine fasteners (screws and fender washers). One day when I have no other boat projects, I'll cover the fender washers with foam circles to decouple the screws from the noise.

Bulkheads fore and aft, and the engine room ceiling are covered with SoundDown. The sides are mostly blocked fore and aft, floor to ceiling with fuel tanks and then walls with equipment fastened to them. Most of the insulation preexisted my ownership. We reworked a few areas, including closing an access stairs in the forward bulkhead and sound insulating it. Went through several rolls of their tape, sealing seams. Reworking the forward bulkhead has made the staterooms much quieter when the engine or generator are running.

Very happy with SoundDown's sound insulation and noise isolation mounting systems!

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:01 PM   #53
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Mineis held in place with marine fasteners (screws and fender washers). One day when I have no other boat projects, I'll cover the fender washers with foam circles to decouple the screws from the noise.

Bulkheads fore and aft, and the engine room ceiling are covered with SoundDown. The sides are mostly blocked fore and aft, floor to ceiling with fuel tanks and then walls with equipment fastened to them. Most of the insulation preexisted my ownership. We reworked a few areas, including closing an access stairs in the forward bulkhead and sound insulating it. Went through several rolls of their tape, sealing seams. Reworking the forward bulkhead has made the staterooms much quieter when the engine or generator are running.

Very happy with SoundDown's sound insulation and noise isolation mounting systems!

Ted
Thanks, Ted. I may holler back at you for details some day when I finally get around to this project.
angus99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:07 PM   #54
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
While I don't have a 'flybridge' per se, my 'half-tower' with a 'buggy top' does provide an open-air experience with great visibility when the weather cooperates. Otherwise, I operate from the express bridge which is fully equipped including air and heat when needed. It is so much more peaceful up in the tower though.

My first project however was having a proper ladder fabricated so I could easy to get up there. I'm not a youngster anymore
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4781a.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	86185  
Old 03-07-2019, 05:46 PM   #55
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryM View Post
While I don't have a 'flybridge' per se, my 'half-tower' with a 'buggy top' does provide an open-air experience with great visibility when the weather cooperates. Otherwise, I operate from the express bridge which is fully equipped including air and heat when needed. It is so much more peaceful up in the tower though.

My first project however was having a proper ladder fabricated so I could easy to get up there. I'm not a youngster anymore
NICE Ladder!!!
Old 03-07-2019, 05:52 PM   #56
Guru

Quote:
Yes, those massive 135 Lehmanís are a real pain in the butt for our extensive galley crew and frequent dining companions while underway. Guess itís time to sell this tub and get a boat with no known issues. Which would you suggest we buy, Mark?
Pending the sale, you obviously need earplugs. And blinkers too,so that like Mark you can`t see the worth of any boat other than your own.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:13 PM   #57
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryM View Post
When shopping for out boat the #1 rule for the flybridge was it had to be easy to get down from there quickly and safely.

As for noise, don't ignore any gaskets you have around hatches that lead into the engine room. We've got two, one from the cockpit (outside) and another down into from the salon. There's some pretty tired gasket material around that inside hatch and it matters if someone stands on the hatch or not. Drops the noise by a noticeable amount. Been meaning to put that on the 'to do' list...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	starboard cockpit.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	86190  
Old 03-08-2019, 03:58 AM   #58
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
When shopping for out boat the #1 rule for the flybridge was it had to be easy to get down from there quickly and safely.

As for noise, don't ignore any gaskets you have around hatches that lead into the engine room. We've got two, one from the cockpit (outside) and another down into from the salon. There's some pretty tired gasket material around that inside hatch and it matters if someone stands on the hatch or not. Drops the noise by a noticeable amount. Been meaning to put that on the 'to do' list...

WOW!! Great bridge access stairs!!!
Old 03-11-2019, 12:41 PM   #59
Veteran Member

City: Fort Pierce, FL
Vessel Name: Dot Calm
Vessel Model: 1998 Monk 36 Trawler
Send a message via Skype™ to Monk36
upper or lower

We have a Monk 36 trawler and live in Florida. I have used lower helm less than five times...mostly when it is raining or one or twice when I was along.

I DEPEND on a side door in the house if I am on the lower helm so I can quickly grab lines or see what's going on. I have no rear vision from the lower helm.

I guess much depends on what part of the world you are using your trawler. I would not have a trawler in Florida without an upper helm.
Rick
Monk36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:47 PM   #60

City: Santa Barbara
Vessel Name: Grand Times
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 57
I dock from both helms and use both doors midship (from lower helm) to check crew, distance to dock, and any other obstructions. Both doors are very useful and necessary. Does that help?
Dawn

Dawn Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
docking, helm, locking, side deck access