Upgrading the Racor 500

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I upgraded my Racors with ABYC compliant "little buckets." Instead of the Racor bowls that cover less than 1/2 of the plastic lower part (and none of the drain plug), I bought little stainless buckets that fit under each filter. They have hooks and bails to hold them in place. I can easily drain a bit of goop out of a filter bowl because I have a little bucket right there. Try that with the Racor 1/2 bowl, which has a hole in the bottom for the plastic drain plug to go through (so that you have to also $pend for a metal drain plug in order for the Racor bowls to be ABYC compliant). When changing a filter, I have a custom catch basin under each filter (called a "little bucket") already in place when I prime it. Try that with the Racor 1/2 bowl with a hole. It might temporarily catch a small overflow, but then you need something (like a little bucket) when you remove to clean out the leaking 1/2 bowl with a hole.

Because I needed 4 of them, the choice was simple.

Official Racor half bowl with a hole: $85 each X 4 = $260
Official Brand X stainless little bucket: $3 each X 4 = $12

Oh, and better fire protection.

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=109524&d=1604334354

Back
Top Bottom