Updated plan for trawler life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieO.

Guru
Vessel Name
Luna C.
Vessel Make
1977 Marine Trader 34DC
I know a lot of people, including myself, wonder how the new posters made out after their initial post about wanting to jump into the trawler life.

My first post:

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s53/we-have-made-decision-53413.html

Now for our updated plan.

Due to the unpredictable twist and turns of life, it looks like we will be starting out on the east coast. It looks like we won't need to sell our house to help fund our boat purchase, and with that we can buy a boat on the east coast while still working and living in Vermont, and be able to gain experience running the boat and maintaining/upgrading it over the course of a couple years. We've starting our boat shopping but since now we don't feel rushed we feel like we can be a little bit more discerning regarding the boats we look at. When we do decide to sell the house we could set course south or sell the boat and go to the PNW/Alaska.

We are currently looking at boats and dockage in the Hudson River/canals or the northeast shoreline maybe Maine to Connecticut. Being that we live in southern Vermont the best places for quickest access would be around Troy Ny about 40 minutes, but could go up or down river for moorage. Lake Champlain about 90 minutes and if we went straight east we could hit Hampton Beach and a lot of other coastal areas in about 3 hrs (all by car). We also have family that live on Cape Cod, my son really wants to live on the boat at Cape Cod for a summer.
We do have a trip in July to the Oregon/Washington coast and will also be looking at boats and Marinas while there to see if anything catches us.
I still look forward to all the knowledge I am able to garner from the folks on this forum.

BTW looking for a budget 36' - 46ish diesel trawler.

Thanks.

Good for you - do it! I read so many blogs of people out there making it work and it is inspiring. I just don't have the gumption to fully jump. We are transitioning to half time while still working. Keep us apprised as to how things are progressing for you, and again ... truly inspirational!

I've had lots of good experience with Coeymans Landing Marina on the Hudson. Very friendly and helpful staff, the service department can do most things. They have a storage yard, a ship's store and a restaurant on site, and the bathrooms are some of the best I've seen in my travels.

You can get the basics in nearby Ravena, and anything else you might need is a 20 minute drive to Albany.

I've had lots of good experience with Coeymans Landing Marina on the Hudson. Very friendly and helpful staff, the service department can do most things. They have a storage yard, a ship's store and a restaurant on site, and the bathrooms are some of the best I've seen in my travels.

You can get the basics in nearby Ravena, and anything else you might need is a 20 minute drive to Albany.

We actually did stop there and liked the area, they also had a nice town park and playground right next door that our son spent some time at. we looked at a couple boats just down the road at Shady Harbor Marina also.

Coeymans and the Hudson are good suggestions. NYC forms a physical and psychological barrier for exploring south to the Chesapeake or east to LI Sound and beyond.

But mooring in the sound will bea minimum of 3 hrs, more like 4 from S Vt and the Chesapeake eve further.

Maybe base on the Hudson while working and the move to other interesting bases when you have more time in retirement.

Good luck with your plans.

David

Don't limit yourself by geographic region quite so much. You're probably not going to relocate a boat from San Diego, but from Florida, carolinas, or the Chesapeake is absolutely not unreasonable.

1 hour radius from Troy NY is going be VERY limiting. While a trawler can traverse through there, doesn't mean a lot of them tie up and grow mold there.

Look in Long Island Sound. Many boats in coastal New England.

Don't limit yourself by geographic region quite so much. You're probably not going to relocate a boat from San Diego, but from Florida, carolinas, or the Chesapeake is absolutely not unreasonable.

1 hour radius from Troy NY is going be VERY limiting. While a trawler can traverse through there, doesn't mean a lot of them tie up and grow mold there.

Look in Long Island Sound. Many boats in coastal New England.

Our boat search is definitely broader, but looking for dockage somewhere within 3 hours of our home in southern Vermont. Troy just happens to be the closest at about 45 minutes from home.

Our boat search is definitely broader, but looking for dockage somewhere within 3 hours of our home in southern Vermont. Troy just happens to be the closest at about 45 minutes from home.
Don't know how far southern Lk Champlain would be for you but it provides some great cruising spots IMO.

I know a lot of people, including myself, wonder how the new posters made out after their initial post about wanting to jump into the trawler life.

My first post:

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s53/we-have-made-decision-53413.html

Now for our updated plan.

Due to the unpredictable twist and turns of life, it looks like we will be starting out on the east coast. It looks like we won't need to sell our house to help fund our boat purchase, and with that we can buy a boat on the east coast while still working and living in Vermont, and be able to gain experience running the boat and maintaining/upgrading it over the course of a couple years. We've starting our boat shopping but since now we don't feel rushed we feel like we can be a little bit more discerning regarding the boats we look at. When we do decide to sell the house we could set course south or sell the boat and go to the PNW/Alaska.

We are currently looking at boats and dockage in the Hudson River/canals or the northeast shoreline maybe Maine to Connecticut. Being that we live in southern Vermont the best places for quickest access would be around Troy Ny about 40 minutes, but could go up or down river for moorage. Lake Champlain about 90 minutes and if we went straight east we could hit Hampton Beach and a lot of other coastal areas in about 3 hrs (all by car). We also have family that live on Cape Cod, my son really wants to live on the boat at Cape Cod for a summer.
We do have a trip in July to the Oregon/Washington coast and will also be looking at boats and Marinas while there to see if anything catches us.
I still look forward to all the knowledge I am able to garner from the folks on this forum.

BTW looking for a budget 36' - 46ish diesel trawler.

Thanks.

If I were you I would jump on the 36' krogen manatee listed here on the forums that is parked in one of the lakes up there.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom