Uniflite 42

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tak, As was mentioned above, take a good look at that middle fuel tank since it's low and probably wet much of the time, meaning corrosion. A boat here in Bellingham identical to yours but with Cummins 555's had that tank fail, slowly but steadily leaking fuel into the bilge. In your case with gas engines, this problem is particularly acute.I'd guess that the wing tanks could also be suspect.

Last edited:
Robster, I sure hope there’s not much to do! At the moment it’s in the sling at Salmon Bay boatyard up there for its trip to Stockton, CA.

Nice

Built like a tank, up to 16 layers hand laid glass down the keel & foam stringers.
84 MY is the last production year from Uniflite, then Chris Craft acquired the mold produced as a Catalina 425, then Viking 44.
First full beam after cabin boat designed starting in 71, major interior layout upgrade in 79 then changed again in 83-84 MY.
She's a heavy girl for twin gassers...ensure to get a good mechanical survey, especially compression test.
My 1980 with twin Detroit Diesel 671 with 500 gal diesel & 200 gal fresh water weighs close to 50.000 lbs.
So something odd with only 350 GAL in 3 tanks
Port side lower helm sliding door was eliminated going into 79-80 MY for a cleaner look...I'm glad not to have one. All original wiring is done on the engine room AFT bulkhead, there are 12 fuel manifold valves on it also.
Most Uni 42 owners will leave the AFT fuel tank alone filled...you need as much as weight in her stern for her AFT & FORE balance.
Here's my girl Andante

DJI-0034-2-1536157415211.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful boat. Same exterior to mine. Here in the Sacramento area, the summers can be brutal so I'm thinking about putting a top of some sort on the cockpit. I think it was Commodave that mentioned HardtoTop. They gave me a pretty good quote but that's a lesser concern at the moment. Right now my boat's in a sling and the yard operator is trying to extort more money than is reasonable. Trials and tribulations of doing business from 800 miles away!

Tak

Thank you Tak!
She was a dock queen & just sitting left neglected when I first laid my eyes on her 2 yrs ago.
Pretty much the same, but a couple of minor changes...your MY 84's AFT cabin windows got smaller, salon window frames got a bit rounded.
On mine, original radar arch on , only 42 Uniflite I've seen so far with full teak railings & heck of a bow too.

My layout is completely different than yours and sbman's...
Galley on her PORT side, wraparound dinnette on the STBD side. They went with teak railings instead of bulky cabinets, feels much bigger, flows & a lot of room in the atrium under her FWD windshield.

20180326-082621.jpg

Wow I like that Ruffryder. Loses some storage but really opens it up. Curved rail’s a nice touch. The external teak is nice too. The Janie C is going to be berthed outside for at least the next year so it’s just as well she doesn’t have external teak. But it sure looks nice. Sounds like you found a good one too.

Tak

I had the exact same battery charger and still have the same haylon extinguisher in my 29 yr old boat (owned now for 20 years.) The charger failed something like 15 years ago and I replaced with a 40 amp smart charger. I took the extinguisher into my extinguisher place for service maybe 12-15 years ago and they said it was too old to service but that it was very likely to still work as designed. They gave me confidence to just keep it in place. Anybody know different?

I have my halon certified each year. I have to take it to them and they charge $10. Mine is probably 33 years old.

Tak, I'm glad you liked it.
IDK what your previous boat was, but good luck with this purchase.
She's a true blue water yacht, sea worthy... you'll love her.
Center mount full walk around master bed or twin with single?

Tak, that layout is really nice, I like it better than mine, much more open.

My layout is completely different than yours and sbman's...
Galley on her PORT side, wraparound dinnette on the STBD side. They went with teak railings instead of bulky cabinets, feels much bigger, flows & a lot of room in the atrium under her FWD windshield.

Tak, I'm glad you liked it.
IDK what your previous boat was, but good luck with this purchase.
She's a true blue water yacht, sea worthy... you'll love her.
Center mount full walk around master bed or twin with single?

Walk around queens fore and aft which I'm thinking will work for a bit but at 6'4", the master queen is a tad short. I'm going to research ordering and putting in an xl queen which should add enough length with same width.

The seaworthiness is a big plus for me. I want to go out the Golden Gate to mosy down the coast a bit and since I'm new to coastal cruising, I wanted a hull that wasn't!

Tak

Back
Top Bottom