Old 01-24-2023, 05:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Buffalo
Unicorn Boat?

Looking to pick the collective brain here.

I constantly look for the perfect boat, which I understand does not exist. Still fun to look though, as its a constant search for the boat that will "do it all".

We currently have a 36' Hatteras, which I think ticks a lot of boxes. My wife on the other hand, HATES that I have to be on the bridge constantly while under way, or even while fishing (trolling). She would really like a lower helm station so that there isn't the need for our young kids to climb up/down a ladder none stop. I get the headache, she's "stuck" down with the kids if we're under way as they never sit still long enough to enjoy the bridge seating. I don't mind, but then again, I'm usually relaxing with the AP on the FB.. lol.

IMO, we needed a bridge boat due to the adequate space it allows, even on a smaller 36' boat. But, my better half really wants and express style so we can "all be down stairs".

The unicorn I'm looking for, would accommodate the below:

- sleeping for 5. Bunks/bunk room would be a huge plus

- Dual helm, or express/down east style boat.

- Cockpit adequate for fishing. We troll for salmon in Lake Ontario, so seating, and space for fishing, netting etc. is a must. Plus, a big cockpit is just where we want to hang out.

- Is still "cruise-able". I still want to be able to take my family, through the Trent, Erie Canal system to NYC, and run up to 1000's region for a week or two etc., while the kids still like us. So, space/layout is a big deal for us.

All this and trying to stay smallish (not be 50+ feet) seems tough to find. I know in theory, I guess I could put a lower helm in our Hatt, but that seems like an undertaking I'd rather not tackle if I can avoid it.

So, I figured I'd ask. Any ideas of models that I may have missed in my search?

Thanks very much for any input.
Browny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 05:33 PM   #2

City: Grand Rapids, MI
Vessel Name: Escape
Vessel Model: 1973 Concorde 41 DC
No specific model recommendation, but a lower helm station with pilothouse doors can be very handy when docking. You can step out and handle a midship line while the wife is at the bow or stern. The commercial boats I ran all were set up like this and I almost always helped with the line handling. The flybridge gives way better visibility but you can do anything else from up there. My current boat has upper and lower helms, but no doors at the lower. I find it quicker to come down from the upper than to come up from the lower. (There's not really a ladder to the flybridge, it's a four step stairs). Just something else to consider when choosing a boat.
jgwinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 05:39 PM   #3

City: Homer, Ak
Vessel Name: Unicorn
Vessel Model: 1970 50' DEFEVER OFFSHORE CRUISER Timber
I have "almost" what you are describing, and it already named that way.

No need to go through the bad luck process of changing the name.
ofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 06:02 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
We sold out trawler about 1.5 years ago and bought an express cruiser. We needed something faster in case of an emergency, a situation that no longer exists. My wifes wants were no flybridge, we went with a 41í Formula. We really like it. But I do miss the flybridge for sight lines.

BTW, we are on our 24th boat, some new and some used. We have never had any bad luck with changing boat names and no ceremoniesÖ
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 07:06 PM   #5
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
There are intermediate options, such as a boat with a pilothouse. Or a boat with a layout like mine, where there's an aft cabin with a raised deck placing the helm at the front of that deck (but no actual flybridge). That keeps the helm and seating contiguous like an express cruiser, but without the space sacrifices.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 08:01 PM   #6
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
There are a few sedan-style trawlers out there including this Willard 40 (sold, but listing is still up). Also available in a pilothouse version, but sounds like you want the all-access of a sedan
https://www.edwardsyachtsales.com/bo...-trawler/2238/

The Nordic Tugs, while having a raised semi-pilothouse, are open to the galley-saloon and quite social. Here's a 37
https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/200...ic-37-8642018/

You can also search for "Europa" trawlers. Grand Banks made a few (very few). And a few Taiwan Trawlers such as this PT38
https://www.pysystems.ca/about/testi...-cerulean-sea/

Grand Banks 42 Europa
https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/199...uropa-8563849/

Sabre 42 comes to mind
https://dimillosyachtsales.com/yacht...salon-express/

Tiara 42
https://www.denisonyachtsales.com/ya...lorida/8253680

You get the idea - some flavor of express cruiser similar to Comodave's Formula 41.

Peter
Old 01-24-2023, 08:07 PM   #7

City: San Diego, CA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
I am biased but Hatteras 48LRC is close but has a small cockpit. A Defever 44-49 might meet your needs.
Perhaps a Bayliner or Meridian?
Old 01-24-2023, 08:33 PM   #8
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. B. Sounds like a cockpit motor yacht to me.
Old 01-24-2023, 09:57 PM   #9
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Hans Christian Independence 45.

Sleeping arrangements may require some thought. Upper and lower helm. Should be able to clear 15' with the mast and antennas down.

This is one, but probably not one I would buy. Think it's also significantly over priced. Been on the market a couple of years.

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/198...awler-8432218/

A Krogen 42 might cover most of your desires.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 10:01 PM   #10
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
I'll be curious about the OPs feedback. Several suggestions for PH boats. My read of he and his wife is they want less disconnect between helm and social spaces. That said, a PH is certainly better than am upper helm only.

Peter
Old 01-24-2023, 10:17 PM   #11
Guru

City: Guelph
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
Speed requirements? Do you spend time fishing without family, or is it all at the same time?
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 07:14 AM   #12
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browny View Post
So, I figured I'd ask. Any ideas of models that I may have missed in my search?

Bridge style: Any pilothouse (raised or not) boat with flybridge that strikes your fancy.

Express style: Sabre 48 express.

Or their flybridge version, both worlds.

All highly budget dependent.

-Chris
Old 01-25-2023, 08:51 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Wow, thanks very much for all the feedback so far. I know the forum that I'm asking, so understand the push for the trawler side of things. But I'm thinking I'll still need more speed at certain times.

We're a young family, our kids are 8, 6 and almost 3, so being able to push the sticks to get to the fishing spots, or better cruising grounds (i.e. not in the middle of the Lake) is still important. Expensive, but important. Also, its seems like most trawler-ish boats, that do have a cockpit are not set up to rig for fishing with Down Riggers or decent rod storage. They also seem to have any cockpit covered, which again doesn't really work for fishing. That too is the problem with the Aft cabin/raised deck boats, next to impossible to fish from.

If it weren't for the fishing part of things, it'd be much easier to reign in this unicorn! The only Model I've come across is the Mikelson Nomands, which are just too many decimal points away from what we could afford at the moment. And I'm still not sure I could slow one down enough to troll.
Old 01-25-2023, 08:58 AM   #14
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Fishing definitely makes things a little more challenging. My boat is pretty much entirely unsuitable for fishing, as an example.

Depending on what size cockpit you're ok with fishing from, there may be some CPMY types that would be viable to have both an aft cabin and a short cockpit.

The challenge is still going to be having a good helm that's not on an isolated flybridge. A flybridge on a CPMY may be better, as you have a couple steps down to the aft cabin roof behind the flybridge, giving more space options for the family to be close. Same goes for a pilothouse that either is big enough for everyone to hang out in there, or that's not too isolated where they can come and go easily.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 09:00 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
There are a few sedan-style trawlers out there including this Willard 40 (sold, but listing is still up). Also available in a pilothouse version, but sounds like you want the all-access of a sedan
https://www.edwardsyachtsales.com/bo...-trawler/2238/

The Nordic Tugs, while having a raised semi-pilothouse, are open to the galley-saloon and quite social. Here's a 37
https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/200...ic-37-8642018/

You can also search for "Europa" trawlers. Grand Banks made a few (very few). And a few Taiwan Trawlers such as this PT38
https://www.pysystems.ca/about/testi...-cerulean-sea/

Grand Banks 42 Europa
https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/199...uropa-8563849/

Sabre 42 comes to mind
https://dimillosyachtsales.com/yacht...salon-express/

Tiara 42
https://www.denisonyachtsales.com/ya...lorida/8253680

You get the idea - some flavor of express cruiser similar to Comodave's Formula 41.

Peter
Thanks for taking the time to research these listings, and share, Peter. Much appreciated. I love the Sabre, Hinkley, DE style boats. I almost prefer them to the bridge boats....almost. Just wish I could find one somewhat compact, as our marina is tight and I we have a primo slip.

Very on track with the express cruiser style, thanks!
Old 01-25-2023, 09:14 AM   #16
Veteran Member

City: N/A
Vessel Name: Late Harvest
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3888
May I suggest the Bayliner 4588/4788 Motor Yacht? 3 staterooms with bunks in 1, 2 heads with showers, pilothouse lower helm with indoor stairs to the flybridge. Large cockpit, 250-370 hp twin diesels for faster cruising and low speed economy. Certainly would address most of your wife's concerns and tick most of your boxes.
On your current boat, why not share helm responsibilities with your wife, then she can sit on the flybridge with "auto". On our 38 we share helm duties at least 50/50.

James
MacPhid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 09:15 AM   #17
Guru

City: Guelph
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browny View Post
Thanks for taking the time to research these listings, and share, Peter. Much appreciated. I love the Sabre, Hinkley, DE style boats. I almost prefer them to the bridge boats....almost. Just wish I could find one somewhat compact, as our marina is tight and I we have a primo slip.

Very on track with the express cruiser style, thanks!
Budget? Specific size constraints?
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 10:04 AM   #18
Guru

City: Montgomery
Vessel Name: Choices
Vessel Model: 36 Grand Banks Europa
Keep the 36 Hatteras. That and a 38 Bertram best fishing machine made.

Trade the wife.
Choices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 10:19 AM   #19
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. C.

Old 01-25-2023, 11:15 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
Budget? Specific size constraints?

Wallet speaking, I'd like to be around $150ish +/- a bit her an there. I'm honestly more into the boat than my wife is, but if we found something that was damn near spot on I think we could push the numbers. No way to justify any of it, as we have a short season, kids in sports and a camper etc..