Unicorn Boat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Short of a tournament sport fish or an express cruiser with a fishing oriented cockpit, I can't think of a lot of boats where the captain would be close to the fishing action.

Here's a Silverton 38 convertible. Note that flybridge helm station is on the aft portion of the flybridge. I've heard this referred to as an "East Coast" flybridge config of a sport fisher.

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/2004-silverton-38-convertible-8392843/

Another mid-west boat that spends half a year in a barn - preserves condition.

Peter

Silverton 1.jpg

Silverton 2.jpg

Here's a Silverton 38 convertible. Note that flybridge helm station is on the aft portion of the flybridge. I've heard this referred to as an "East Coast" flybridge config of a sport fisher.

Peter

That's what I was thinking of as one of the tournament sportfish layouts. Usually they either have a tiny flybridge, or the helm moved aft on the flybridge. The intent being that the helmsman can see the action in the cockpit without leaving the seat. The more extreme form of a tournament sportfish would be a Bertram 31 Sport Fisherman (the one with the open lower helm contiguous with the cockpit) plus the short flybridge up top.

Post a picture of wife.

Sorry, wrong forum...

Browny
Luhrs and Ocean are two others that get high marks. Both in the mid $100k range if well cared for. Lots of other sport fishing models come to mind but FB access is via ladder.

That's what I was thinking of as one of the tournament sportfish layouts. Usually they either have a tiny flybridge, or the helm moved aft on the flybridge. The intent being that the helmsman can see the action in the cockpit without leaving the seat.

Luhrs and Silverton were sister companies, so their "convertible" designs are similar.

I've not ever heard the term "East Coast flybridge" but our previous helm was similar to that 38C, pictured. Silverton used the term "Tournament Bridge" on some models, but that simply meant the hardtop was mounted on pipe instead of bulky fiberglass panels that obstructed view in some directions.

Anyway, in trolling season, we dismounted the aft panels of the disclosure, and I was essentially standing just above the cockpit crew. FISH ON! often meant I was the one who handed down one of the upper rods for crew to work. Easy, actually, although Chesapeake Bay rockfish (striped bass) are nowhere near billfish etc.

That convertible style, especially with builders who use stairs (instead of ladders) to the bridge, has been much easier for us. Our current ride is called a "Sedan Bridge" but it's similar. One difference is that there's a bench seat between the aft-mounted helm and the real aft of the bridge... but it's removable. Another difference is that the bridge extends slightly further aft over the cockpit. No problems for fishing, and in fact our current bridge is even "huger" so its our main entertainment space too.

BUT... none of these include a lower helm. And many, many (most) bridge boats locate the helm station forward instead of aft.

That said, I think I've seen some similar boats -- with lower helm stations -- in the Powerboat Guide. We used the softcopy version and did lots of keyword searches when we were shopping for this boat. Maybe that'd help locate the unicorn.

And these days, I guess it's not unheard of to use a remote control of some sort, including autopilot control, when cruising. Maybe OP could incorporate something like that in the present boat, then use the bridge controls for close quarters maneuvering. ???

-Chris

Last edited:
I use my boat similarly and would appreciate the same features, but do without them. In my searches the closest models I have found include:

Cape Dory 36 & 40, there were a couple different cabin options but some had a bunk room and a lower helm was also an option. No stairs (ladder instead) to the flybridge but no cockpit overhang so you can see your trolling rods when running from up top.

Bertram 33 Flybridge Cruiser, very few, but some had a lower helm, most had a bunk room so could sleep 5 pretty easily with someone sleeping in the salon (v-berth, 2 bunks, settee), this would be tight but a well-built boat. Finding a diesel with all of these options would be tough.

A larger "open" style with "bridge deck" configuration and big enough for 2 staterooms. Tiara makes a few like this but they are not cheap.

Siverton 42, checks alot of boxes exept for the lower helm, 2 staterooms, stairs to bridge for easy access, nice sized cockpit. Price would be a challenge.

Mainship 350/390, has a second cabin, lower helm, stairs to the flybridge. You cannot see the cockpit from the upper helm so trolling alone limited to listing to your drags, running from below or even running the rods from the flybridge. You don't have the option to run fast (relative to the rest of the list) but economical to run compared to most others listed.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss FB models if they have a lower helm. I fish my boat which has a lower helm and cockpit controls by myself at times and never go up top. Cockpit controls are somewhat rare but you see them on some sporties like Bertram, etc. The FB gives far more usability to the boat than an express layout for the same length. I would throw Riviera into the mix as many have lower helms, but it might not fit your budget. You may be able to find an older one in the sub $200K range which needs some TLC. Not a fan of the build quality of the Silvertons so would look elsewhere.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss FB models if they have a lower helm. I fish my boat which has a lower helm and cockpit controls by myself at times and never go up top. Cockpit controls are somewhat rare but you see them on some sporties like Bertram, etc. The FB gives far more usability to the boat than an express layout for the same length.

I would throw Riviera into the mix as many have lower helms, but it might not fit your budget. You may be able to find an older one in the sub $200K range which needs some TLC. Not a fan of the build quality of the Silvertons so would look elsewhere.

Silverton and Luhrs were a couple of the few remaining builders with solid glass hulls, no coring even on topsides. (Unless maybe the newer 45C and 48/50C were cored topsides.)

And Silverton's at least from the 2000s seem to be have been pretty much same-same quality as Riviera... although I haven't been on boatloads of the latter.

Not a recommendation, just an observation. And a Riviera with aft-mounted upper helm and a lower helm, if there are some, might be a pretty nifty solution for OP.

Also, I agree adding cockpit controls to a flybridge-helm-only boat could solve some fishing issues easily enough.

-Chris

Last edited:
That's what I was thinking of as one of the tournament sportfish layouts. Usually they either have a tiny flybridge, or the helm moved aft on the flybridge. The intent being that the helmsman can see the action in the cockpit without leaving the seat. The more extreme form of a tournament sportfish would be a Bertram 31 Sport Fisherman (the one with the open lower helm contiguous with the cockpit) plus the short flybridge up top.

Peter

View attachment 135397

View attachment 135398

So, ironically, that's almost exactly how ours is set up. Ours is a sport fish/sedan model so it sacrifices a couple feet of cockpit for larger salon. The helm is aft on the bridge, so we're right in, on top of, the action, IMO. Our bridge, for a 36', is huge. We can comfortably fit 6 people up there, with a forward bench in front of the helm.

Personally, I think it works, but again kids up and down and usually underway they will not hang out up on bridge before getting bored and wandering.

Who ever took these pics of use fishing, was actually sitting in the helm chair.

Attachments

• IMG_0906.jpg
    IMG_0906.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1677.jpg
    IMG_1677.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3562.jpg
    IMG_3562.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3342.jpg
    IMG_3342.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 14
Luhrs and Silverton were sister companies, so their "convertible" designs are similar.

And these days, I guess it's not unheard of to use a remote control of some sort, including autopilot control, when cruising. Maybe OP could incorporate something like that in the present boat, then use the bridge controls for close quarters maneuvering. ???

-Chris

You've actually read my mind here. I have an older simrad auto pilot that works OK (sometimes wanders when running on only the port engine), but I'm thinking of upgrading. I just put on new a new Garmin plotter, radar and panoptix. During my research I found that if I can control the new Garmin AP, with either Active captain, from cockpit mounted ipad or even a Garmin smart watch.

That would work perfect for slow troll fishing, but obviously while underway to a destination, someone still has to be on the bridge. I think that is more the problem, while were motoring our family is more often split up and someone is chasing while someone is at the helm "upstairs".

My NT 42 came to me with a bunch of rod holders. Both the overhead in the master and the overhead in the pilot house have 6 each. Then there’s another six rocket launchers on the the stern rail of the boat deck. Finally four bases for fish rod stations to actually fish on the sides and aft corners of the cockpit. I could put 10 lines in the water at the same time. Even the dinghy has four fishing stations. PO obviously fished the boat and dinghy.
I can barely kept up with two lines in the water and although I have enough I don’t fill all the places to store rods. But would think if you like to troll, cast and bottom fish a NT42 can work for you. My only hassle is I can only fly fish off the dinghy or cast to starboard off the swim deck . Casing to port makes me tangle up my back cast. Can roll cast but then don’t get distance.
The 42 doesn’t have the internal ladder the 44 has. But we have a backup camera. I’ve yet to get brave enough and don’t have enough time on the boat so still like to be on FB for docking. Somehow folks rather be up on the FB than in the pilot house unless weather is lousy. Think your bride will be mostly alone if she stays inside.
Leaving tomorrow to get back to the boat. Excited to try a bunch of stuff I bought or tied for redfish and sea trout.
If I ever got the money would love to put a helm station in the aft cockpit. But would think for a famil and fisherman it would work. Or a AT. We had no issues with the AICW but don’t know bridge and depth restrictions you face.

Last edited:
Wallet speaking, I'd like to be around $150ish +/- a bit her an there. I'm honestly more into the boat than my wife is, but if we found something that was damn near spot on I think we could push the numbers. No way to justify any of it, as we have a short season, kids in sports and a camper etc..

Sell the camper, make sure your kids never learn how to skate! Your budget seems low for what you want.

Take the $ from the camper and all associated costs, up your budget and buy as good condition of a boat that you can. Settle on a few must have items (let her win unless it is a safety/reliability thing), and try to do as much boating as you can, and understand you'll probably be doing more maintaining than boating.....or spending a lot more money.

Our kids are now 9 and 10, we started with a smaller express cruiser. It was great for learning and figuring out what we wanted. It also sold easily as they are so common.

We now are in a 2001 Mainship 390, may be a bit small for you but also has proven to be bigger for our family of 4 than we thought. We bought it sight unseen for full price because after 5 years hiding here and listening, we figured it out...at least for now!

We are also on the great lakes (Superior) so have a short season as well.

I believe, to do this right up here you have to be obsessed. Relatives will call it crazy. If you aren't that, it will be more work than enjoyment!

It sounds like you already have a great boat...Hat 36? Why the change? Sorry if I missed it in a thread before.

Also..quick add. My Mainship 390 has the lower helm. I simply would not compromise on that. I am glad I did not. I use it every docking manuver (I could not single-hand well without it) and it is also nice if you don't like the weather to just go below, close a door.

Lastly, going fast is overrated. We are happy at 7.5-8.5 kts. Life is so much better not worrying about hitting something when you are flying everywhere.....and it's so much quieter...and cheaper. You can play uno with the kids at 8 kts and the cards won't blow away!

Last edited:
Beneteau Swift Trawler Might be the Unicorn

We have just listed our 2022 Beneteau Swift Trawler 41 Fly for sale. I don't know if I can link to the listing on Yacht Closer, BoatTrader, and Yacht World
on this forum - but it is there listed through Clarks Landing in Shady Side Maryland. Two helm stations, plenty of bed space, can go fast for a trawler, and is in primo condition with lost of extras. We adore it, but plan to spend more time in various ports around the world and think chartering might make more sense for us.

We have just listed our 2022 Beneteau Swift Trawler 41 Fly for sale. I don't know if I can link to the listing on Yacht Closer, BoatTrader, and Yacht World

on this forum - but it is there listed through Clarks Landing in Shady Side Maryland. Two helm stations, plenty of bed space, can go fast for a trawler, and is in primo condition with lost of extras. We adore it, but plan to spend more time in various ports around the world and think chartering might make more sense for us.
Twig
If you review the TF Classified rules it does allow linking to an existing online ad provided you comply with the other required info on the listing.
Simply a link is not sufficient and posting at least some photos here on TF will encourage significantly more interest from potential payers.
Good luck with your sale.

Twig unless you are offering a GREAT deal I suspect your boat is well outside of the OP budget. If you are selling in that range please mark it sold and let me wire you the funds!

From the OP:
Wallet speaking, I'd like to be around $150ish +/- a bit her an there. I'm honestly more into the boat than my wife is, but if we found something that was damn near spot on I think we could push the numbers. No way to justify any of it, as we have a short season, kids in sports and a camper etc..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom