Under mount swim platform ladders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Escape
Vessel Make
Mariner 37
"Winter" boat projects are reaching full steam as Spring looms. My Dinghy Butler install is part of a broader access improvement project that includes a few improvements to the swim platform. The ladder we inherited from the PO is okay for emergency access and stows securely, but it takes away a sitting spot and will tear up a RIB tied to the platform. I want to replace it with an undermount type ladder without sacrificing the accessibility from the water and secure stowage.

West Marine makes one in 304 stainless that appears to be the under mount version of our current ladder. Anyone have good or bad experiences with this model or design?

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--under-platform-3-step-telescoping-swim-ladder--12868568

Attachments

• IMG_9193.jpg
    IMG_9193.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 41
I bought this exact one in 2019 for $105 IIRC. Not at WM. Seems fine, tho a heavy person on the bottom step may not feel real steady. The lever arm at the bottom step is considerable for the weight of SS used.

Thanks Juliet. Guess that's an important difference between an emergency ladder and a swim ladder. Looking in the mirror, I see neither emergencies (I hope!) nor a lot of swimming.

We have a similar version - I had to play around with the pivot point when deployed to get it to lock at an angle sloping away from the transom otherwise its hard to climb - I have added a knotted length of rope to the handrail to help "oldies" pull themselves up.

It sometimes self deploys in rough seas.

After studying the market more thoroughly, under mount folding swim platform ladders seem to fall into two categories, the telescoping stainless model (also available in top mount like the one I'm replacing) likely made in China and sold under a variety of names, and the custom made yacht ladder that cost 5 times as much and is too substantial to mount under my "standard size" swim platform.

A few features of the ladders in the WM category vary including number of steps and how they secure in their stowed position, but their ability to work as a boarding ladder seems to come down to two things, the hinge bolts and the cross piece welded on to set the extended angle. The WM version is rated for 275 pounds, but one on Amazon claims a load capacity of 900 pounds. Wouldn't want to test at that load. Anyone break either of those shear points?

Attachments

• Under mount swim ladder stress points.jpg
    Under mount swim ladder stress points.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 28
I have the same issue on my boat and purchased the ladder you pictured online for only 89 bucks. The quality seems ok and is heavy. I think it should hold up given its intended use. On the club sea ray forum someone posted pics of a version with pop up handles which are really handy. All the aftermarket units seem to be Chinese.
My hydraulic platform does not have any ladder now and I dont want one on the deck surface where it is in the way. I plan to mount it to the underside with alluminum channels. Hope to post pics here when done. Wieght and clearance over the water line are concerns.

Thanks Larry. I see that same $89 ladder and like the rest of them, may need some reinforcement someday, but looks generally good to go.

We installed the Garelick undermount swim ladder last year. So far it's great, easy to deploy and seems plenty strong. Our swim platform is solid, i.e. not much to grab onto on top of of it, but we have cleat that doubles has an grab handle to help get out of the water. Worked fine even for older people.

I had the same issue/concern regarding the
Handhold/ grab point when I replaced my ladder underneath my swim platform. My solution, that has worked out well, was to install two pop up cleats. The release buttons are easy to locate and the released cleat is comfortable to grab. When reset the cleats do not present a tripping problem.

Our swim platform will have the same arrangement in the coming weeks, Harry. Pop-up cleats at the corners and an under mount swim ladder. Pictures soon.

I replaced my 'under platform' swim step. I wanted on top of the swim platform steps and then..... realizing I could be all alone when I fall over the side...... Deploying the under the platform steps will be the only way especially if the dingy is hanging in the davits.
The retractable cleats are almost perfect too, good hand holds. I was thinking 6 inch would be a good size.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom