The ultimate trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The "ultimate" boat depends on the individual. The Coot is probably my last boat, so doesn't that make it the ultimate, for me?

232323232%7Ffp543%3A%3A%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D3957%3A678%3C4336nu0mrj

The Pilgrim had steps down to very decent maintenance spaces, and a much better genset access than the Manatee. Main Engine access to the Manatee is pretty much the same.....by removing floorboards (once done, access is very good) and has a small hatch in the galley for the generator space, where the generator sits athwart-ships and clogs access to things like the waste tank and non-service side of the genset. Adding coolant and getting into the relay box is also a real pain on the Manatee. This is bad enough that I've actually cut a new hatch in the veranda and will be installing the Manatee genset in a roomy new space just aft and below the salon doors. Both boats have full keels but the Manatee wins the draft contest at only 3'2". Cubic space of the interior is probably about the same, but the Pilgrim offers another head (not sure if this feature is on all 40's). They both have huge boat-decks and upper helm areas, but again, the Pilgrim offers a lower helm and the Manatee does not. The two stateroom versions of either are also a toss up for space and convenience, but the forward space of the fat beamed Manatee wins the single stateroom contest. The Pilgrim is a nicely styled boat and the Manatee is stylistically challenged by its function over form, full beam lower spaces. The side decks of the Pilgrim offer great dockside flexibility but narrow the interior spaces and there are a few up-down steps to get used to. The Manatee is a more convenient single- level boat for the salon, galley, head and stateroom. Economy is probably too close to matter. If I were moving up in size in the same character of vessel, I'd probably be looking for a 43 Pilgrim cuz there are no bigger Manatees. They are both very special, sea-worthy, durable designs that would probably find a market if they were built today. My two cents.
Thank you very much for that constructive reply. I took a look at the Manatee you referenced, and yes it does fit a lot of boat into 36'.

Its just not as appealing from a looks or liveaboard vantage point. I like those big windows on the P 40, what I believe is a slightly bigger saloon, the larger aft deck, and what I think is a larger head.

I keep thinking of this canal boat from France.

Attachments

• interior1.jpg
    interior1.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 136
  • interior2.jpg
    interior2.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 131
  • RoiSoleilfull%20view,%20ps.jpg
    RoiSoleilfull%20view,%20ps.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 143
Pilgrim 40

...a wee bit smaller than that French canal vessel, but what I am saying it that it appears to me that MANY of the trawler designs 40' and under try to place a big master stateroom in the rear, thus taking up that place of a bigger saloon area opening out onto a covered aft deck.

To me this arrangment on the Prilgrim 40 is much more appealing, particularly for a live-aboard

Attachments

• Pilgrim 40, jpg.jpg
    Pilgrim 40, jpg.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 154
  • saloon Fyhren.jpg
    saloon Fyhren.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 150
  • Saloon, Olive Oyl.jpg
    Saloon, Olive Oyl.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 178
  • Aft Deck, Von Fyhren.jpg
    Aft Deck, Von Fyhren.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 145
I have always found that sleep in an aft cabin better. Less boat motion, wave slapping and no anchor noise, but if you are planning to be a dock most night not such a big deal.

That Pilgrim 40... The bed is a ?? Double? Or Queen? The floor plan looks like the bed is NOT a walk around. Or is it?

The other photos are very nice. BTW - how's the engine room? With one a single there should be loads of room?

...a wee bit smaller than that French canal vessel, but what I am saying it that it appears to me that MANY of the trawler designs 40' and under try to place a big master stateroom in the rear, thus taking up that place of a bigger saloon area opening out onto a covered aft deck.

Lacking the covered aft deck the Bruce Roberts Coaster 32 has been on my radar lately.

Attachments

• COASTER32-ACCOM.gif
    COASTER32-ACCOM.gif
    10.3 KB · Views: 135

To me this arrangment on the Prilgrim 40 is much more appealing, particularly for a live-aboard

That sure is a beautiful boat and may be my idea of the perfect trawler for a couple, but I may be a bit one sided . :eek:

img_169238_0_0d01ee08953eb4f2390d678cd876546a.jpg

img_169238_1_89dc2596517d284d1de242042f89cccb.jpg

img_169238_2_ebf4387a92e80957c877215c1879c361.jpg

img_169238_3_bf8b98730d6f99a027457b57bc5a0f78.jpg

Last edited:

Awesome layout. Very open and homey.

That sure is a beautiful boat and may be my idea of the perfect trawler for a couple, but I may be a bit one sided . :eek:
Beautiful boat Scotte, thanks for those pics.

If you have some more I would really like to see them. We can connect thru private email, or just have a look at my website for one such email address.

I'm so interested in these boats, and would have likely bought that one up in Boston if the other fellow had not beat me to it. That one and yours are two of the nicest I've seen.

I actually have yet to actually board one of these vessels, but hopefully that will change tomorrow when I visit an owner in Annapolis who has invited me aboard.

Last edited:
... it appears to me that MANY of the trawler designs 40' and under try to place a big master stateroom in the rear, thus taking up that place of a bigger saloon area opening out onto a covered aft deck.

Welcome Dan, We have a large flybridge, but the nicest place to eat drink and chat is the cockpit, with instant access to the cabin. Some trawlers have a longer cabin which makes cockpit sitting area too small.

I agree Dan, as I look thru a number of designs, something I noticed about quite a number of trawlers under 40'....the rear deck cockpits too small to really be of use (maybe squeeze in 2 deck chairs :nonono:) ,...and often not covered.

Here's a version of the aft deck on a Pilgrim, just off the sliding doors to the saloon

Attachments

• one aft deck version on Pilgrim.jpg
    one aft deck version on Pilgrim.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
I actually have yet to actually board one of these vessels, but hopefully that will change tomorrow when I visit an owner in Annapolis who has invited me aboard.
I visited two of these vessels this past weekend, and I'm as impressed as I was before. I'll give a little run down soon.

Trumpy-Mathis 'houseboat yachts'

Meanwhile I'll make a cross reference to a posting I meant to put in this discussion, but by accident put it over here:
Trawler Forum - View Single Post - Any Pilgrim 40 Owners out there

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Trumpy-Mathis 'houseboat yachts'
Please don't take this as scariledge, but I can't help but think that the designer of the Pilgrim 40 canal-trawler certainly had in mind's eye these older Trumpy-Mathis designs when he created this design,....he was just restrained to a 40' foot length vessel.

Last edited:
Well now...that Hans Christian is really something. Could definitely be a candidate for the ultimate trawler. I also found this controversial Pioneer 40 RPH hiding in the archives.;)

Attachments

• Pioneeer RPH.jpg
    Pioneeer RPH.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 138
Well now...that Hans Christian is really something. Could definitely be a candidate for the ultimate trawler. I also found this controversial Pioneer 40 RPH hiding in the archives.;)
Could that be some sort of photo shopped vessel? ;)

Sure looks like it may have been built on a Pilgrim hull :socool:

This is my new favorite trawler. Not sure if it is a trawler, but it is a motorsailor for sure.
"ubu" Hans Christian 44 - a set on Flickr

I'm with you on that, Bligh. I love the looks for some reason. ;)

I only wish my boat had the same bluewater capabilities as the HC.
I haven't yet put Kokanee fully to the test, but somehow I can't see it being in the same league.

Here's another one.

Attachments

• Hans Christian 44.jpg
    Hans Christian 44.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 439
Could that be some sort of photo shopped vessel? ;)

Sure looks like it may have been built on a Pilgrim hull :socool:

Brian
You haven't been around long enough to know Healhustler. He photo shops many of the boats that are the thread topics. He is the master at giving the boat a "makeover" for anyone interested. I think he missed his calling. Luckily we get him to work cheap!:dance::thumb:

OK, guys here is my entry into the ultimate trawler fray. Eric (manyboats) and I have been discussing this one by PM. I have always admired Seaton's boats, and have toyed with the idea of this one. She is steel, 110,000#, and 6 1/2' draft. A little much for East Coast cruising, but a great boat. Have at it.

1983 Seaton Long Range Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

You guys are obviously not familiar with the prestigious line of Pioneer boats. Each time I publish a picture here, someone yells "PhotoShop"!:angel: Shown here is the more conservative and tasteful Pioneer "Pilot".;)

Attachments

• Pioneer Pilot.jpg
    Pioneer Pilot.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 117

Attachments

• DSC_9941.jpg
    DSC_9941.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 189
OK, guys here is my entry into the ultimate trawler fray. Eric (manyboats) and I have been discussing this one by PM. I have always admired Seaton's boats, and have toyed with the idea of this one. She is steel, 110,000#, and 6 1/2' draft. A little much for East Coast cruising, but a great boat. Have at it.

Have been a fan of that one since it was featured in the 3rd edition of Voyaging Under Power; at that time it was called Sluggo. I've seen a half completed version (more likely 10%) advertised on Yachtworld for sale in the last few years.

You could go anywhere with that vessel, and look good while you're at it.

You guys are obviously not familiar with the prestigious line of Pioneer boats. Each time I publish a picture here, someone yells "PhotoShop"!:angel: Shown here is the more conservative and tasteful Pioneer "Pilot".;)

Okay, so I know that this one off Pioneer from the HH Custom Yard in Florida has some elements of a Pilgrim and a Hans Christian Independence, but does it have any other nautical influences?

That link did not work for me this morning (Thailand time).

Might help if you posted a photo or two as well, as many of these brokerage listings eventually go away, and thus forever a dead link.

Okay, so I know that this one off Pioneer from the HH Custom Yard in Florida has some elements of a Pilgrim and a Hans Christian Independence, but does it have any other nautical influences?

You certainly know your trawlers, Conrad. Yes, those two influences, combining the blandly simple Chereubini 43 cabin and that classic Pilgrim hull with only subtle freeboard mods. I imagined a raised pilothouse version would make space for my stand-up engine room, but we can both see that the house is way too far forward. So, if we don't want 25 ft. prop shafts, I guess the solution would have to be this last one below, the Pioneer "Gambler". I'm here in Stuart, FL on my boat, and playing with this in the evening has been a great relief from working in all day heat.

Attachments

• Pioneeer Gambler1.jpg
    Pioneeer Gambler1.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 117
That link did not work for me this morning (Thailand time).

Might help if you posted a photo or two as well, as many of these brokerage listings eventually go away, and thus forever a dead link.

Sorry Brian, but the pictures from Yachtworld won't copy. The Yachtworld site was having some problems a little earlier. Maybe it will work for you better now. If the link doesn't work, go to yachtworld.com put in Seaton and scroll down the the MOJO.

Yes Don Yes can you do that?

I remember Seaton's "sluggo" in Voyaging Under Power. Seaton's boats are very recognizable .. distinctively his. His boats have a distinctive correctness about them like the Atkins boats. Surfing the Atkin boat plans site is like going to a boat design concert. I can spend time drinking in the lines of boats I normally don't even like. Types of boats like sailboats. Bolger too but his designs are mostly for interest sake .. so many unusual boats and most or all still have merit.

Thanks for posting Don and I really am looking for those pics.

Don the original Mojo link works fine for me on an i-mac on Safari

Last edited:
Sorry Brian, but the pictures from Yachtworld won't copy. The Yachtworld site was having some problems a little earlier. Maybe it will work for you better now.
Thanks, I'll try that. BTW, often wondered why boat pics on Yachtworld are no longer 'savable'. Just started a new subject thread on this rather than digress from subject of this thread.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom