The Ultimate Long Range Passagemaker for Two?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My co worker was flying over to Hawaii ( corporate jet) and assisted a pilot needing a communication relay that he was going to ditch. The pilot was ferrying a Cirrus.

Many different YouTube posts, here’s one.

https://youtu.be/ditPzT-VqVw

The airframe parachute system is terrific. Running our of fuel should be avoidable with proper planning. An engine failure, on the other hand, is just a risk you have to take. Happy ending for everyone, including the aircraft owner, assuming it was insured.

Terrific that both of you are pilots. We don't see that very often. Enjoy the cruising!

Do you own a sailboat named Stone Witch, that was just recently hauled out at Cracker Boy in Ft. Pierce? We just hauled out there last Thursday, for (among other things) some paint work by Chris and Cristina, who have become friends of ours through our time in the yard.

Do you own a sailboat named Stone Witch, that was just recently hauled out at Cracker Boy in Ft. Pierce? We just hauled out there last Thursday, for (among other things) some paint work by Chris and Cristina, who have become friends of ours through our time in the yard.

Brian, Stone Witch belongs to my business partner, Patrick Lahey. I've sent you a private mesage.

My co worker was flying over to Hawaii ( corporate jet) and assisted a pilot needing a communication relay that he was going to ditch. The pilot was ferrying a Cirrus.

Many different YouTube posts, here’s one.

https://youtu.be/ditPzT-VqVw

Here is an article on this ditching:

https://sofrep.com/fightersweep/in-the-news-cirrus-sr-22-ditches-near-hawaii/

The Captain of the Veendam is my neighbor and friend! He won an award from Leeds of London for this event.

The PENULTIMATE Passagemaking Aircraft

Back in the late 1980's when we resided on the shore od Lake Minnetonka west of Minneapolis an aircraft landed on another part of the lake and stayed several days. It was almost enough to give one an orgasm just looking at it, a PBY Catalina painted in a custom scheme. The word was the owner/pilot and his wife were on a World tour.

Back in the late 1980's when we resided on the shore od Lake Minnetonka west of Minneapolis an aircraft landed on another part of the lake and stayed several days. It was almost enough to give one an orgasm just looking at it, a PBY Catalina painted in a custom scheme. The word was the owner/pilot and his wife were on a World tour.

There was a guy from Oregon that spent $2 million upgrading a Grumman Albatross into a flying motor-home. He flew it around the world, stopping to dive at isolated spots along the way. He had a RIB in the aircraft and a dive compressor. The plane is now on display at an Oregon aircraft museum.

I'm not really looking for converts, just thought it was an interesting perspective to share. I found a lot of boat enthusiasts are transportation junkies. Airplanes, boats of all types, motorcycles, civil submersibles, hot air balloons, helicopters, ATVs, snow machines, cars and trucks of all types. Some people just like that stuff and I am one of them.

Still, seeing the world from the air is unsurpassed, and owning your own passagemaking airplane is way cool.

Great stuff, Bruce! Love the aviation developments even though it's been 13 years since I retired. Spent lots of time in GA planes as a Flight Instructor and taught quite a few doctors and lawyers in some high performance private aircraft...always warning them of ego vs reality. Over the years I got to fly a Ryan PT-19, Rearwin Cloudster, multiple homebuilts, the Goodyear Blimp Columbia, several helicopters and 3-4 dozen of GA aircraft from 85 hp recip to mid-size corporate jet like the N256 and LJ-60. I'm just another one of those guys that 'like that stuff'.

PNK, thanks. It has been an interesting project, that is for sure. Our support crew leaves to meet the ship in Guam this week to start the Ring of Fire Expedition to dive to more deep trenches in the Pacific, including several more dives to Challenger Deep, at 10,924 meters, 35,839 feet. The ambient hydrostatic pressure at that depth is 16,000 lbs per square inch. The amount of pressure on the passenger compartment is equivalent to a stack of 292 fully loaded and fueled 747s.

More info at tritonsubs.com and fivedeeps.com

I better sign off as the deepest diving sub in human history isn't a deep diving trawler and I don't want to offend anyone more than I apparently already have...

No offense taken!! I find the submersibles as interesting as our current day spacecraft! TF Member Andy Nemier on Infinity has extensive industrial deep dive experience and has shared with me some fascinating stories. I'd enjoy hearing your stories someday, too!

Love the Diamond and I like your style!! Thanks for sharing and a belated Welcome Aboard!

Last edited:
I'm not really looking for converts

Convert implies faith, religion or at least a matter of taste.

I think the world would be much happier if we could make an effort to make sure we are using verifiable facts as much as possible before we get into faith, religion or taste.

The Cirrus that was on that ferry flight was unable to transfer fuel from the Aux bladder into the aircraft tanks. Hence the reason he ran out of fuel.

I followed this as I was on my way to NZ via Hawaii and our ship was ahead of the one that ultimately rescued the pilot.

If I were flying with a bladder I would make sure there was a manual way to pump fuel into the tanks. A total electrical failure would disable an electric transfer pump.

My first A&P signoff was on such a failure. A Kiwi was ferrying a Fletcher FU-24 from India back to NZ. Had a lightning strike in the middle of a storm and somehow missed Singapore. He continued flying until he was over land and spied an airport. Landed and immediatly was put in jail as a Russian spy. British embassy got him released and he flew to Saigon where he ran into my boss in a bar . He had a ton of spares with him and I was able to replace the voltage regulator and get him back in the air.

So it does happen.

Terry

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom