Ugly Boats?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ARoss

Guru
Vessel Name
My Yuki
Vessel Make
1973 Marine Trader 34
A post on another thread inspired me to think about truly ugly boats.* Who can add their favorites?**

Without the mods to the bridge it looks quite good to me. Oh yea * .. those Christmass ornaments on the bow aren't too cool either. The boat is a victim.*

Eric

It's not nice to comment on someone else's ugly boat.

I recall reading somewhere a quote something like this, "there are two colors for a boat------white and black, and only a fool would paint his boat black".* Oops, did I say that?

Moonstruck wrote:

It's not nice to comment on someone else's ugly boat.

I agree...I mean, somebody obviously liked it enough to buy it...or call it "theirs"?!! *And if somebody uses their ugly boat alot, I have no problem with that either. *With all that said, there are some ugly boats out there. *Let's not forget the Bayliner Buccaneer....and guess what, I have 2 different friends that grew up on Buccaneers and they hold a special place in their hearts.....nothing like a 23ft boat with 12ft of freeboard....

We saw this one when we were going from Brisbane to Southport on our way to the Gold Coast along*the inside of S. Stradbroke Island in 2003 on our previous*boat.*

A little "Retro"

Sorry for the poor quality.* We took it with a 35 mm and than scanned it.*

Larry/Lena
Hobo* KK42
La Paz, BCS, MX

ARoss wrote:

A post on another thread inspired me to think about truly ugly boats.* Who can add their favorites?**

*it is always ugly to drive around with your fenders out.** Pull those suckers in once you leave the marina!

Hiya,
** Larry M, that's a way kewl boat!* What's it made from or is it home made?* I'd cruise on that any day.* Be the first in your marina to own one.

RTF, I move in those same waters, and have often 'admired' that one. I think it's made out of part of an old flying boat fusilage, or some sort of transporter anyway, with a lots of add-ons and mods of course. In fact it looks like they've used the fusilage upside down, using the aft loading door up the other way, with the nose likewise.* Some body's labour of love, and love of their life. That's what I always say to myself when I see some of those....well...let's say 'different' vessels.
There are some real beauts here on Moreton Bay. That one started life out from a place called Jacob's Well.

-- Edited by Peter B on Saturday 21st of August 2010 04:24:19 AM

Peter:* I'm glad to see it's still there.* There are definitely a few boats of "character" in that stretch of water.

Larry

I know that it is in the eye of the beholder, but......

Attachments

• 3n93pe3o75o55t55s4a8l90df487c8f191e7e.jpg
    3n93pe3o75o55t55s4a8l90df487c8f191e7e.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 816
Awe come on , Max.* Give us a hint here.* What are we supposed to be looking for?

Larry M wrote:

We saw this one when we were going from Brisbane to Southport on our way to the Gold Coast along*the inside of S. Stradbroke Island in 2003 on our previous*boat.*

A little "Retro"

Sorry for the poor quality.* We took it with a 35 mm and than scanned it.*

Larry/Lena
Hobo* KK42
La Paz, BCS, MX

I hate the look of SPACE SHIP boats, and this is one of them. Its also what I catagorize as a "gypsy" boat.

R.

The yellow and green "houseboat" photo brings to mind a very famous vessel in this part of the world with a rather sad ending. It's the ferry "Kalakala" which was built on a San Francisco ferryboat that had burned. The superstructure was designed by Boeing engineer (moonlighting on the ferry project). For years it was a major attraction in this area but eventually it wore out and was sold to end up as a permanently beached fish processing plant in Alaska. Several years ago a fellow raised enough money to refloat the abandoned processor and return it to Seattle. His dreams of restoring it to its former glory ran out of money and the boat has passed through several hands. I'm not sure where it is now--- it's either in the South Sound or out at Neah Bay on the Olympic Penninsula. Sad end for a unique ship.

Attachments

• kalakala.jpg
    kalakala.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 161
  • kalakala now.jpg
    kalakala now.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 174
Would you say this one is UGLY !!!

Attachments

• 47061_1389854981551_1087384437_30930320_756842_n.jpg
    47061_1389854981551_1087384437_30930320_756842_n.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 155
  • 47061_1389854981551_1087384437_30930320_756842_n.jpg
    47061_1389854981551_1087384437_30930320_756842_n.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 151
Geez, Max!

That thing isn't floating, it's being rejected by the water!

After careful study, I finally found it on the blue one-------the fenders don't match.* Why didn't I see that before?

Here's a set.

Attachments

• redneckboat1.jpg
    redneckboat1.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 162
  • redneckboat2.jpg
    redneckboat2.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 866
  • redneckboat3.jpg
    redneckboat3.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 156
  • redneckboat4.jpg
    redneckboat4.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 163
  • redneckboat5.jpg
    redneckboat5.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 886
...and the coasties board OUR boats looking for expired flares....

With some of the ugly boats on the "Interesting boats" and the "Worst pilothouse ever", this thread need reviving.

Shield your eyes>

Attachments

• fugly.jpg
    fugly.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 155
Well, based on MY aesthetic standards, here's one of my entries......... :)

image-844498672.jpg

That GB36 would look much better without the flybridge.

Well ... this is my contribution. The least attractive boat I have seen recently. Not that it is ugly, but ... it doesn't fit my nautical aesthetic.

Attachments

• RKL_2815.jpg
    RKL_2815.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
That GB36 would look much better without the flybridge.

The GB36 would look better without the flying bridge, with a shorter and lower house that was set farther aft, a longer forecabin, a sheerline without the stupid break in it, smaller windows, and a higher bow.

But this would just be polishing a turd, so the better thing to do would be to remove everything higher than the caprail and put a pilothouse Europa house on it.

Well ... this is my contribution. The least attractive boat I have seen recently. Not that it is ugly, but ... it doesn't fit my nautical aesthetic.

Looks like an old Navy gig conversion. probably a Willard.

Marin;The GB36 would look better without the flying bridge, with a shorter and lower house that was set farther aft, a longer forecabin,

It is the big difference that I have noticed between the GB 36' and IG 36' aft cabin models.

The cabin trunk and flybridge of the GB is a long way forward, standing on the foredeck of a GB there's not much room to swing a cat, and the bow does feel quite low compared to the IG.

However that does give the GB extra deck width at the stern, also as I have noted in a previous post the GB's have a roomier walk around deck, this is balanced with less width internally.

The aesthetics of the GB 36 aft cabin are fine.(that's because they look quite like the IG 36, and I like the way my girl looks. :)
Photo 1 GB aft
Photo 2 IG aft
Photo 3 GB forward
Photo 4 IG forward( note, this comes as standard equipment on all IG models)

Attachments

• GBIG 010.jpg
    GBIG 010.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 147
  • GBIG 008.jpg
    GBIG 008.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 137
  • GBIG 012.jpg
    GBIG 012.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 135
  • 201.jpg
    201.jpg