Old 12-31-2016, 02:19 PM   #81
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: boatless, ex: Seeadler
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
As I am snooping around for something I'll try getting on one to sea trial and see what all the fuss is about.

Yacht Tenders, Utility Boats, Dinghies - Rigid Aluminum Hull Boats
Where are you?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0490.JPG  
AlaskaProf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 02:45 PM   #82
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Yea Livingstons are OK.

Would be a much safer boat if the bottom was flush w the inbd chines of the amas. In other words not pretending to be a catamaran. Huge increase in payload and freeboard. Would ride rougher on plane though.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 02:56 PM   #83
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaProf View Post
"G'day, Sheila."
Wifey B: You're not Australian are you? I don't think you can use that if you're not?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 03:10 PM   #84
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: boatless, ex: Seeadler
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: You're not Australian are you? I don't think you can use that if you're not?
No, but it seemed relevant to the off-topic discussion of potentially insulting forms of address.
AlaskaProf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 04:28 PM   #85
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Every person I have talked to that has spent any time whatsoever in one says the same thing about them. As I am snooping around for something I'll try getting on one to sea trial and see what all the fuss is about.

Yacht Tenders, Utility Boats, Dinghies - Rigid Aluminum Hull Boats
Looks good on paper, but heavy.... likely partially due to the console. Ours, WB Genesis 310FTD, without console, comes in at about 242-lbs (boat + motor) and the console version would have been another 150-lbs or so IIRC. (Of that, our motor is electric-start 15-hp 4-stroke, 107-lbs.) The more current WB aluminum G2 RIB, same size, looks like it'd be 329-lb total.

I didn't actually know WB had a new aluminum version of the Genesis out 'til I just now searched. Might be worth a look for those who are shopping... although they also look pricey...

-Chris
Old 12-31-2016, 05:16 PM   #86

City: discomfort.reactants.peanuts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Looks good on paper, but heavy.... likely partially due to the console. .......-Chris
Not all Bullfrogs have a center console. Their 10' Utility tender does not have a console and it weighs (without motor) 220 lbs. For comparison a Highfield RIB in a comparable size, their CL 310, weighs in (without motor) at 132 lbs. Yes, 88 lbs separates the two but is it a deal breaker when you consider all the benefits of the Bullfrog?

Old 12-31-2016, 05:46 PM   #87
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaProf View Post
No, but it seemed relevant to the off-topic discussion of potentially insulting forms of address.
Wifey B: Definitely.
Old 12-31-2016, 06:48 PM   #88
Guru

City: Port Townsend and La Paz
Vessel Name: Domino and Libra
Vessel Model: Malcom Tennant 20M and Noordzee Kotter 52
Libra is getting near to being cruise ready and acquiring the tender will be one of the last steps. There has been no question as to what that will be due the bias of what must be near a 1000 days of time aboard this brand (Lund). The deep V can handle some water for a small boat.
For better or worse, my lack of experience or bias in the big boat tender world makes this easy for me. Time will tell how whacked this idea is but this is not intended as a shore boat. I expect to use it as a platform for many sporting activities. I have dragged these things over the rocks for years and years with no adverse outcomes. I have a 12 ft aluminum Thornes that we bought in 1958 that still gets it done and has seen almost unbelievable abuse.
The 12 foot all aluminum Lund WC-12 weighs less than many 10 foot RIB at 202# and under 300 with the 9.9 2 stroke. I have a soft floor inflatable on Klee Wyck and despise the thing.
Attached Thumbnails
boats-wc-12-overhead-black-1080x400.jpg   Lund WC12.jpg  
Old 12-31-2016, 06:57 PM   #89
Guru

OK good ...
Hard to beat an aluminum skiff.
You should see what they do w those things in Alaska.
Huge space on board. Great performance fron small engines. No maintanance to low maintance. And the magic word .. light.
Way to go KW

Old 12-31-2016, 07:27 PM   #90
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: You're not Australian are you? I don't think you can use that{"G`day Sheila"} if you're not?
None too welcome here either. Response could be a full face whack with a handbag. Especially if addressed to a guy.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 08:01 PM   #91
Guru

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Type of Dingy, Inflatable or NOT?

Do you intend to tow? Or are you going to put it on the boat deck? Rigid dinghies are easier to tow than inflatables. If you are going to AK this summer and travelling through BC waters, we found that we towed more than we had the unit on the boat deck. If I was in your position, (and I am) I would choose rigid with mooring whips on the swimstep.

Edit Note: I just saw Klee Wyck's post and I like his Lund! Good choice and it would just fit on your boat deck.
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 09:21 PM   #92
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by klee wyck View Post
The 12 foot all aluminum Lund WC-12

Just looked at the website and they are all riveted, how 1950's

Our alloy dingys are fully welded here.

How flat is the V in the bum on that?
Any normal dinghy shapes I have used are fairly unstable which is why I have the vnose punt linked to earlier.
Flat bottom punt in the back half for stability and some v in the bow to break the chop.

Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 09:32 PM   #93
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
None too welcome here either. Response could be a full face whack with a handbag. Especially if addressed to a guy.
Wifey B: I know, but I've been called worse and lived through it so no slapping from me.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:10 PM   #94
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Aluminum/Aluminium dinghies

In Australia Quintrex was an early builder (? the originator) of these, many well above dinghy size, excellent fishing platforms, well developed design and build quality. They are colloquially called "tinnies".
Popular in Queensland where they have to withstand coral etc and weight disadvantage is outweighed by durability. Whereas to the south, inflatables rule,though sometimes with AL external under panels.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 10:32 PM   #95

City: Tasmania
Vessel Model: Old Town Loon
We when with the plastic Polycraft 3 meter Tuff Tender for our dingy. Its very stable, almost indestructible and won't mark a boat if it rubs up against it. We put an 8hp mariner on it but it would go better with a new light weight 9.9 two stroke. Great little boat.
Jetstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 07:24 AM   #96
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Duck View Post
Not all Bullfrogs have a center console. Their 10' Utility tender does not have a console and it weighs (without motor) 220 lbs. For comparison a Highfield RIB in a comparable size, their CL 310, weighs in (without motor) at 132 lbs. Yes, 88 lbs separates the two but is it a deal breaker when you consider all the benefits of the Bullfrog?

Ah; I only glanced at the first models I saw, just didn't notice a non-console version.

Our non-console RIB weighs 135-lbs, and the reason we don't have a console is that I'm not comfortable adding that much more weight in the place (and to the system) where we carry ours (transom).

I wouldn't see the extra weight as a deal breaker for everyone, though. Would think the other factors -- how/where to carry, effort to stow or launch, etc. -- would be equally important.

-Chris
Old 01-01-2017, 08:07 PM   #97
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Question for the experts.....

Why are inflatables or rigid inflatables so popular? Anything with air in it will leak or eventually leak, and seemed to be generally heavier and have less space inside.

Why not a good, lightweight 10 to 12 foot boat, made with light weight materials. Primarily for running to shore, exploring, easy of loading and launching, and holding more stuff or bodies? Probably not as seaworthy as a RIB, but that's probably not to goal to fight heavy seas to grocery shop or run to shore?

Would that work for Richard?
Old 01-01-2017, 09:55 PM   #98
Guru

Seevee,
Ribs are popular because they are popular. And they are popular because they are new ..ish.
Out w the old in w the new.
I don't get it either.

Perhaps it's convenience. Like the Claw anchors. There wouldn't be many of them if there weren't swim steps.

Simi 60,
Riveted works very well under very severe service in Alaska. At least half of the skiffs up there are riveted. They are by far the most popular skiff in AK. I think they make an 11' that weighs about 110lbs. Oh and almost all the skiffs in AK are tiller rigged. Basic .. like a dinghy should be.

Old 01-01-2017, 10:11 PM   #99
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Soft bottom inflatables were popular because they could be deflated, rolled up, and store for passages. RIBs became popular because they could be deflated and stored on deck for passages. RIBs became more widely popular because they are extremely stable, can take a lot of weight, and can take a large motor. The RIBs also don't mark up the primary vessel when they run into it, is just one large fender.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 11:10 PM   #100
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Seevee,
Ribs are popular because they are popular. And they are popular because they are new ..ish.
Out w the old in w the new.
I don't get it either.
Eric, the reason you don't get it is because you have not owned and used one as a tender. The fact is their popularity is because they have so many upsides, and so few downsides. For a start, the hypalon the good ones are made of is damn near indestructible, which is why the armed forces, and Navy use them all the time. They are actually quite hard to puncture, (it is claimed it takes as much force to drive a nail through one as it does to drive a nail through corrugated iron - I've not tried that however), but even if they are, a bit of a sand down, contact glue and a patch, not even needing to deflate to fix, and you are good to go in no time. (ask me how I know)

They are light, so don't take much power to drive them, and can be deflated to take up less room, and quickly inflated by cannisters if necessary, hence their use as life-rafts and for aeroplanes. Added to that their stability, as one can literally jump onto one edge and they will still not tip and throw you into the water. Great when transferring or boarding off a bucking swim-step and dinghy, believe me..!

Most are multi-compartmented so they don't sink, even if one pontoon is punctured. My Tinker Tramp has 4 compartments. The abuse they can take is amazing. Our poor thing was rolled up for years in a hot shed when we were between boats, then when back on a boat, the 'protective' cover fell to bits - several of them over the years, in fact - so I gave up covering it, and yet it is still so UV resistant I can't kill the thing, even though the colour has faded beyond recognition.

Finally, as has been mentioned, they are like one big fender, so no need to worry about bumping the mother craft's hull, or clanking away all night from wave slap as tinnies do. That about covers it for now. And yes, I have also used rigid dinghies of all types. To me, as a boat tender, there is just no contest, but I might add the rider, best to have a folding rigid floor if at all possible. Mine does, as you can see in the avatar pic.