Old 11-29-2021, 01:57 PM   #1

City: Brunswick
Vessel Name: Seas the Days
Vessel Model: gulfstar 36
two engines or one

Gulfstar 36, 2 perkins engines, going from New Orleans to Brunswick, 1200 mi, 19 days, 1973 boat, engines burning, each 1.5 qts of 10 w oil per hour, at onset, threatened to scuttle the trip, not enough oil avail for this. started running only one engine and swithing every few hours. running both engines at 3400 rpm got 8.3 mph. running one engine at 3400 rpm got 7mph or a bit better occasionally. steering generally OK but somewhat cockeyed. used both eng only for exquisite maneuvering. first marina i came to bought 2 cases 40 wt oil and between that and single engine motoring saved the trip. by the time i got to GA the engines had reduced oil consumption to about a quart every 4 hours.
Hammond Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 01:59 PM   #2
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
It sounds like those engines either have something seriously wrong, or they're just worn out. A quart in 4 hours is a serious amount of oil consumption.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 02:02 PM   #3

they are worn out, long abused by previous owners. i am 81 and worn out sort of too, so we will just keep on keeping on.
Old 11-29-2021, 02:30 PM   #4
Guru

City: Owings, Md
Vessel Name: Graceland
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1
What engines?, I ask because for that vintage of boat and engine, I would expect it to have a max engine speed of 2300 or 2600.
Gdavid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 02:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Kusadasi
Vessel Name: Irish Rover
Vessel Model: Fountaine Pajot Greenland 34
On my 34' power catamaran I only use one engine apart from manoeuvring. I get 7mph @2,200 rpm on one engine and 8mph on 2 engines at the same revs. No issue steering and auto pilot works just fine on one engine.
Irish Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 02:42 PM   #6

perkins about 90 hp. could be the tac is off. most instruments on this boat are off or out. i put some massey ferguson stuff in it trying get some useful info.
Old 11-29-2021, 11:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

City: Valley Cottage NY
Vessel Name: Savage
Vessel Model: Seaton 50 steel expedition trawler
10W oil doesn't sound right. WAY too thin. IMO you are losing oil from the sump past the control rings of each piston into the combustion chamber. I heavier grade of oil would reduce this. Check the engine specs again.

I have a Detroit Diesel 671 that uses 40W, which is the recommended grade. Even a multigrade 15W40 is considered a bad move. I don't have any consumption stats because I haven't owned the boat very long but looking at the two engines together leads me to believe your grade is wrong.

3400 rpm? Should be half of that.
2savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 12:01 AM   #8
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2savage View Post
10W oil doesn't sound right. WAY too thin. IMO you are losing oil from the sump past the control rings of each piston into the combustion chamber. I heavier grade of oil would reduce this. Check the engine specs again.

I have a Detroit Diesel 671 that uses 40W, which is the recommended grade. Even a multigrade 15W40 is considered a bad move. I don't have any consumption stats because I haven't owned the boat very long but looking at the two engines together leads me to believe your grade is wrong.

3400 rpm? Should be half of that.
+2
15-40 keeps popping up in general search. If it burns rings or valve stem wear. Look for high millage oil or an additive . Especially for long hour runs where it will thin out as it gets hot.
Old 11-30-2021, 12:34 AM   #9
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
10w is the equivalent of hydraulic oil. Way to light for an engine. Older, worn engines do better on heavy weight oil, 40w or 50w. In really cold weather a multi grade. Probably not needed in Georgia.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 04:13 AM   #10

Previous owners used 10w 30. Your response is quite helpful. I am going to switch to 50w.
Old 11-30-2021, 07:44 AM   #11
Guru

10W-30 is definitely a bit thin for most diesels. I'd go up to a 15W-40 and see what that gets you, as it's a commonly available diesel oil. 20W-50 diesel oil is not common, so I'd only go there if it proves necessary.
Old 11-30-2021, 08:03 AM   #12
Scraping Paint

City: Vancouver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammond Eve View Post
Gulfstar 36, 2 perkins engines, going from New Orleans to Brunswick, 1200 mi, 19 days, 1973 boat, engines burning, each 1.5 qts of 10 w oil per hour, at onset, threatened to scuttle the trip, not enough oil avail for this. started running only one engine and swithing every few hours. running both engines at 3400 rpm got 8.3 mph. running one engine at 3400 rpm got 7mph or a bit better occasionally. steering generally OK but somewhat cockeyed. used both eng only for exquisite maneuvering. first marina i came to bought 2 cases 40 wt oil and between that and single engine motoring saved the trip. by the time i got to GA the engines had reduced oil consumption to about a quart every 4 hours.
Where is the oil going do you have smoke how does the engine start when cold.If it starts well when cold your rings are probably good.If you have a Lotta smoke then youíre burning it , oil in the water I would look for another cause Iím assuming youíre oil not in your bilge . 3400 RPMs is way way too fast . itís not a crime to know Nothing about engines you need to get somebody that does soon
Bugaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 09:27 AM   #13

engines start after about 3 revolutions, when cold. mild white smoke exhaust for several minutes when started cold, clearing up after 5 min. After 1200 miles,mild thin blackening on transom. oil not in bilge. I am stuck with this situation, I and boat too old to mess with rebuilding engines. So, whats wrong with running it at 3400 rpm, assuming that is accurate, which is questionable considering that one tac does not work at all. About the oil, thicker proves to be better with regard to oil consumption, so would that not rule out getting a multiviscosity oil, where viscosity seems to be reflected in the lower number?
Old 11-30-2021, 09:28 AM   #14
Guru

For multiviscosity, a 15W-40 is a 40 weight when warm, but it doesn't thicken as much as a straight 40 when cold, so at low temperatures it's similar in thickness to a cold 15 weight.
Old 11-30-2021, 09:33 AM   #15

very helpful, thank you. the 15w turns into a 40 when it warms, which is when the engine gets warmed up. i not think most people on earth know this.
Old 11-30-2021, 09:35 AM   #16
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Warning: Slight thread drift...Re: Post #7. Mr. 2s. "I have a Detroit Diesel 671..." Gonna be tough to figure actual oil consumption on a "Screamin' Jimmy". They're notorious leakers. It's said if you have a picture of a Jimmy on the wall, you have to put an oil diaper underneath it...

GREAT engines in spite of that.

Back to our regular programming.

Mr. HE. Agree with other members. Simply go with a higher viscosity single grade oil and I also agree with your philosophy-if it ain't broke, don't fiddle with it.
Old 11-30-2021, 09:36 AM   #17

City: Grand Rapids, MI
Vessel Name: Arcturus
Vessel Model: 1973 Concorde 41 DC
The ten weight probably did a good job of flushing the gunk out of the engines, my dad did that with his delivery trucks back in the '60's. Filled with 10 wgt, ran for 20 minutes then changed again with 30. That's about all it's good for. Downside is sometimes the gunk is all that keeps the oil from leaking out. Try 40 or 50 wgt, should do much better. Do they make "high milage" oil for diesels? I've never seen it, but I use high milage gas engine oil in my older cars.
jgwinks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 09:42 AM   #18

this has all been most helpful. thanks to every one of you.
Old 11-30-2021, 09:49 AM   #19
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Quote:
very helpful, thank you. the 15w turns into a 40 when it warms, which is when the engine gets warmed up. i not think most people on earth know this.
Hmmm, I thought most everyone knows this. No disrespect, but it's one of the most basic properties of oil.
Old 11-30-2021, 10:10 AM   #20
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Quote:
engines start after about 3 revolutions, when cold. mild white smoke exhaust for several minutes when started cold, clearing up after 5 min. After 1200 miles,mild thin blackening on transom. oil not in bilge. I am stuck with this situation, I and boat too old to mess with rebuilding engines. So, whats wrong with running it at 3400 rpm, assuming that is accurate, which is questionable considering that one tac does not work at all. About the oil, thicker proves to be better with regard to oil consumption, so would that not rule out getting a multiviscosity oil, where viscosity seems to be reflected in the lower number?
So are you pulling our legs with 3400 rpm?
Is this your engine rated to run at up to 2400, may not burn as much running at 2000
C10550628.pdf

Tags
one eng or two