TwinDisc Oil Filter Price $267.33

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MYTraveler

Guru
I have Twin Disc gears (nothing special, MGX, behind 660hp QSM11s) and it is time for the 1,000 hour fluid (30 weight oil) and filter change (Twin Disc part number PX-11653). The dealer's price is shockingly high $267.33 each (plus tax and shipping). I don't remember paying that much previously. I would be consider using a Baldwin or other quality after-market filter, but no one has any cross-reference numbers. If I thought there was something special about the filter, I wouldn't feel so bad, but as it is I can't help but feel that I am being fleeced. So, doesn't anyone know of a better source, or after market equivalent? Or some good reason that the price is fair? (My mechanic, or perhaps ex-mechanic, said that I am a "rich" guy and should just suck it up.)

I have Twin Disc gears (nothing special, MGX, behind 660hp QSM11s) and it is time for the 1,000 hour fluid (30 weight oil) and filter change (Twin Disc part number PX-11653). The dealer's price is shockingly high $267.33 each (plus tax and shipping). I don't remember paying that much previously. I would be consider using a Baldwin or other quality after-market filter, but no one has any cross-reference numbers. If I thought there was something special about the filter, I wouldn't feel so bad, but as it is I can't help but feel that I am being fleeced. So, doesn't anyone know of a better source, or after market equivalent? Or some good reason that the price is fair? (My mechanic, or perhaps ex-mechanic, said that I am a "rich" guy and should just suck it up.)

yeah that mechanic needs to go...

Our mg516 has a fleet guard filter and a Donaldson spare

Try talking to your Cummins dealer for a Fleetguard alternate. FLeetguard make a lot of filters for other equipment.

Update:
I have not found a direct replacement aftermarket filter, but I did learn that even though my filter looks like a spin-on, it is actually a housing (shouldn't need replacement) with a cartridge inside. The twin-disc price of that cartridge is not unreasonably priced, at about $75 each, so that is the way I will go as soon as I confirm all of the foregoing. Thanks for all the suggestions. -Rick

Actually that makes sense. T.D. gear boxes, don't know about yours specifically, operate under somewhere above 300psi and sometimes up to about 400psi.
THey way they plumb the gear coolers AND the filters means those auxiliary pieces of equipment must withstand those pressures and according to the manual for my 506 withstand spikes of up to 500psi or risk blowing the filter up.

I forgot about this last night with my comment.

So a typical spin on would blow up.
Get the proper element or cartridge.

Update:
I have not found a direct replacement aftermarket filter

Even the links above to the orange Donaldson Duramax?

Actually that makes sense. T.D. gear boxes, don't know about yours specifically, operate under somewhere above 300psi and sometimes up to about 400psi.

Get the proper element or cartridge

From the Donaldson website

. Working pressures to: 34 bar / 500 psi
Rated static burst to: 69 bar / 1000 psi

https://www.donaldson.com/en-au/engine/filters/products/hydraulics/assemblies/hmk04-24/

I am sure the fleetguad HF equivalent would be very similar spec

T.D. gear boxes, don't know about yours specifically, operate under somewhere above 300psi and sometimes up to about 400psi.
THey way they plumb the gear coolers AND the filters means those auxiliary pieces of equipment must withstand those pressures and according to the manual for my 506 withstand spikes of up to 500psi or risk blowing the filter up.

You are exactly right. The filter assembly has a minimum burst spec of 1,000 psi (even though the operating pressures are in the 300 psi range). Thanks again.

Even the links above to the orange Donaldson Duramax?

From the Donaldson website

I am sure the fleetguad HF equivalent would be very similar spec

I couldn't find a compatible filter on fleetguard's website and in talking with their representative, I was told that they don't make anything for my part number. But the part number I gave, the one stamped on the existing filter, is for a filter assembly, not an individual filter.

The DieselPro filter referenced above is for a different TD transmission, though it does seem to use the same part number. The DP rep told me that the filter could not be safely used in my transmission, even if it would fit, since it doesn't meet all of the specs (or at least Donaldson hadn't confirmed that it meets all the specs).

I don't doubt that there is an aftermarket direct replacement, I just wasn't able to find it before realizing that I could by the cartridge for $75 and use my existing housing, saving almost $500 in the process.

Thanks for your help.

Simi 60

I missed those high pressure units. They would be suitable it looks like if his and one of those can be swapped.

Back
Top Bottom