Twin Volvos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ducatihottie

Does anyone know anything about these Twin volvos. They are in a 35 foot Ponderosa aft cabin motoryacht I'm looking at, (1800 hours).

I dont know a thing about boats, that includes engines. Here's a photo of the boat too.

Thanks for all of your advice.

Attachments

• 9773.jpeg
    9773.jpeg
    70.6 KB · Views: 214
  • 9771(1).jpeg
    9771(1).jpeg
    123.7 KB · Views: 104
Are those the same engines from side to side? Got any more pics?

What I know about Volvos from personal experience is that parts are expensive and hard to get when you most need them. Some people love them and lots of people don’t. Your milage may vary. Do a search on Volvo engines here and see the overall opinion of them.

What I know about Volvos from personal experience is that parts are expensive and hard to get when you most need them. Some people love them and lots of people don’t. Your milage may vary. Do a search on Volvo engines here and see the overall opinion of them.

Dont take seriously the strident anecdotal complaints seen here. Go to a reputable Engine site like Boatdiesel.com for real world ratings of diesels for boats.

Well cared for Volvo's can be great engines. I suggest a Volvo mechanic to come check them out so you have piece of mind. Ask for any maintenance records the owner might have.

I have personal negative experience with Volvo Penta engines, but not with that model! Due to my personal experience, I would avoid them, unless I loved everything else about the boat. And I mean LOVED! My story is on these forums explaining my situation with Volvo.

It does seem strange to me that the 2 engines do "look" different. I would question that for sure!!

Why do they look like two different models?

Probably because they are but that is not what the OP wants to hear. Well maintained engines are that and very likely to be a better than newer engines that were rode hard and put away wet. Unfortunately you, me nor the OP can look at them and tell what they have been through. It's a crap shoot at best!

It looks like a nice clean department area where the engines are. Does that count for anything? I'll post more photos if I buy and I'll get a Volvo expert for my engine survey. Plus ill read all posts "volvo". Thanks all.

It looks like a nice clean department area where the engines are. Does that count for anything? I'll post more photos if I buy and I'll get a Volvo expert for my engine survey. Plus ill read all posts "volvo". Thanks all.

Not really. My father had a saying I will never forget... A girl that doesn't wash her hair probably doesn't wash her behind. I'll turn it around... A girl could wash her hair but ignore her butt. Looks aren't everything. Buying an older boat with older engines is a crap shoot. Roll the dice and take your chances.

I think I’m looking at 2 - 4 cylinder Volvo’s. My question is why am I only seeing 1 turbo? That would make for a serious HP difference

I have no idea. As I don't know much about boat engine, I'll bring this up with the seller. Can I pop a wheelie with one turbo?

Additional question: the broker said the owner took off the hard top over the back sun deck. Said it added to much weight. Does that sound a but fishy?

Last edited:
I have no idea. As I don't know much about boat engine, I'll bring this up with the seller. Can I pop a wheelie with one turbo?

Additional question: the broker said the owner took off the hard top over the back sun deck. Said it added to much weight. Does that sound a but fishy?

It doesn’t necessarily sound fishy. I’m sure you will have a survey before you buy it. The two different engines is a real concern for me. Even it it’s a legitimate reason I’m not sure how I would feel about always needing double the spare parts. Add to it that Volvo parts are very expensive to begin with.

Yes, it was designed with the hard top. We have one on ours and would not have bought the boat if someone had taken it off. It adds another room to the boat. It will decrease the value of the boat substantially.

Thanks I'm talking note of this. Great ideas might give me a bargaining chip to reduce the price.

Ask ir they still have it. You could reinstall it.

Will do. I'm assuming they backed into something and dinged it good. Why take off a good roof? Will see.

Those sure look like two different engines. Valve covers are different as well as fuel tubing, lack of turbo, etc. Engine room is clean which may be indicative on overall maintenance but I sure am curious about the engine scenario.

Look forward to hearing how your appointment goes on Wednesday.

My advice would be to be at least "suspicious" of this boat. Ask lots of questions, take photos, use your time to learn. Come back here and ask questions, post some photos and go from there. However, if it were me, I would be very worried about the "different" engine situation, and that, coupled with the fact they are Volvo's, would have me leaning toward looking elsewhere for my next boat. Reducing the price only should come into the equation if everything looks "good" from the suspicious point of view. :) But have a look.
You don't want to make an expensive "mistake".

Are boat engines usually "color coated" for each manufacturer? For instance, green for volvos....

Would these both be volvos but different models?

I'll definitely keep you posted

As a twin VOLVO owner for over twenty years I would advise anyone to run, not walk away from them. Parts are difficult if not impossible to find, and cost triple those of Cats or Cummins. VOLVO enjoys the worst customer support record in the boating industry.

Well that about settles it. BTW, are different parts of the country different in service? We're here in Seattle, lots of marina's.

Ancora is talking about the company "Volvo Penta" not local marinas or mechanics. I had the same experience with "Volvo Penta Canada" (which is not Volvo Penta USA). Just saying that is what I experienced (what I consider poor customer relations and support).

Thanks for the update. Even if I get a good price on the boat, it appears the engines could be a nightmare and costly, (especially for one that can't do self maintenance).

Thanks for the update. Even if I get a good price on the boat, it appears the engines could be a nightmare and costly, (especially for one that can't do self maintenance).
My friend had something similar he wanted. He got an esitmate for the repair and deducted that amount from the sale price.

Back
Top Bottom