Twin Volvos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Find out the model and HP of each engine. Then call Coastal Marine Service in Ballard. Ask for Larry. He can tell you what they are and how difficult it is for him to find parts. Larry does nothing but Volvo’s and he supports the fishing fleet from Seattle to Alaska.

Volvo's are not all gloom and doom. With good care and feeding, and operated wisely they can absolutely give good service. No need to turn and run at this point. Just use a healthy amount of caution.

But there have been some good caveats presented in this thread: Looks like engines are different. Why? Why did one die and need a replacement? Parts are expensive and for older models can be unobtainium. Do check with the local Volvo shop about whether parts can be had and if he can check them out.

I wouldn't say they are different models, just that the starboard turbo is just out of shot.
They are definitely one of Volvos better engines! As others have mentioned, genuine Volvo Penta parts can cost an arm and leg but aftermarket service items are available, or at least they are in the UK

IMHO - Volvo should be disposed of properly - at the junk yard. They are sold to just about every boat mfgr in EU. They are cheap junk. Makes a great aft anchor. Overheating is a common problem, parts extremely difficult to source even from the factory and worse of all is the abomination customer service. Most all mechanics here won't touch them. You'll wait for six months for parts, then it'll be the wrong ones. Everyone here knows to low ball a boat with them and replace with Cummins or Cats. Then no problems after that.

Even if they damaged the hardtop, if it is fiberglass it can be repaired. We love our hardtop. In the PNW a hardtop would be very handy with all the rain. If you do buy this boat I would use the lack of the hardtop would be a real bargaining point from my view. However having said that it still has those Volvos... I will not buy a boat with them in it. When I was looking that was one of our must NOT haves. Good luck which ever way you go.

Fun thread to watch. They look like two different models of engines to me. I am not a volvo fan, coming coming from the trucking industry, so cant say much about service or parts. If you admittedly know nothing about boats or engines then i would assume you lack the knowledge for any of the systems on a boat.
I am in no way trying to discourage you but recommending that you tread carefully. I would hate to see you fall victim to a sales person without a conscience . Also the engine room looks almost to clean.

I updated photos on a new thread.

They are Volvo Penta TMD31A, twins. 8 knot cruise, 14 tops!.

What's a Stern thruster? Has a remote

Volvo Penta TMD31A, twins. 8 knot cruise, 14 tops!. Stern thruster. About 1200 hours now

A stern thruster is a small motor with a tunnel on the transom with a prop in it. It is used to push the stern to port or starboard. I have one on my boat and used it today. Can be handy. There is also a bow thruster that does the same for the bow of the boat.

I have a remote for mine, use it all the time. I man the helm when docking and my wife does the bow. By the time I get down from the flybridge the stern may have blown off the dock. I use the remote to control the stern thruster to move it back to the dock. Wonderful.

To throw in my two cents, I have twin 1997 Volvo TAMD 61a's and love them. My only complaint is that they are smoky on start up but otherwise have never failed me. I follow the maintenance book and they only have 1,400 hours. At cocktail cruise speed, I get 1.4 miles+ per gallon, including the generator. Most of the green paint still looks new....

I don't know a great deal about Volvo marine engines but those two look small. That is not a bad thing though. I don't know if Volvo makes a three cylinder engine but those are definitely not more than four cylinder..Probably around 120 hp, although the turbo engine may be higher.

Whatever they are, forget about "wheelies". Top speed on that boat will be under 10 mph.

pete

I always say "There is a boat for everyone". That being said, I wonder if this is the boat for you. The engine difference should have jumped out at you, you should have a general knowledge of boat diesels, not knowing what a stern thruster is further indicates you are pretty new to boating. You could be missing other points which would jump out to a more experienced eye. The hardtop is an example, they do not weigh an awfully lot.

Most diesel manufacturers pick a color and stay with it for many, many years. Cats are yellow, Ford Lehmans are red, Detroits are green, etc.

If I were me and considering this boat I might proceed, If I were you I think I would pass.

pete

My 31’s suffered multiple piston failures. The fact one has been replaced is suspicious. Check the 31 serial number, if less than 22031 25980, I have a guess as to the problem, and the remaining engine may not be far behind.

This looks like the boat Art, and Marci have listed on the hard at Skyline. Very clean looking boat, and the brokers have a good reputation. From the photos, looks like Volvo transmission also. ZF, or BW would be preferable.

Volvo Comments

We have put 2200 hrs on the Volvo D280 in the tug. It has been most satisfactory and the only complaint is, as often mentioned, the high cost of parts. The only parts we have used are filters waterpump impellers, and belts. The ultimate insult is the price charged for the crankcase breather filter. It can't cost $5.00 to make and costs me $135.00. None of the crazily overpriced filters is available elsewhere. Other than that the engine is quiet, smooth, and economical. The only real noise is the scream when the bill comes. My mechanic says it should last a very long time, since the same block is used in other models delivering 430 HP from the same block.

Check for parts

When I bought my 1987 trawler I checked for parts availability on the Volvo engines: no problem. However, I didn't check for parts availability on the Volvo transmissions: big problem.

If you have the year, model and serial number of the engines and transmissions, you'll be able to check for parts availability online.

If even one part is unavailable, I'd walk away.

I have Volvo 30 1986 model. When it had a problem I went to the Volvo dealer and was told it was not worth trying to find parts for an engine that old. But he would be more than happy to sell and install a new engine. What really bothers me is the engine is low hour and looks brand new. 1986 might be old for a Volvo but I can still get parts for my 1941 Cat dozer, just saying.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom