Twin Engines, Locking One Shaft

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is not inherently true. Even if stopping the shaft were to produce less drag, the shape of the propeller is going to try to spin the shaft up until the point where the resistance to rotation becomes high enough that the prop hydrodynamically stalls.

Welllll, that is a great argument for the shaft spinning is the path of least resistance. All mechanical systems are going to follow the path of least resistance if the shape of the prop means the shaft will turn then that has just defined the path of least resistance.

Thanks for the suggestion. I am also thinking about installing servo valves with lights indicating both open and closed. Enough to think about.

Servo valves? Those are meant to regulate volumes, not just on/off.
All that would be needed in this case is a simple ON?OFF water control valve.

Don't over complicate the installation as they too will not be as reliable as a simple open/closed manual operation valve. The warning about the valve open or closed could be accomplished with a simple note or hang on tag.

Your choice of course.

I am going to make a very long trip this summer and I will save on (European priced 10$/gallon) diesel running only one engine in the most efficient rev bracket. If I run both engines at these revs I only produce wasteful wake. Attached a photo of the set up. Price? Under 60 Dollar.

You should try running two engines at the speed that gets you below that "wasteful wake" speed. You may find that saves enough $$.

Sorry but it is too complex for me. Too many chances of something going wrong.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom