Old 12-30-2019, 09:11 AM   #81
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
CJ
IMHO, most drive savers are like hoses - throw away and replace items. Age and or improper torquing can do them in. A few years ago we were at the docks as a KK 42 ghosted in, his drive saver crapped out 100' from the dock.

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 10:11 AM   #82
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish53 View Post
? Well yes I guess it was but as has been said "if the shoe fits" and yes I can and have done all with a single screw boat that I can with a twin.
Please send us a video of you doing multiple revolutions of your single turning in its own length!! I know what he is getting at. And no YOU canít do everything with a single that you can do with a twin. You might be able to do everything you need to operate the boat. But you certainly canít turn it in itís own length. Like you can a twin. And that alone makes the twin more maneuverable.

Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 11:48 AM   #83
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Quote:
"superior tone"? Well yes I guess it was but as has been said "if the shoe fits" and yes I can and have done all with a single screw boat that that I can with a twin, that apparently offends you in some way, good. It may be of some utility for you to contemplate that if I can do it you can too and if you can't then I suppose that makes me what? You got it.
Lol.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 12:23 PM   #84
Guru

City: Pitcairn Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Please send us a video of you doing multiple revolutions of your single turning in its own length!! I know what he is getting at. And no YOU canít do everything with a single that you can do with a twin. You might be able to do everything you need to operate the boat. But you certainly canít turn it in itís own length. Like you can a twin. And that alone makes the twin more maneuverable.
Anyone that can't back and fill with a single screw should stay in their SUV, there's also all kinds of things like actually knowing how to use springlines correctly or nudging the dock or a piling. As an expert you should know that not all twin screw boats can turn in their own length without thrusters. I'm sure you just forgot that? I can walk and chew gum and I can walk without crutches, I can also operate a boat without crutches as well. It's a shame that stuff like this gets turned into a pissing contest, please don't request video of that.
Fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 12:24 PM   #85
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougcole View Post
Lol.
I'll take that as an acknowledgement. Thank you! You only have a 50ton license and thirteen years? I started with a 1600 ton 40 years ago and worked on the water for 15 years before that. Let the pissing begin!!
Old 12-30-2019, 12:28 PM   #86
Guru

City: Florida
alrighty then....
Old 12-30-2019, 12:46 PM   #87
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Quote:
I'll take that as an acknowledgement. Thank you! You only have a 50ton license and thirteen years? I started with a 1600 ton 40 years ago and worked on the water for 15 years before that. Let the pissing begin!!
Oh goodie, a school yard fight!!!
My license is bigger than your license.
Oh yea?
Ya yea!!

FYI, years ago, I could 'light-off' a submarine nuclear powered steam plant.
These days, it would be unwise to let me heat a kettle of water w/o supervision
Old 12-30-2019, 12:58 PM   #88
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Quote:

Cool.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 01:24 PM   #89
TF Site Team

Quote:
Anyone that can't back and fill with a single screw should stay in their SUV, there's also all kinds of things like actually knowing how to use springlines correctly or nudging the dock or a piling. As an expert you should know that not all twin screw boats can turn in their own length without thrusters. I'm sure you just forgot that? I can walk and chew gum and I can walk without crutches, I can also operate a boat without crutches as well. It's a shame that stuff like this gets turned into a pissing contest, please don't request video of that.
Yep...you just admitted. You cannot do it! I have owned all configurations. Some are more maneuverable than others. Why you cannot admit that is beyond me. I can back and fill. I can spring ff of a dock. I can nudge a piling. AND I can admit some boats are more maneuverable than others. And YOU are the one that has turned this into a pissing contest. That happens when you act like a know-it-all child.
Old 12-30-2019, 01:24 PM   #90
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Oh yea?
Ya yea!!

As there seemed to be some disagreement and a license was presented as some form of credential it seemed only appropriate to respond in kind to support my position. Some people say things without applying sufficient thought and a slight correction is needed. There's an old saying " before you run down a blind alley to get into a dogfight it's good to know how big the other dog is". I apologize for not tiptoeing around others delicate sensibilities but I've never been very good at that.
Old 12-30-2019, 01:39 PM   #91
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Yep...you just admitted. You cannot do it! I have owned all configurations. Some are more maneuverable than others. Why you cannot admit that is beyond me. I can back and fill. I can spring ff of a dock. I can nudge a piling. AND I can admit some boats are more maneuverable than others. And YOU are the one that has turned this into a pissing contest. That happens when you act like a know-it-all child.
Not really sure where you get that from but I respectfully suggest you reread my initial comment. Careful examination will show that it wasn't directed at any specific individual, yet you made it so. While I'm more than impressed with your breadth of knowledge I'm not as impressed with your inability to present it in an intelligible form, a limitation that I'm confident accompanies your others. Just to make things clear I am hardly a child but while I am not a "no-it-all" I am quite well versed in the subject at hand. You may not like what I write but making a half baked attempt to refute it doesn't reflect well on you or your contentions. If it will bring a merciful end to this I'm happy to concede to whatever will accomplish that end and make you happy again. You are correct in every way and I was completely mistaken, please accept my humble apologies.
Old 12-30-2019, 01:53 PM   #92
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
I'm constantly amazed by some comments about twin vs single engine. The common refrain is maneuverability and redundancy. A good boat handler can do anything with a single engine that you can do with two and proper maintenance and a little knowledge are all that's needed to avoid the expense and complexity of twins.
That’s correct of course but ....
Very few rec trawler skippers accumulate enough experience to become “good boat handlers”. I know I haven’t. I’m going down today to try some new backing in variations to what I have been doing. But I’ve witnessed some amazing skills demonstrated by fish boat skippers in Craig Alaska.

But most of us here just play w our toys.
Fish boats are mostly single screw for prop to fish gear clearance and economy. The big reason is economy.
But if I had the money I’d choose a twin. However the twin/single issue is far down on my list of preferences. It’s unlikely I’d buy a twin if I found a single I really liked. Like when I bought the Willard.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 02:25 PM   #93
TF Site Team

Quote:
Not really sure where you get that from but I respectfully suggest you reread my initial comment. Careful examination will show that it wasn't directed at any specific individual, yet you made it so. While I'm more than impressed with your breadth of knowledge I'm not as impressed with your inability to present it in an intelligible form, a limitation that I'm confident accompanies your others. Just to make things clear I am hardly a child but while I am not a "no-it-all" I am quite well versed in the subject at hand. You may not like what I write but making a half baked attempt to refute it doesn't reflect well on you or your contentions. If it will bring a merciful end to this I'm happy to concede to whatever will accomplish that end and make you happy again. You are correct in every way and I was completely mistaken, please accept my humble apologies.
Hey I can appreciate a passive aggressive childish apology like the next guy!! Thanks man!!
Old 12-30-2019, 02:41 PM   #94
Guru

City: Canaveral
Quote:
Oh yea?
Ya yea!!

Ha! I can boil water with my twin kettle much faster than you can with your puny single kettle.
makobuilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 06:04 PM   #95
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Thatís correct of course but ....
Very few rec trawler skippers accumulate enough experience to become ďgood boat handlersĒ. I know I havenít. Iím going down today to try some new backing in variations to what I have been doing. But Iíve witnessed some amazing skills demonstrated by fish boat skippers in Craig Alaska.

I'll absolutely agree with this. I'd say my boat handling skills are "pretty good", certainly far better than the average few weekends a year boater that stops trying to improve their skills as soon as they can manage to get the boat in the slip without banging it off the dock 20 times. But compared to the professionals that are out there on their boats every day in all kinds of conditions fishing, towing, etc. my skills are probably complete garbage.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 07:16 PM   #96
Veteran Member

City: Long Beach
Superior skills didn’t help the Crabber in Oregon that capsized his 40’ boat with a full load of gear on the aft deck. I can’t find the video now but the vessel did a slow roll over after leaving the fuel dock. It looked like the C.G. of his gear exceeded his seamanship ability. https://www.kezi.com/content/news/4-...566511771.html

No dispersions intended against anyone on the forum. Anyone can have a bad day.
Old 12-30-2019, 07:44 PM   #97
Guru

City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
When looking for a boat a few yrs ago I was set on a single, hopefully with bow thruster. But we found this nice 42' sundeck with twin Lehman 135's, and my wife loved the boat. While on the TN River this past fall we lost a transmission on the starboard side, at an inopportune time - was nice to have the 2nd engine. Two weeks later lost the port engine (fuel filter) while circling waiting for a lock - also nice then to have the 2nd engine. Lesson learned.
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 08:17 PM   #98
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
But most of us here just play w our toys.
A bit of information I learned here or somewhere else.
Right turning screw, put the rudder over to 30 degrees port, slow in reverse, you will back straight. Practice that for a while.
Old 12-31-2019, 12:28 AM   #99
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
My single propeller shaft came apart years ago. Thankfully, was drifting into my home berth at the time.
Old 12-31-2019, 12:31 AM   #100
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
A bit of information I learned here or somewhere else.
Right turning screw, put the rudder over to 30 degrees port, slow in reverse, you will back straight. Practice that for a while.
But I have a counter-clockwise turning screw!

Tags
caterpillar, mainship 350 390, single diesel, twin diesel, yanmar diesel