Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-30-2019, 09:11 AM   #81
Guru
 
City: Carefree, Arizona
Country: usa
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 8,333
CJ
IMHO, most drive savers are like hoses - throw away and replace items. Age and or improper torquing can do them in. A few years ago we were at the docks as a KK 42 ghosted in, his drive saver crapped out 100' from the dock.
__________________
Advertisement

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 10:11 AM   #82
TF Site Team
 
Baker's Avatar
 
City: League City, Tx
Country: Texas
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish53 View Post
? Well yes I guess it was but as has been said "if the shoe fits" and yes I can and have done all with a single screw boat that I can with a twin.
Please send us a video of you doing multiple revolutions of your single turning in its own length!! I know what he is getting at. And no YOU canít do everything with a single that you can do with a twin. You might be able to do everything you need to operate the boat. But you certainly canít turn it in itís own length. Like you can a twin. And that alone makes the twin more maneuverable.
__________________

__________________
Prairie 29...Perkins 4236...Sold
Mainship Pilot 30...Yanmar 4LHA-STP...Sold
Carver 356...T-Cummins 330B...FOR SALE
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 11:48 AM   #83
Guru
 
Dougcole's Avatar
 
City: Carrabelle, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish53 View Post
"superior tone"? Well yes I guess it was but as has been said "if the shoe fits" and yes I can and have done all with a single screw boat that that I can with a twin, that apparently offends you in some way, good. It may be of some utility for you to contemplate that if I can do it you can too and if you can't then I suppose that makes me what? You got it.
Lol.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 12:23 PM   #84
Guru
 
Fish53's Avatar
 
City: Pitcairn Island
Country: yz
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Please send us a video of you doing multiple revolutions of your single turning in its own length!! I know what he is getting at. And no YOU canít do everything with a single that you can do with a twin. You might be able to do everything you need to operate the boat. But you certainly canít turn it in itís own length. Like you can a twin. And that alone makes the twin more maneuverable.
Anyone that can't back and fill with a single screw should stay in their SUV, there's also all kinds of things like actually knowing how to use springlines correctly or nudging the dock or a piling. As an expert you should know that not all twin screw boats can turn in their own length without thrusters. I'm sure you just forgot that? I can walk and chew gum and I can walk without crutches, I can also operate a boat without crutches as well. It's a shame that stuff like this gets turned into a pissing contest, please don't request video of that.
Fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 12:24 PM   #85
Guru
 
Fish53's Avatar
 
City: Pitcairn Island
Country: yz
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougcole View Post
Lol.
I'll take that as an acknowledgement. Thank you! You only have a 50ton license and thirteen years? I started with a 1600 ton 40 years ago and worked on the water for 15 years before that. Let the pissing begin!!
Fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 12:28 PM   #86
Guru
 
Sailor of Fortune's Avatar
 
City: Florida
Country: usa
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,006
alrighty then....
__________________
Jack ...Chicken of the sea! 1600 ton Master of towing/Oceans. 1600 ton Master/Oceans.
Sailor of Fortune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 12:46 PM   #87
Guru
 
OldDan1943's Avatar
 
City: Aventura FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 4,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish53 View Post
I'll take that as an acknowledgement. Thank you! You only have a 50ton license and thirteen years? I started with a 1600 ton 40 years ago and worked on the water for 15 years before that. Let the pissing begin!!
Oh goodie, a school yard fight!!!
My license is bigger than your license.
Oh yea?
Ya yea!!

FYI, years ago, I could 'light-off' a submarine nuclear powered steam plant.
These days, it would be unwise to let me heat a kettle of water w/o supervision
__________________
Did Noah have a get home-engine?
OldDan1943 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 12:58 PM   #88
Guru
 
Dougcole's Avatar
 
City: Carrabelle, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish53 View Post
I'll take that as an acknowledgement. Thank you! You only have a 50ton license and thirteen years? I started with a 1600 ton 40 years ago and worked on the water for 15 years before that. Let the pissing begin!!



Cool.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 01:24 PM   #89
TF Site Team
 
Baker's Avatar
 
City: League City, Tx
Country: Texas
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish53 View Post
Anyone that can't back and fill with a single screw should stay in their SUV, there's also all kinds of things like actually knowing how to use springlines correctly or nudging the dock or a piling. As an expert you should know that not all twin screw boats can turn in their own length without thrusters. I'm sure you just forgot that? I can walk and chew gum and I can walk without crutches, I can also operate a boat without crutches as well. It's a shame that stuff like this gets turned into a pissing contest, please don't request video of that.
Yep...you just admitted. You cannot do it! I have owned all configurations. Some are more maneuverable than others. Why you cannot admit that is beyond me. I can back and fill. I can spring ff of a dock. I can nudge a piling. AND I can admit some boats are more maneuverable than others. And YOU are the one that has turned this into a pissing contest. That happens when you act like a know-it-all child.
__________________
Prairie 29...Perkins 4236...Sold
Mainship Pilot 30...Yanmar 4LHA-STP...Sold
Carver 356...T-Cummins 330B...FOR SALE
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 01:24 PM   #90
Guru
 
Fish53's Avatar
 
City: Pitcairn Island
Country: yz
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Oh goodie, a school yard fight!!!
My license is bigger than your license.
Oh yea?
Ya yea!!

FYI, years ago, I could 'light-off' a submarine nuclear powered steam plant.
These days, it would be unwise to let me heat a kettle of water w/o supervision
As there seemed to be some disagreement and a license was presented as some form of credential it seemed only appropriate to respond in kind to support my position. Some people say things without applying sufficient thought and a slight correction is needed. There's an old saying " before you run down a blind alley to get into a dogfight it's good to know how big the other dog is". I apologize for not tiptoeing around others delicate sensibilities but I've never been very good at that.
Fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 01:39 PM   #91
Guru
 
Fish53's Avatar
 
City: Pitcairn Island
Country: yz
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Yep...you just admitted. You cannot do it! I have owned all configurations. Some are more maneuverable than others. Why you cannot admit that is beyond me. I can back and fill. I can spring ff of a dock. I can nudge a piling. AND I can admit some boats are more maneuverable than others. And YOU are the one that has turned this into a pissing contest. That happens when you act like a know-it-all child.
Not really sure where you get that from but I respectfully suggest you reread my initial comment. Careful examination will show that it wasn't directed at any specific individual, yet you made it so. While I'm more than impressed with your breadth of knowledge I'm not as impressed with your inability to present it in an intelligible form, a limitation that I'm confident accompanies your others. Just to make things clear I am hardly a child but while I am not a "no-it-all" I am quite well versed in the subject at hand. You may not like what I write but making a half baked attempt to refute it doesn't reflect well on you or your contentions. If it will bring a merciful end to this I'm happy to concede to whatever will accomplish that end and make you happy again. You are correct in every way and I was completely mistaken, please accept my humble apologies.
Fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 01:53 PM   #92
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish53 View Post
I'm constantly amazed by some comments about twin vs single engine. The common refrain is maneuverability and redundancy. A good boat handler can do anything with a single engine that you can do with two and proper maintenance and a little knowledge are all that's needed to avoid the expense and complexity of twins.
That’s correct of course but ....
Very few rec trawler skippers accumulate enough experience to become “good boat handlers”. I know I haven’t. I’m going down today to try some new backing in variations to what I have been doing. But I’ve witnessed some amazing skills demonstrated by fish boat skippers in Craig Alaska.

But most of us here just play w our toys.
Fish boats are mostly single screw for prop to fish gear clearance and economy. The big reason is economy.
But if I had the money I’d choose a twin. However the twin/single issue is far down on my list of preferences. It’s unlikely I’d buy a twin if I found a single I really liked. Like when I bought the Willard.
__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 02:25 PM   #93
TF Site Team
 
Baker's Avatar
 
City: League City, Tx
Country: Texas
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish53 View Post
Not really sure where you get that from but I respectfully suggest you reread my initial comment. Careful examination will show that it wasn't directed at any specific individual, yet you made it so. While I'm more than impressed with your breadth of knowledge I'm not as impressed with your inability to present it in an intelligible form, a limitation that I'm confident accompanies your others. Just to make things clear I am hardly a child but while I am not a "no-it-all" I am quite well versed in the subject at hand. You may not like what I write but making a half baked attempt to refute it doesn't reflect well on you or your contentions. If it will bring a merciful end to this I'm happy to concede to whatever will accomplish that end and make you happy again. You are correct in every way and I was completely mistaken, please accept my humble apologies.
Hey I can appreciate a passive aggressive childish apology like the next guy!! Thanks man!!
__________________
Prairie 29...Perkins 4236...Sold
Mainship Pilot 30...Yanmar 4LHA-STP...Sold
Carver 356...T-Cummins 330B...FOR SALE
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 02:41 PM   #94
Guru
 
City: Canaveral
Country: USA
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Oh goodie, a school yard fight!!!
My license is bigger than your license.
Oh yea?
Ya yea!!

FYI, years ago, I could 'light-off' a submarine nuclear powered steam plant.
These days, it would be unwise to let me heat a kettle of water w/o supervision

Ha! I can boil water with my twin kettle much faster than you can with your puny single kettle.
makobuilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 06:04 PM   #95
Guru
 
City: Rochester, NY
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Thatís correct of course but ....
Very few rec trawler skippers accumulate enough experience to become ďgood boat handlersĒ. I know I havenít. Iím going down today to try some new backing in variations to what I have been doing. But Iíve witnessed some amazing skills demonstrated by fish boat skippers in Craig Alaska.

I'll absolutely agree with this. I'd say my boat handling skills are "pretty good", certainly far better than the average few weekends a year boater that stops trying to improve their skills as soon as they can manage to get the boat in the slip without banging it off the dock 20 times. But compared to the professionals that are out there on their boats every day in all kinds of conditions fishing, towing, etc. my skills are probably complete garbage.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 07:16 PM   #96
Veteran Member
 
City: Long Beach
Country: USA
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 62
Superior skills didn’t help the Crabber in Oregon that capsized his 40’ boat with a full load of gear on the aft deck. I can’t find the video now but the vessel did a slow roll over after leaving the fuel dock. It looked like the C.G. of his gear exceeded his seamanship ability. https://www.kezi.com/content/news/4-...566511771.html

No dispersions intended against anyone on the forum. Anyone can have a bad day.
__________________
Jim Nance
T210DRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 07:44 PM   #97
Guru
 
FoxtrotCharlie's Avatar
 
City: Mississippi
Country: USA
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 662
When looking for a boat a few yrs ago I was set on a single, hopefully with bow thruster. But we found this nice 42' sundeck with twin Lehman 135's, and my wife loved the boat. While on the TN River this past fall we lost a transmission on the starboard side, at an inopportune time - was nice to have the 2nd engine. Two weeks later lost the port engine (fuel filter) while circling waiting for a lock - also nice then to have the 2nd engine. Lesson learned.
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 08:17 PM   #98
Guru
 
OldDan1943's Avatar
 
City: Aventura FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 4,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
But most of us here just play w our toys.
A bit of information I learned here or somewhere else.
Right turning screw, put the rudder over to 30 degrees port, slow in reverse, you will back straight. Practice that for a while.
__________________
Did Noah have a get home-engine?
OldDan1943 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 12:28 AM   #99
Master and Commander
 
markpierce's Avatar
 
City: Vallejo CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 11,573
My single propeller shaft came apart years ago. Thankfully, was drifting into my home berth at the time.
__________________
Kar-KEEN-ez Koot
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 12:31 AM   #100
Master and Commander
 
markpierce's Avatar
 
City: Vallejo CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 11,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
A bit of information I learned here or somewhere else.
Right turning screw, put the rudder over to 30 degrees port, slow in reverse, you will back straight. Practice that for a while.
But I have a counter-clockwise turning screw!
__________________

__________________
Kar-KEEN-ez Koot
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
caterpillar, mainship 350 390, single diesel, twin diesel, yanmar diesel

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×