Turning Off Your Diesel Engine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What on earth is an "electronic" transmission?

Shifts via electric solenoids? That's not electronic ... it's electrical.
In these computer days people like to call anything using electricity "electronic".

I had a 1970 OMC OB that shifted via electrical solenoid. No electronics ... just electrical.
Worked great by the way .. I loved it.

Solenoid operated hydraulic clutch control valves. Normal hydraulic transmission, but the solenoid valves replace the cable operated spool valve. And there absolutely are "electronics" involved.

Mines very simple.
Flick toggle 1 to power on and flick toggle 2 to start
Flick toggle 1 to power off.

Good grief 65 posts now...

giphy.gif

Turn Key "on". Advance throttle slightly. Press start. Retard throttle to easy idle. Go for ride. Pull to slow idle. Press "stop". Listen for horns. Turn key "off". Have adult beverage. I love Lehmans.

On mine, on the lower helm is a key switch on - off and a stop button. Turn key on and then press the button it starts, turn key off it stops. On the FB there are two buttons push the Start button it will start as long as the lower helm key is "ON", push the stop button and the engine stops. I almost always drive from FB but almost always turn the engine on or of from the lower station, in fact I don't remember ever using the FB buttons.

Self bleed by letting them sit for a while if you get air in there from a filter change or running out fuel - or self bleed through cranking?

My generator self bleeds, I think anyway - it has a small fuel pump that runs when you press the pre heat button. So after a filter change, I just do a couple preheat cycles and it cranks right up.

My mains have a plunger on the pump and need a quite a few pumps to get the air out when empty but once you do that they start just like normal (within 1-2 seconds)

I think there are some diesels, (international at least I recall from automotive days), that don't have return lines from the injectors, nor a prime pump so these have to be bled by cracking the fitting and cranking till your starter starts smoking.... and diesel everywhere.. literally an hour or more of clock time to fire them up if you get air in there.

I have keys and start button at the helm, no stop button. But I do have stop/start buttons on the flybridge (no keys up there). Only one have I used the stop button, a couple of days ago, and then needed to turn the key to stop the ECU, fuel pump and hourmeter.

Starting is always at dead idle. I usually leave the berth at idle very soon after starting, and run at about 1000 rpm for a couple of minutes. Then at a bit higher rpm until temp gauge is climbing, then up to cruise rpm.

Turn Key "on". Advance throttle slightly. Press start. Retard throttle to easy idle. Go for ride. Pull to slow idle. Press "stop". Listen for horns. Turn key "off". Have adult beverage. I love Lehmans.

:thumb: :socool: :D

Stop Button? Stop Button?.

WE don need no stinking Stop Button!

Just retard the throttle past the detent and our 6-71 stops

Credits to Treasure of Sierra Madre.

Stop Button? Stop Button?.

WE don need no stinking Stop Button!

Just retard the throttle past the detent and our 6-71 stops

Credits to Treasure of Sierra Madre.

Interesting, is it designed to stop if RPMs drop below a set idle?

Some engines from way-back are set up that way. Very simple arrangement.

Interesting, is it designed to stop if RPMs drop below a set idle?

Any engine will stop if run slow enough Not supplied with enough fuel to keep running. Diesel or gasoline.

I would not be happy with that arrangement because it would seem possible to accidentally stop the engine by pulling the throttle a little too hard when going for idle speed. Of course, you have what you have and I suppose you get used to it. I wouldn't walk away from an otherwise nice boat because of it.

As for 70+ posts on how to stop a diesel engine, not all engines are designed the same. Some manufacturers do it one way, some do it another way. On my Volvo. the switch has a spring loaded position that energizes a solenoid to cut off the fuel supply.

AOn my Volvo. the switch has a spring loaded position that energizes a solenoid to cut off the fuel supply.

So is that position to the left (anti-clockwise) and you also have a spring start to the right (clockwise)?

So is that position to the left (anti-clockwise) and you also have a spring start to the right (clockwise)?

Yep. Off is straight up, run is one click to the right, start is one more (spring return) to the right and stop is back past off to the left (spring return).

I say "run", but in reality, the engine will continue running in the off position but the gauges won't work.

With our Cummins electronically controlled engine we turn on the key and allow the fuel rail to come up to pressure. About 30 seconds. Then push the start button. To shut down, just turn off the key switch. There is a stop button, but we don't ever use it. Did use it the first few times we ran the boat becasue it was the habit from years of running diesel engines. But after about the third day we stopped using it. (As advised by Cummins that we did not need to use the stop button)

Some engines are more difficult to stop than others. For the one in the pics, it was still running after the train went through. 'nothing runs like a Deere' indeed!

Attachments

• JD train 1.jpg
    JD train 1.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 40
  • JD train 2.jpg
    JD train 2.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 40
  • JD train 3.jpg
    JD train 3.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 43
  • JD train 4.jpg
    JD train 4.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 47
  • JD train 5.jpg
    JD train 5.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 51
  • JD train 6.jpg
    JD train 6.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 38
  • JD train 7.jpg
    JD train 7.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 41
With our Cummins electronically controlled engine we turn on the key and allow the fuel rail to come up to pressure. About 30 seconds. Then push the start button. To shut down, just turn off the key switch. There is a stop button, but we don't ever use it. Did use it the first few times we ran the boat becasue it was the habit from years of running diesel engines. But after about the third day we stopped using it. (As advised by Cummins that we did not need to use the stop button)

OK, I have been using the stop button and have a similar engine as you do. This is my first larger engine so what do I know anyway?

The Cummins manual says:

"Engine shutdown
Turn the key to the OFF position.

Push the STOP button to stop the engine, or if equipped with a keyswitch only, turn the key to the OFF position."

The manual has the bold print.

So with our engines, what does either do? I assume that the STOP button shuts down the fuel supply via a solenoid but doesn't do anything else. Turning the key to the OFF position would shut down the same solenoid? It would also stop the fuel pump. Are there advantages to either? Why have a STOP button if it is not needed?

When we turn off our Luggers we first turn off the ignition switch and then push the engine kill button. Maybe there is a few seconds between them.

Has anyone else seen this? Thoughts?

Menzies:flowers:, For what reason I have never challenged, the PO instructed the same process.:confused: I can not offer any debate over 'Key first, same time,' positions.
On the surface, viewing all of the options on a white board, there appears no significant advantage to any individual choice. Tis the lucky one who is able to simply turn the key.
While I whistle in the wheel house, and bring bananas on board, the habit of key first and then the kill button shall continue to be the rule of the boat, as to why, "It's Magic!!":blush:

Al-Ketchikan

On my Perkins the Key Switch has to be in the on position for the fuel shut off solenoid to function.

Dave, I have a Perkins. As stated just a bit before, I shut the key off and the engine continues to run. Assume that is due to a mechanical fuel pump meaning no matter the position, power on or off, once the engine is running it will continue till the fuel is shut off. On our boat that it is the breaking or stopping the fuel supply. As that is an electrical act, one has to assume that the key switch doesn't affect the fuel issue till the physical act of pushing the fuel shut off button.

Am I incorrect? Or just confused?:ermm:

Al-Ketchikan

Dave, With our 2009/2012 Cummins, as soon as you turn off the key the engine stops, immediately. If you leave the Key on you could then stop the engine with the stop button. I am not sure why the stop button is there. On the bridge, we do not have a key, just a start and stop button. 8 years 2800 hours with no problems...well except for that lightning thing. . Oh and once a year we take our boat to a Cummins dealer. technician is fully Trained and certified. She does the same thing.

If you have a mechanical Lugger it is "energize to stop", with no on-engine protective devices. In your case, turning the key off before depressing stop really is of no benefit or detriment, therefore, neither does turning the key switch and depressing the button at the same instant provide any benefit or detriment.

If you have an Electronically controlled diesel (ECU/ECM to control fuel injection) then removing the run signal "just like you do in your car" by turning the key switch to "stop" is the most typical way to stop the engine.

At times, some manufacturers will use a separate "stop engine" command that can be activated separate from the ignition (run) circuit.

Since most Marine Propulsion Diesel engines start as automotive style variable speed engines, the key switch is the most common way to stop the engine.

Dave, With our 2009/2012 Cummins, as soon as you turn off the key the engine stops, immediately. If you leave the Key on you could then stop the engine with the stop button. I am not sure why the stop button is there. On the bridge, we do not have a key, just a start and stop button. 8 years 2800 hours with no problems...well except for that lightning thing. . Oh and once a year we take our boat to a Cummins dealer. technician is fully Trained and certified. She does the same thing.

Thanks. I just may start shutting the engine down with the key then when I am in the PH, which is the majority of the time.

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Trust everyone here can turn of their engine(s) without fail.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom