Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-14-2021, 10:36 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
City: Victoria B.C.
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 253
Tug conversion

This new mini tug should be an interesting conversion to a livaboard cruiser. IZ 1205 HDPE
Attached Thumbnails
R345.jpg   R414.png  
JWellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 11:54 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
City: Victoria B.C.
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 253
I would just extend the roof, have the top loaded with solar cells, and have the galley- saloon, up there, bunks, storage below, hybrid electric. Would be a nice litte boat for many.
JWellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 01:44 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
guy with a boat's Avatar
 
City: SoCal and Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 63
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 321
Seems a little like converting a dump truck into a motorhome. It could be done, but why would you?
guy with a boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 01:49 PM   #4
Guru
 
OldDan1943's Avatar
 
City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 8,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWellington View Post
This new mini tug should be an interesting conversion to a livaboard cruiser. IZ 1205 HDPE
https://izmirshipyard.com/boat-91-IZ_1205_HDPE_T.aspx

Obviously, the house needs to be extended and reworking the interior.
AND I am sure the shipyard would be more than happy to work with you with your needs and desires.
Of course, we have no idea of the price of the basic tug.
__________________
The meek will inherit the earth but, the brave will inherit the seas.
OldDan1943 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 01:53 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
City: Victoria B.C.
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy with a boat View Post
Seems a little like converting a dump truck into a motorhome. It could be done, but why would you?
Fair enough, but I think of it more as a van to rv. I like heavy, clunky looking boats. And it does have many attributes anyway. Foe example, with HDPE hulls, not only dont you have tp paint them, you dont even need antifouling.
JWellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 01:54 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
City: Victoria B.C.
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Yes, thats the one.
JWellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 02:21 PM   #7
Guru
 
Simi 60's Avatar
 
City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 3,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy with a boat View Post
Seems a little like converting a dump truck into a motorhome. It could be done, but why would you?
They do get done but the water they push and the HP required ain't exactly efficient



https://yachthub.com/list/boats-for-...eryacht/244397
__________________
Everything on a boat is broken, you just don't know it yet
Full time cruising is repairing boats in exotic locations
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 02:23 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
City: Victoria B.C.
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 253
OK, but that one is over 100 feet longer. But certainly a nice conversion.
JWellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 02:36 PM   #9
Guru
 
Simi 60's Avatar
 
City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 3,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWellington View Post
OK, but that one is over 100 feet longer. But certainly a nice conversion.
My point being is they have inordinate amounts of hp and push a lot of water for their size.

12m doing 12 knots with 350hp is far from economical
__________________
Everything on a boat is broken, you just don't know it yet
Full time cruising is repairing boats in exotic locations
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 02:38 PM   #10
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 18,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy with a boat View Post
Seems a little like converting a dump truck into a motorhome. It could be done, but why would you?
If you’re into the electro boat fad it makes a good choice.

Why? To carry all those heavy batts.
A guy was looking at Willy (30’ Willard .. 8 tons) and as we talked about it somebody went to Alaska on an extra light boat. But his was a solar panel boat. Can be done. But constantly charging and discharging the batts. Frequent layovers.

With the solar panels you can have a light boat w small batts and go relatively short distances. But accommodation wise not have much of a boat.

But w a heavy boat one has much more flexibility. And most likely a very much more seaworthy craft at the nasty places. And perhaps comfort of boat motion could even be more important.

But either light or heavy has an advantage.

The OP’s “liveaboard cruiser” shows an engine .. not a motor in the ER.
__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 02:55 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
City: Victoria B.C.
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
My point being is they have inordinate amounts of hp and push a lot of water for their size.

12m doing 12 knots with 350hp is far from economical
No problem, one could outfit with smaller motors, and move at 4 or 5 kts. Electric motors would save you more. Still, even an unmodified one would be way more economical than the 144' one you submitted. And I already knew it woyld take more fuel than some little 20' one.
JWellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 02:58 PM   #12
Guru
 
Simi 60's Avatar
 
City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 3,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
If you’re into the electro boat fad it makes a good choice.

Why? To carry all those heavy batts.
.

You can have a heavy boat that can carry a load yet still maintain some semblance of efficiency.
Water line length and a easily driven hull shape is the key.
Tugs with their house brick hull shape seem to rely on "brute force" to make way.
And, that not "slippery like a fish" hull shape will need more power to push
Don't think that would play nice with electric motors and batteries.
__________________
Everything on a boat is broken, you just don't know it yet
Full time cruising is repairing boats in exotic locations
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 03:03 PM   #13
Guru
 
Simi 60's Avatar
 
City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 3,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWellington View Post
No problem, one could outfit with smaller motors, and move at 4 or 5 kts.
Electric motors would save you more.
.
Do the numbers on that and report back

Can't imagine being limited to a 4 or 5 knot cruise speed, thems some slooooow miles



Quote:
Still, even an unmodified one would be way more economical than the 144' one you submitted
.
That was used as an example that tugs do get converted, nothing more.
__________________
Everything on a boat is broken, you just don't know it yet
Full time cruising is repairing boats in exotic locations
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 03:05 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
City: Victoria B.C.
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 253
Nomad Willy. Yes a good choice as a cruiser, or as a tugboat. And why? To carry 2 or 4 people all over the world. This one is 25% bigger than your friends boat, way mor solar capacity, and batteries. And if not to sunny up north, genset , and one could also put on a kite sail. That wont even sjade the solar panels. I think it would be a false good cruising boat. And a lot of benefits to an HDPE hull..
JWellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 03:09 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
City: Victoria B.C.
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 253
Simi, sure, for guys who want speed boats no good. Same as a guy who wants a sports car wont buy a van.For many 4 or 5kts is plenty. It still gets you around the world. And the benefits of the HDPE hull. It was an example of yet another tg boat conersion, and a good one for those who like clunky boats.
JWellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 03:17 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
City: Victoria B.C.
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
You can have a heavy boat that can carry a load yet still maintain some semblance of efficiency.
Water line length and a easily driven hull shape is the key.
Tugs with their house brick hull shape seem to rely on "brute force" to make way.
And, that not "slippery like a fish" hull shape will need more power to push
Don't think that would play nice with electric motors and batteries.
Efficiency was never touted in the OP. A full disp.hull dpesnt need too much brute force to glide slowly, but planning hul ls do, to get speed to plane on top. 4-5 kts, not much force. Its not clear why you think this boat would be any harder on electronics than any other one. Please explain.
JWellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 03:26 PM   #17
Guru
 
Simi 60's Avatar
 
City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 3,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWellington View Post
Simi, sure, for guys who want speed boats no good. Same as a guy who wants a sports car wont buy a van.For many 4 or 5kts is plenty. It still gets you around the world..
Have you ever been out in the wobbly stuff?
Unstabilised boats can and do roll terribly at low speed in a slop and often, going a bit faster smooths things out considerably

And I ain't talking speed boat here, still talking full displacement and under 10 knots.
__________________
Everything on a boat is broken, you just don't know it yet
Full time cruising is repairing boats in exotic locations
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 03:29 PM   #18
Guru
 
Simi 60's Avatar
 
City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 3,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWellington View Post
Efficiency was never touted in the OP. A full disp.hull dpesnt need too much brute force to glide slowly, but planning hul ls do, to get speed to plane on top. 4-5 kts, not much force. Its not clear why you think this boat would be any harder on electronics than any other one. Please explain.

I never mentioned electronics or planing hulls.

I mentioned electric motors (propulsion)

Why do you think all the electric car and boat guys build from composite and make slippery designs?
__________________
Everything on a boat is broken, you just don't know it yet
Full time cruising is repairing boats in exotic locations
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 03:31 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
City: Victoria B.C.
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Have you ever been out in the wobbly stuff?
Unstabilised boats can and do roll terribly at low speed in a slop and often, going a bit faster smooths things out considerably

And I ain't talking speed boat here, still talking full displacement and under 10 knots.
Yes, just two days ago.....and we got all the eay up to 3.8knots. Unstabilised? You must have heard that thete are al sorts of effective stabilizer systems out there. Some powered like Seakeeper,..others passive.
JWellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 03:54 PM   #20
Guru
 
Simi 60's Avatar
 
City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 3,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWellington View Post
Yes, just two days ago.....and we got all the eay up to 3.8knots. Unstabilised? You must have heard that thete are al sorts of effective stabilizer systems out there. Some powered like Seakeeper,..others passive.
If you can afford seakeeper surely you can afford something better than 40ft of 4 knot Tupperware?

Maybe a decent powercat, no stabilisers required and better suited for electric drive given their efficient hull shapes.
__________________
Everything on a boat is broken, you just don't know it yet
Full time cruising is repairing boats in exotic locations
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012