Trying to make a sound decision for the Loop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chrisaensing

Vessel Name
Pau Hana
Vessel Make
Camano / Troll
Some of the boats we are looking at (all single engine) 30' - 34' have cruise speeds of 12 - 18kts.
Question for the Loopers - Will a vessel that has a higher cruise speed perform adequately for such a long trip at a slower cruise speed or will it be frustrating and/or detrimental to run the boat below its cruise speed?
Before & after the Loop we'd like a boat with a little more speed.

It really doesn’t matter if the boat goes slower, all of them will, it matters if you are able to slow down and be content going slow. If you have the burning need to go fast, then buy a boat that goes fast. You can always run it slower, maybe giving up a bit of fuel efficiency but it probably won’t be a huge loss in fuel efficiency. Good luck in your search.

That makes sense, I just want to make sure that if I have a boat that cruises at say 16 knts but I run it 9 for long hours/miles am I killing it?

That makes sense, I just want to make sure that if I have a boat that cruises at say 16 knts but I run it 9 for long hours/miles am I killing it?
No.

I have done that most of the time I've owned our Mainship 34HT. Spent a few mos cruising lart of the loop last season and just tried to work it harder once a day.
You may be surprised, as we were, that you get very used to the slow lane and very happy with a slow cruise.

You will have daily opportunities to run up your speed. Bays, sounds, and rivers let you fast cruise.

I really don't think it would be a problem, but I would check to see what RPM it cruises at 7 knots. Some of the higher RPM diesels aren't very smooth below 1,000 RPM.

Ted

I have done that most of the time I've owned our Mainship 34HT. Spent a few mos cruising lart of the loop last season and just tried to work it harder once a day.
You may be surprised, as we were, that you get very used to the slow lane and very happy with a slow cruise.

The boat that seems to fit the bill for us (except for the "sleeps 4") seems to be the Mainship 30 Pilot. Engine room seems a little cramped.

Not unless it has Detroit Diesels: they will load up if run at low rpm, 800 to 1250, for days and days. Just get them up to 1900 once in a while until the smoke clears and have the oil hot enough to boil off the condensation. You have to burn the carbon off the turbos and get rid of the residue downstream. They will smoke pretty good for a few minutes, but it is normal.

Not unless it has Detroit Diesels: they will load up if run at low rpm, 800 to 1250, for days and days. Just get them up to 1900 once in a while until the smoke clears and have the oil hot enough to boil off the condensation. You have to burn the carbon off the turbos and get rid of the residue downstream. They will smoke pretty good for a few minutes, but it is normal.

Yes, I believe that is mentioned in the article

With friends like that you don't need our advise :). Big fan.

He's been a great friend, he & his family, they spend time here a couple of times a year. Smart dude, saved my last engine & I've learned a ton!

Wifey B: Faster, faster, faster. :speed boat:

Oh, sorry, but you can run a faster boat slower. :) Just can't run a slow boat faster. :nonono::nonono:

The extra speed might well come in handy along the way even if you try to conserve fuel most of the way. :)

Wifey B: Faster, faster, faster. :speed boat:

Oh, sorry, but you can run a faster boat slower. :) Just can't run a slow boat faster. :nonono::nonono:

The extra speed might well come in handy along the way even if you try to conserve fuel most of the way. :)

Agreed

Frankly, the loop requires a substantial amount of time on the boat. Personally I’d find the boat which made me most comfortable. Comfortable bed, cooking needs, salon.
And of course don’t forget to ask which anchor is best[emoji1]

As far as the boat and the engines are concerned there is no difference between 9 mph vs 15 mph. Suck a little more gas, vibrate a bit more, make a little more noise. It is still pretty much hull speed.

Its the perfect boat for the loop

Go for it!

pete

Check out the Symbol 42 named Snow Goose in Florida. Look at Yacht World.

We run our twin 450s for hours at somewhere between 900-1200 RPMs and usually 7-8 kts depending on tide/current/wind/etc. As long as engine temps are in the recommended operating range (they are), it's all good. Usually we just run up faster at the end of a day for a few minutes to engage the turbos for a bit...

-Chris

We run our twin 450s for hours at somewhere between 900-1200 RPMs and usually 7-8 kts depending on tide/current/wind/etc. As long as engine temps are in the recommended operating range (they are), it's all good. Usually we just run up faster at the end of a day for a few minutes to engage the turbos for a bit...

-Chris

Yes, That's what I have determined. Thanks for the input.

No more than you are "killing" a car which likes to cruise at 80 mph on hwys; when you do 40 mph on leisurely Sunday cruise through windy one lane back roads.

Albeit - some diesels do like to be temporally blasted [heated] open at higher rpm after hours of low rpm.

We did the Loop in a Mainship 40T with a 370 Yanmar at 8 knots and 1,000 hours with no detrimental effect on the engine. You will have plenty of opportunity to crank it up to make bridges or rush to port. Just run it at 80% of WOT for awhile every few days. This will bring the temps up in the combustion chamber and burn off the carbon that builds up after hours of slow running. Also put 2500 hours on twin Yanmar 440's the same way with no ill effect.

Between us, the PO and I have run my 3208’s for 9 yrs at 7-9 knots. They start instantly, the exhaust is clear as glass, and they purr like kittens while burning 4 gal/hr. If you follow previous advice about periodically running them up, change your oil & filter religiously, and follow maintenance recommendations, your biggest problem will likely get be who to leave them to in your will.

Wifey B: Our loop boat, 69'4", air draft 18'10", water draft 5'0", WOT 32 knots, Cruise 26-28 knots. Worked great for us with average of 6 on board. Not at all the norm though or what would work for most. Oh, and the next owner also did the loop with it and still owns it and plans to do it again one year. :D

Just listen, look, experience and then ultimately you have to decide yourselves. Notice the plural I used. Very subtle but very important. For a year or so, this will be your home and your transportation and your recreation. Sort of, your life.

You don't want anyone joining you, that's fine. Seems some here don't want to encourage guests. But great to pick up a couple in NYC and leave them in Rochester or another in Buffalo, visit the Falls, they leave you in Sandusky. Friends come to spend a week with you in Chicago or the adventuring type wants to join you for Lake Superior. Then even more as you reach the inland rivers after heading south.

Most wonderful way I can imagine to see this country, to meet this country. Oh, here I go again, slipping in a seemingly wrong word in "meet" this country. I think you can do that on the loop by meeting people throughout in all the communities, by experiencing just a little of each town, by going to local history museums.

You know how people always talk bad about others, enforce stereotypes? Well, now so many more places when someone does that, I can pop up and say, "They're not all like that. I met the nicest lady in the ice cream parlor and she owned the cutest store nearby and........one day can change your entire view of a town and it's people. :D:D

Wifey B: Our loop boat, 69'4", air draft 18'10", water draft 5'0", WOT 32 knots, Cruise 26-28 knots. Worked great for us with average of 6 on board. Not at all the norm though or what would work for most. Oh, and the next owner also did the loop with it and still owns it and plans to do it again one year. :D

Just listen, look, experience and then ultimately you have to decide yourselves. Notice the plural I used. Very subtle but very important. For a year or so, this will be your home and your transportation and your recreation. Sort of, your life.

You don't want anyone joining you, that's fine. Seems some here don't want to encourage guests. But great to pick up a couple in NYC and leave them in Rochester or another in Buffalo, visit the Falls, they leave you in Sandusky. Friends come to spend a week with you in Chicago or the adventuring type wants to join you for Lake Superior. Then even more as you reach the inland rivers after heading south.

Most wonderful way I can imagine to see this country, to meet this country. Oh, here I go again, slipping in a seemingly wrong word in "meet" this country. I think you can do that on the loop by meeting people throughout in all the communities, by experiencing just a little of each town, by going to local history museums.

You know how people always talk bad about others, enforce stereotypes? Well, now so many more places when someone does that, I can pop up and say, "They're not all like that. I met the nicest lady in the ice cream parlor and she owned the cutest store nearby and........one day can change your entire view of a town and it's people. :D:D

Yes looking forward to it. We are heading out Thursday down to Boca Grande to look at a couple Camano Trolls. Still has room so our (college age) daughters can meet us somewhere & spend a little time.

Some of the boats we are looking at (all single engine) 30' - 34' have cruise speeds of 12 - 18kts.
Question for the Loopers - Will a vessel that has a higher cruise speed perform adequately for such a long trip at a slower cruise speed or will it be frustrating and/or detrimental to run the boat below its cruise speed?
Before & after the Loop we'd like a boat with a little more speed.

If you can find one, look at an Atlas Acadia 32. A Yanmar 315 hp will run it up to about 24 knots. Nice cruise at 14 to 18, easy on fuel. Nicely equipped, mine had autopilot, AC, separate shower etc. Great down east looking boat.

Hard to find but great looking and great sea boat.

If you can find one, look at an Atlas Acadia 32. A Yanmar 315 hp will run it up to about 24 knots. Nice cruise at 14 to 18, easy on fuel. Nicely equipped, mine had autopilot, AC, separate shower etc. Great down east looking boat.

Hard to find but great looking and great sea boat.

That is a great looking boat, I like the separate shower. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom