trying to figure out WHAT boat to buy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

readytotravel

Good evening to all. Ok so please looking for the exact model and maybe were to find. So I have my wish list. First and both important must sleep 6 to 8 really want a 3 stateroom layout also fuel economy I think from everything post i have read would be a single screw trying to get to the 2 to 4 gph range if possible fuel capasity hopefully at 1000 my budget is 150,000 want that to be turn key us leaving for our adventure. Or a lower price and than upgrades but total budget is 150,000 We want to do coastal routes as well as crossings. Would like lots of help and direction Please I am pulling out my hair. Well whats left of it after the marine corps and life. Selling my house and living off my retirement please help Thank you so much for your time

Sorry, you need a much bigger budget to check off all the boxes on that wish list.

That's my first impression too. I'd also be curious as to what he has budgeted for maintenance and repair, which is largely driven by what his definition of "turn key" is and what his standards for seaworthiness, comfort and cosmetics are. Starts with understanding his experiences.

You also have to be careful about "how many a boat can sleep". It might be able to sleep 6-8 but people do not show up empty handed. They show up with all of their ****. So if you have 6-8 people sleeping on a boat, you have 6-8 people and all of their ****. And that requires a LOT of space and/or a very disciplined group of people(read not very much ****). Just my take as this is what the marketing department targets and also the first question someone asks me about my boat. IOW, the marketing department has done their job.

hello again My exp is not alot when it comes to a big ocean boat I know I am crazy. I have been on the water with smaller boats all of my life. I am very mechanical. Depending were the boat I finally found was would determine my first route. I.e west coast than would head south. My eventual would be florida through the islands and dream would go across to spain. I can truely spend upwards of 200k after mods or upgrades. The problem is I dont want to spend 200 after upgrades on a boat worth 130,000 I have it would be 4 to maybe 5 adults periodically and my kids periodically thus the 6 to 8 sleeping. I still have my business so i have income coming in for maintance and upkeep. can you achievce the say 1.5 to 4 with twin diesels? combined gph. or is it just a sinlge screw that will?

READYTOTRAVEL

You have a goal. You have a budget. Those two things may or may not be a little out of sync with each other.

What you need to do at this point is go visit harbors. Walk along the docks. See some real boats.

We often cannot do so much to change our budget, but we can always modify our goals.

Do you need to cross actual oceans, like cross the Atlantic, or is cruising along a coastline ok???
Do you need to sleep 1-2 all the time and 6-8 occasionally, or all the time???

People come here with a dream. Sometimes the best advice we can as a group give is to look at your dream, and tweak it a bit to fit your reality.

Last edited:
There are older boats capable of you wants in the 50+ range, but there are very few. Most are priced in the 200k to 750k. To get the mpg the boat mph is hull speed, 6 to 10 mph, and simgle engine. Usually the larger the boat the the more it sleeps and larger the tanks.

Our trawler fits your needs. 60 ft, 3 state rooms, single engine, 1200 gallons, range 2000 to 3000 miles. We lived on the eagle for 18 years and we keep her in show condition ready to throw of the lines and go. So they are out there but hard to find. :flowers:

READYTOTRAVEL

People come here with a dream. Sometimes the best advice we can as a group give is to look your dream, and tweak it a bit to fit your reality.

AMEN BRUTHA!!!!! RTT...read that line over and over and over. You have seen marinas full of boats that never move and you scratch your in wonderment....WHY???? It is because those people had a dream...and it was nowhere near reality. To put it another way...don't try to "make your dreams a reality". Try to make your reality more like your dreams!!!

The question Kevin asks is a good one....is it just two people 95% of the time with an occasional influx of kids/grandkids??? If so, get the boat that is geared for two with "camping accommodations" for more. But, an aft cabin motoryacht style boat sounds like you could do it. Look at my boat. 35 feet. Comfortable aft cabin and forward cabin for two in each. A convertible dinnette for another two. And a couch. So I "could" sleep 7. But no clue where I would put everyone's "****". An ACMY in the mid 40s would obviously serve better than mine(I was just using mine as an example) and more room.

Also, in mentioning my boat, do not overlook boats like Carver as a solution to your "problem". You can find Carvers in the mid 40s....440...445...455...456 that would serve well in MOST of your applications. It is obviously not an ocean going vessel but I would have no problem cruising the islands in it. These boats are also right in the wheelhouse of your budget and very clean ones can be found in the price range.

Can they get down to 4gph at 8 knots...you bet. And they can also cruise in the upper teens at a very significant fuel penalty. I have friends that are doing the loop right now in a Carver 440(Cat 3116 power). They are in Lake Michigan right now and the boat has served perfectly....very comfortable boat and can be almost as efficient as most of the bigger twin engine boats on here. I am not pushing the Carver/major manufacturer angle. I am just saying don't overlook it. There is a tremendous amount of value in "big boats" in very decent condition without all of the problems of Taiwanese boats....namely wood and bad places and window leaks and overall questionable construction. Carver/Sea Ray et al built to a standard(ABYC and NMMA) at the very least. My boat is surprisingly very well engineered. IOW, I could tell someone was thinking instead of just glassing over things that need to be accessed later. I had a Beneteau sailboat where backing plates were glassed over as well as wires running behind/underneath the glass!!!! I also had a Catalina that was very well thought out. Good luck!!! Exciting times ahead!!!

Last edited:
I agree that Kevin's advice is right on.

Having said that... I would look at the type of boat that Kevin has, a Bayliner 4788. Off all the boats that I am aware of, it is likely going to come the closest to meeting your list. Older Bayliners are a real bargain on the market, will get decent fuel economy if driven at displacement speeds and have lots of room. They, like any other older boat, will not be without issues however. My guess is that you will need to rethink your definition of turn-key or your budget.

As other have mentioned, a boat in the 45+ foot range is simply expensive to own. Fuel costs are going to be the least of it.

ok so listening to multiple people yes the transatlantic is out. I have like i said put my house of for sale I am a go getter when i set my goals i go after them and do it.. I have been looking for the past year and have been up and down docks and talked to multiple people about there boats. well never about crossing the atlantic part. Just about going south and the canel or all the way south and around to brazil and back to the islands many people say it is easily doable in a travel/crusier. so wish list first fuel economy 1.5 to 4 tops second it will almost always be 4 adults the campers we can find space for. second is fuel tank cap say 950 or more would that be sufficent??? also say full covered for space needs to relax. i have seen some defever and broadfire trawlers I am 1000 percent open to any ideas to suit my wants... please help

Yeah, that "crossing the Atlantic" thing would add a whole 'nother order of magnitude to the complexity of your shopping.

Hold that in abeyance -- transatlantic airline flights are relatively WAY cheaper -- and you can probably solve 75-90% of your wants/needs during the shopping phase.

-Chris

I think some older DeFever 44s might get you there???

Sleeping 6-8 adults will take a big boat, especially with all their "stuff" as Baker so eloquently noted.

Little kids, you can pile them up on a sofa and they sleep just fine.

A 40-45' boat can sleep two in luxury, four in comfort, six in a pinch.... AND is easily handled by two, even one in good conditions.

I would not go so big that you can take everyone that wants to go. That is not a reasonable way to spec a boat. Spec one that fits your needs 80% of the time and the remaining 20% revise your needs.

everything on the list is doable (not easy but doable for the stated budget). Adding ocean crossing to the list pretty much kills it.

Yeah, that "crossing the Atlantic" thing would add a whole 'nother order of magnitude to the complexity of your shopping.

Agreed. In fact, even thoughts of the canal, and especially, thoughts of going around the long way, are probably too ambitious at this point. Getting from San Diego to Cabo takes a more seaworthy and self-sufficient boat than many that will otherwise seem to fit your criteria. As one example, especially with 8 people on board, you are going to need to be able to make water.

So, if it were me, I think I would start with a boat that can safely and comfortably get you 200 nm between ports. That won't get you to Cabo (let alone anywhere further south, but it satisfy your need for local cruising and after you get some experience, at least from So. Cal to the PNW.

I think you should keep in mind that any boat is able to cross the Atlantic, some on there own bottom and some by being shipped. In addition there are charter boats available in lots of interesting places.
If you include either of those options in your planning it may change the boat you think you are looking for.

Back
Top Bottom